Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2010-12-14, 4:35pm

Default Bead Tutorials

So - I am thinking about putting some of my bead recipes into a tutorial to sell on Etsy. I have completely stopped making beads (am now studying homeopathy) but I feel like I would like my little babies to continue to go out into the world somehow. Does anyone know how people are putting these tutorials together? I see they are in PDF files. Do you create them in Adobe Acrobat or in some other program? I used to have Quark but don't have that anymore either - don't really have a graphics program at this point. My website is going to run out soon and I just took a look at it and feel kinda sad. But it was time to move on and I am happy with my decision. Just kinda miss looking at those beads - not making them - just looking at them(:

Sandy
Old 2010-12-14, 4:47pm
Storm Queen

This is what I used:
http://download.cnet.com/Microsoft-O...-10704824.html

The full version is free for 60 days.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-12-15, 5:33am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandree View Post
So - I am thinking about putting some of my bead recipes into a tutorial to sell on Etsy. I have completely stopped making beads (am now studying homeopathy) but I feel like I would like my little babies to continue to go out into the world somehow. Does anyone know how people are putting these tutorials together? I see they are in PDF files. Do you create them in Adobe Acrobat or in some other program? I used to have Quark but don't have that anymore either - don't really have a graphics program at this point. My website is going to run out soon and I just took a look at it and feel kinda sad. But it was time to move on and I am happy with my decision. Just kinda miss looking at those beads - not making them - just looking at them(:

Sandy
I offer tutorial writing services. If you need help, I'll be glad to assist you...

Old 2010-12-15, 2:16pm
Alaska Boro

One can use WORD and then the free version of Cute PDF Writer to convert to a PDF.

http://www.cutepdf.com/

There instructions are as follows.

"To use CutePDF Writer, open the file that you would like to print to PDF. Select the Print option (usually found under File > Print), and select "CutePDF Writer" from the list of available printers (DO NOT select Print to File option) to print. You will be prompted to select the destination directory and filename for your output file."

Adobe PageMaker is also a nice program to layout text and graphics. However, it has a rather steep learning curve and has been replaced by InDesign CS5. This would be overkill for your application not to mention the price.

You can most likely try any program you are familiar with to create a test page with images and text. WORD works but is clunky. Some others have used Excel with success. And there are some online sites that will take your file upload and create the PDF.

Some other free choices.

http://www.primopdf.com/index.aspx
http://www.dopdf.com/
http://www.freepdfcreator.org/

Let us know what you found as your solution.

Last edited by Alaska; 2010-12-15 at 2:35pm.
Old 2010-12-15, 2:19pm
Storm Queen

I have Adobe Pagemaker and it was extremely confusing. Office Publisher was super easy.

Old 2010-12-18, 11:05am
Master Procrastinator

Sandee, this is so exciting! You were my 1st boro teacher & I learned lots from you! I have Win7 & it can easily save a Word document into a PDF file. I've been a tester for a few other's tutes & am very good at editing so just give a holler if you want/need my help.

Old 2010-12-18, 9:06pm

Open Office (free) can make pdf documents. I just converted a text document to pdf with no trouble.

http://download.openoffice.org/

You want to make it all in its native format, .odf , it has a little trouble with formatting .doc files.