Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2017-08-02, 12:49pm

Default Smith little torch for glass lamp work and jewelry? Anyone?

Hi!

I'd like to buy a torch for glass bead making and jewelry(mostly silver and 10K gold).

I don't want to spend money to buy two torches(glass and jewelry) for now.

Can I use Smith little torch to make glass beads? I might buy different tips for the bigger frame for glass frame work.

1. Smith Heating Tips(Propane or Natural Gas 13717)
https://www.riogrande.com/Product/Sm...ral-Gas/500022

2. Shelbo Whisper Tips (50 holes)
http://www.artcoinc.com/shelbo_tips.php

I know I can use a little torch for jewelry.
Is there anyone who uses Smith little torch for glass bead making?

* Anyone selling used torches? oxygen generator? *

Thank you!
Old 2017-08-05, 3:29pm
I'm meeeeelting

You can use one with both glass and metal, but It's such a small flame that I think it'd be challenging for general beadmaking. Can't say that I've tried it for that, though.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2017-08-09, 3:11pm
ManBearPig

Works just fine. Just use the largest tip you have. I've done it. Not as fast as a regular torch, and I think if I made something too big it would be a challenge. But it's about the same size as the center fire of a Carlise CC so it's just fine for glass.

Old 2017-08-18, 10:59am

When I first took lessons, I tried using the torch I use for silver jewelry-a welding torch on propane/oxygen. It has a much bigger opening than my Smith mini torch which I use for soldering gold. You CAN use it. My main problem was strapping it to my bench and the angle was wrong. There are enough challenges in melting glass that struggling with the torch was not right for me. The right tool makes the job easier. Good luck!
Old 2017-08-18, 12:53pm
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicki Gough View Post
When I first took lessons, I tried using the torch I use for silver jewelry-a welding torch on propane/oxygen. It has a much bigger opening than my Smith mini torch which I use for soldering gold. You CAN use it. My main problem was strapping it to my bench and the angle was wrong. There are enough challenges in melting glass that struggling with the torch was not right for me. The right tool makes the job easier. Good luck!
Yeah. I put a towel around mine and put it in a vice. I don't recommend doing that.