Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-05-18, 7:39am
I ate a big red candle!

Default Can I salvage my Etching Solution?

So for some reason I thought it would be a good idea to add some water to my thickening container of etching cream. Now when I etch beads they come out feeling a lot rougher and they look like they have a white residue on them that I can't seem to remove.

Anybody done this? Or am I the only dope who thought it would be a good idea.

If it's not salvageable anybody have any suggestions for what to get next? I bought this stuff from Michael's years ago.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My fledgling etsy shop

Old 2011-05-18, 10:03am
Cat herder

Not sure what kind you're using, but the ones I've used have Hydrofluoric Acid to etch the glass, thickeners, and some Ammonia or other base. When you rinse it, the water allows the base to neutralize the acid, making it safe for disposal. By adding water, you may have allowed this to happen (at least partially). If so, it can't be reversed.

What brand, and what are the ingredients?

No fancy signature yet.
Old 2011-05-18, 4:30pm
I ate a big red candle!

It's armor etch cream from michaels'

I looked at the instructions and it says to neutralize with water when finished etching, so yeah it looks like I messed up the jar. Rah!

Oh well...live and learn I guess.

My fledgling etsy shop

Old 2011-05-18, 10:37pm
I ate a big red candle!

Anybody have any recommendations for the best etching solution? Doesn't look like Michael's has it anymore

My fledgling etsy shop

Old 2011-05-19, 6:11am
honorary bead lady

Water does NOT neutralize it, it dilutes it to a safe level to dispose of it, adding water didnt hurt it a bit.
Some glasses etch a lot faster than others, how long was it on the bead? big factor!
White residue? as in FROSTED glass????

You are using a chemical that disloves glass it's not going to be all shiny and smooth afterwards
Old 2011-05-19, 6:16am
Growing Edge Glass

See Donna of Zen-Mom on LE...she sells etching crystals and they etch beautifully!

-glass cabochons, clay pendants~~~
-jewelry~~~
~~~
Old 2011-05-19, 1:01pm
Ellyloo-YAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by houptdavid View Post
Water does NOT neutralize it, it dilutes it to a safe level to dispose of it, adding water didnt hurt it a bit.
Some glasses etch a lot faster than others, how long was it on the bead? big factor!

You are using a chemical that disloves glass it's not going to be all shiny and smooth afterwards
there's probably white residue on top of the frosted part of the glass--i've had that happen before.

Sounds like she has etched before--it just isn't coming out right now that she's added water to the solution.

Old 2011-05-19, 2:48pm
I ate a big red candle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by houptdavid View Post

I etched half the set before adding water and half afterwards and there is a huge difference in texture and residue.

First ones are soft and even and after adding water the next ones are rough and patchy looking. I tried scrubbing the residue off with baking soda and a toothbrush with no luck.

I'll probably just order more and this jar will sit in a drawer for eons

My fledgling etsy shop

Old 2011-05-19, 4:10pm
SSDD... go ahead, ask me!

Is there a safe place you can put it with the jar open? The water will evaporate and then your solution, I think, should be fine.
Old 2011-05-19, 5:13pm
I ate a big red candle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elegance_1 View Post
Is there a safe place you can put it with the jar open? The water will evaporate and then your solution, I think, should be fine.
I'll give that a try and let you guys know what happens. Thanks for the suggestion

My fledgling etsy shop