No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-05-31, 8:08pm
I ate a big red candle!

Default Etching a strand of beads

For those of you who use etching cream. Do you have a particular method for etching a set? I have a bunch of strands of beads to etch and I end up dipping them in with a hook, rattling them around in the liquid and once I've cleaned them I find that I miss a random dot.

Anybody have any efficient methods for doing this? Maybe I need to keep them unstrung and use a strainer or something.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My fledgling etsy shop

Old 2011-06-01, 1:48am
Resident hippie

Use etching liquid.

Have FUN!!!!! It's not about perfection..... Leslie - [not so] Crazy Woman

Old 2011-06-01, 2:36am
one day at a time

Etching liquid, and so the etch gets in all around and there are no shiny spots, I use 4mm crystal bicone beads in between to keep them separated. Strung on a piece of fishing line. Bob them up and down a few times during the etching time. I leave mine in for 5-6 minutes.

Got that idea from someone in this forum and it was pretty clever I thought.
Old 2011-06-01, 2:41am
Entropy increasing....

Who is it who sells the crystals?
Old 2011-06-01, 4:09am

If etching beads you are making ... I use a small paint brush, paint it on while they are still on the mandrels and stand them in a clean plastic container until they're done. Clean as usual.

Cheryl

Old 2011-06-01, 4:50am
Resident hippie

I think Lisi probably uses crystals she already has. I wouldn't go out and buy crystals for this purpose Kevan. Just use beads with a small end so the etching liquid can reach your bead ends.

Have FUN!!!!! It's not about perfection..... Leslie - [not so] Crazy Woman

Old 2011-06-01, 10:18am
Entropy increasing....

No, I mean the etching crystals you add to water to make etching liquid.
Old 2011-06-01, 10:21am
Growing Edge Glass

Donna....of Zen-Mom (The Mandrel) on LE is who I've purchased those etching crystals from...love them!

Just mix with water and swirl your beads in the liquid....etches better and smoother than the cream or other etching liquids I've used.

-glass cabochons, clay pendants~~~
-jewelry~~~
~~~

Last edited by Truewealth; 2011-06-01 at 10:34am.
Old 2011-06-01, 10:55am
T.J. made me do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevan View Post
No, I mean the etching crystals you add to water to make etching liquid.
Arrow Springs has them as well and they work great!

Old 2011-06-01, 11:00am
Ellyloo-YAH!

I used to do them on a long string in liquid, making sure the beads aren't touching each other, so a knot in between each....otherwise the shoulders all had shiny spots where they protected each other.
then have the tail hang out of the jar, with the lid on, so you could just pull them out easily.

Old 2011-06-01, 6:47pm
Happy Inner Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellyloo View Post
I used to do them on a long string in liquid, making sure the beads aren't touching each other, so a knot in between each....otherwise the shoulders all had shiny spots where they protected each other.
then have the tail hang out of the jar, with the lid on, so you could just pull them out easily.
Yep, that's the best way.
Arrow Springs is the brand I have, even though I bought it in Oz

rusticalsfreestyle on Instagram

SRA# P107
Old 2011-06-01, 7:34pm
I ate a big red candle!

thanks everyone. I had some other beads that I used a little spacer on when I dipped them and it worked a lot better.

My fledgling etsy shop

Old 2011-06-01, 11:39pm
one day at a time

The tying knots in between each beads drove me batty! It took way to long and I still had shiny shoulders and where the knot was, little shiny places near the hole. That's why I love the idea of using little pointed bicone crystal beads. Those little points get down in the holes so all of the bead gets etched evenly.

I've used my 4mms over and over for many etchings and so far they are holding up and not "ate up" yet! I have extra on hand for when they start to show signs of disintegration.
Old 2011-06-02, 1:18am
Entropy increasing....

Thanks, Mikelene! I got ordered some today.
Old 2011-06-02, 8:57am
Ellyloo-YAH!

I'd also do it on wire -- kink the wire between each bead. then snip it all away after.

Old 2011-06-03, 9:56pm

I just put them on a thin wire, plop them in the tall container, close the lid and swirl as I let them etch. I swirl once in a while and then pull out.

No knots, no between beads, no kinks, just on wire.

Become a fan on Facebook: