No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-12-30, 7:07pm
Formerly Kellyhorton

Default clear glass

I keep searching for the thread with the name of that new clear glass that is so cheap that everyone says they love in 104, but cant remember who makes it? I even think people were encasing double helix with it? the glass is 104 though. any help would be greatly appreciated

Is this it? 591006 Effetre Super Clear ? just wanted to double check before I order.

MEAN PEOPLE SUCK
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

In the '60's, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.

Last edited by dragonfly designs 56; 2010-12-30 at 7:09pm.
Old 2010-12-30, 7:09pm
Never give up

http://www.devardiglass.com/ This is the only cheap glass I know of.
Old 2010-12-30, 7:20pm
Formerly Kellyhorton

This is specifically all clear glass (for like encasing?)

MEAN PEOPLE SUCK
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

In the '60's, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.
Old 2010-12-30, 7:27pm
Miles from nowhere...

Kelly,
I know a lot of people like the Reichenbach Crystal Clear. I just got my second order of it and I really like it. For what it's worth- I also ordered Moretti SC in the great big rods. I just used my first one this afteroon. I pulled it down into a smaller rod and picked off a few scratches, but it looked awesome. I had read somewhere that others had felt the Moretti SC was really good right now.

Kate

Old 2010-12-30, 7:36pm
honorary bead lady

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...re+super+clear
Old 2010-12-30, 8:58pm
Lover of all things color

Boy, this is kind of a can of worms...everyone loves something different. I do have a lot of good luck with Effetre Super clear but you really have to wipe it with a good micro towel first. I find that the larger rods say 6-7 or 7-8mm are cleaner and I get very few bubbles.

But, everyone who posts here is going to have a different opinion and they will all be right, for them. You really have to get a bit of each of it and just see which one works best for you.

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2010-12-30, 9:02pm
honorary bead lady

Jan did you see Patty's blog on using pickle on clear?
Old 2010-12-31, 5:50am

No David...pickle...as in juice??? Do tell...LOL I have some of those alcohol wipes but keeping them near the torch is a bit dicey. But something to do with pickles???

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2010-12-31, 5:55am

Ooooh...that pickling...I found it David. You know, as long as the micro rag works I'll just stick with it. That sounds like a lot of mess. But, it would be nice to be able to use just plain clear and have it be clean.

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2010-12-31, 7:47am
Formerly FishBulb

There's another recent thread on here somewhere where people are complaining their recent batch of Super Clear seems to have cracking issues.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2010-12-31, 8:37am
Lampworkaholic!

I love the current batch of Super Clear and have had no cracking issues, but your mileage may vary.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2010-12-31, 9:13am
Formerly FishBulb

Ah, here we go:

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=183206

I have an older batch of MSC, maybe a year old or so, and while I do have to be a little careful with it I love it and rarely get scumming. Maybe I'd better use it sparingly.

Old 2010-12-31, 9:15am
MacGalver

David ~ Patty who? Link please? Are we talking about using silversmithing pickle? Interesting!

And what alcohol micro wipes? I suddenly feel so clueless.....

Jo

Last edited by Frit Diva; 2010-12-31 at 9:18am.
Old 2010-12-31, 9:25am
uncouthful cats

I had some cracking with the Moretti/Effetre super clear last year, but I bought some of the 6-7mm rods & have had no problems with them.

Oh no! The cats forgot to vacuum AGAIN!
Old 2010-12-31, 10:27am
Formerly FishBulb

Jo, a link to Pat Franz's blog where she talks about pickling is in the first post of this thread:

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=183292

Old 2010-12-31, 11:00am
MacGalver

Thanks Angie!

Jo

Old 2010-12-31, 11:13am

I have a brand new batch of the larger rods of MSC that I'm going to take down today. Crossing fingers that it won't cause me grief.

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2011-01-01, 6:43am

I am the one who started the thread about my superclear cracking. It seems to be ok on smaller beads. But 3 of my focals cracked. One was cracked in 4 places! Argh! Why do I make the sound of a pirate? Because pirates don't like cracked beads! lol

Old 2011-01-02, 9:15pm
Formerly Kellyhorton

Thanks everyone

MEAN PEOPLE SUCK

Old 2011-01-03, 12:09am
Flame On!

Hi Kelly, I think I own every clear on the market, I love to encase and decided my 2nd day on a torch that every single bead needs to be smothered in clear, lol. And ALL the trouble HAD to be the brand of glass, right????? The best is Aether from Double Helix. I don't think you could burn or scum that stuff no matter what. I wish I could afford to use that all day everyday. The super soft for hot heads by Lausha comes in a very close 2nd. It works so easy that you can pull a very thin skin, so you don't have to glop it on. It's most likely much more expensive than MSC, but I am learning to make more bead and less encasing, lol. The reformulated clear from Lauscha is too hard and stiff, and I use a mini cc. I tried that first, because I thought you HAD to be on a hot head for the other(duh). Frankly, I had a lot of problems with cracked encasing until I turned up my kiln to 985. I haven't had one bead crack since and haven't had any issues with any other glass and compatability or the heat of the kiln. I use devardi, moretti, vetrofond, double helix, tag, reichenbach, ornela(?). I wish I could use the cheaper stuff, maybe one day my skills will be honed to where I can, there's always hope!!!!

Old 2011-01-13, 4:11pm
Formerly Kellyhorton

Default current favorite clear 104

ok, sorry, I know this changes week to week and since I need to order some now, and know some places that are having sales, and batches are different, thought I would ask. Whats your favorite clear this week

MEAN PEOPLE SUCK

Old 2011-01-13, 4:18pm
Jacqueline Parkes

I have switched to moretti pale aqua and I couldn't be happier. Not a clear I know but it is working great for me is way cheaper and me beads look the same!

Old 2011-01-13, 4:53pm
Sheila Davis Designs

Effetre Super Clear.

Old 2011-01-13, 4:57pm
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

I loooove aether, but Effetre super clear cant be beaten in the quality-price comparison. So I only use my aether sparingly, and prefer super clear with silver glass. Unles I want greenish look...
Old 2011-01-13, 5:09pm

I wish I only owned Aether...pounds of it!! I like clarity too, but actually have NOT tried effetre super clear yet..probably because I'm fed up[ with any other effetre clear

Duane

REVAMPED WEBSITE NOW OPEN

Old 2011-01-13, 6:21pm

Hi everyone! I haven't posted here very much, but was actually just thinking about this subject. I have been using, and love, Tag Clarity. I also love Aether, but only use it once in a while because of the way it reacts with silver glass. I almost forgot to mention Reichenbach clear. Love that one, too, but it is a bit stiff. The last batch of MSC I had was not so great. Does anyone know what supplier currently has a good batch of MSC? Thanks!
Old 2011-01-13, 7:13pm
Lampworkaholic!

TAG Clarity is the most awesome clear I have ever worked with.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2011-01-13, 7:16pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I doubt the answer has changed all that much in two weeks since you last asked this question.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2011-01-13, 7:47pm
Live and Let Live

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=183337

Ah... consolidated! Thanks Corri!

Last edited by GlassGalore; 2011-01-13 at 8:49pm.
Old 2011-01-13, 9:27pm
Formerly Kellyhorton

ooops, I think its this chantix. Making me way duh.....thanks everyone

MEAN PEOPLE SUCK