Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2008-05-09, 10:41am
novembersfyre everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by midniteburner View Post
Gorgeous beads!

I really wish people would quit with the "I created the..."

Sara

Nice tut, Mopnglo! I wouldn't worry about stepping on people's toes. I have beads with flowers similar to yours that I purchased almost ten years ago.
Ditto for beads with sunflowers that cover the entire surface and drape down the sides.

It is really nice that people who do those styles are willing to share their personal techniques, however

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-05-09, 12:13pm
I speak Murrini!

EEEKKK!!!! I sure didn't mean to "derail" to "pollute" the thread with my posting...I'm all about sharing, and by every means, it's way better than to have TOO MANY than TOO LITTLE responses, tutorial suggestions, and options!

I don't think anyone will mind Mopnglo's great tutorial information and directions. They are great, and I think lay the foundation for making a wonderful floral/daisy bead! Love the way your's looks!!!

I, too, have a big problem with the whole "proprietary" perspective that people have RIGHTS to certain design ideas, etc. I've come to learn that (in almost every single case) no matter how hard you try to COPY someone else's "work", it always (and rightly!) takes a turn one way or another, and becomes your own style and application.

Thanks for posting your "how to", Mopnglo! I'm going to try it too!

DeAnne in CA

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2008-05-09, 1:57pm
moth to the flame

Thanks bunches Mopnglo!!!

I am so gonna try these!

May you always have love to share, health to spare, and friends that care.
Old 2008-05-10, 9:11am

You are very welcome. I'm glad I could contribute. It's not a very good tut, but some times it's the little things that make you go....Oh! I didn't think to do that.

DeAnne please don't think I was implying you were trying to derail anything, that wasn't my intention. Some times there seems to be an unwritten law about what is acceptable and what isn't. I just didn't want to do some thing, innocently, and it be considered "unacceptable" Ya know? I'll learn one of these days and not feel so hand shy.

Happy bead making!
Old 2008-05-10, 9:58am
Entropy increasing....

Quote:
The gerbera daisy was discovered in 1884 near Barberton, South Africa, by Scotsman Robert Jameson. While the flower’s scientific name, Gerbera jamesonii, recollects the name of its founder, the meaning of its common name draws from German naturalist Traugott Gerber. Breeding programs that began in England in 1890 enhanced the flower’s quality and color variations. The gerbera daisy’s popularity soon traveled to growers in the Netherlands which, along with Columbia, is the primary distributor of the flower’s cut version today. The gerbera currently ranks as the fifth most popular flower in the world behind the rose, carnation, chrysanthemum, and tulip.

The meanings of gerbera daisies stem from those attributed to the general daisy family. These meanings include innocence and purity, and daisies are also a classic symbol of beauty. However, the gerbera variety holds an added meaning of cheerfulness, which stems from the assortment of colors available.
http://www.proflowers.com/flowerguid...-meanings.aspx

I wasn't trying to make anyone "fee stupid", just correcting an error. Lots of people make it. It's hardly something worth "feeling stupid" over.
Old 2008-05-10, 3:07pm

Mopnglo - Excellent explanation. Thanks for the tutorial! I never would have thought about pulling towards the center.

...overlooking Mill Creek on the Chesapeake Bay...
Old 2008-05-10, 8:03pm
Uh-oh means it's too late

Wow great tut!!! I was also thinking of how beautiful the centers are of this flower- You could take some mango/coral and encase in clear pull stringers and then layer a clear rod with them pull it down some and cut into millefiori slices add to the centers and then plunge the center to get the cupped look and add dark amber dots for the very center- another thought encase in trans pink? I don't know if it reacts with the mango or not but that would give it a more natural look while still keeping the definintion of the center stamens(?). Hope this helps with design ideas. I have played around with the layered look for sunflowers I will post the bead tomorrow maybe it will help!
Michelle,
www.sundoorbeads.com
Old 2008-05-12, 10:32pm

Great Job Mopnglo! Can't wait to try it out!!

Lynn
Old 2008-05-12, 10:37pm
I speak Murrini!

Terri~Thanks for your sweet words...and for SURE, I know exactly what you mean!~

Looks like this tutorial is back on track...where it belongs! Thanks for your great guidance!

DeAnne in CA

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2008-05-14, 12:31am
Formerly Deesigned Beads

Lol, I am amazed about how much you like one of our local flowers!

My b/f have one that has been blooming in a little jar on his table for 2 weeks straight! When we planted some shrubs in his garden, the one stem got damaged.

Anyway, I know it as the Barberton Daisy (that might be where it originated from), and have been playing making beads from it myself. Unfortunately my kiln was in for repairs, and both tries cracked. I will quickly photograph them, and send in pics.

Diana

Last edited by Art of Hand; 2008-05-14 at 12:33am.
Old 2008-05-14, 7:48am
Bead Imp

Diana, thanks for posting those! They were beautiful beads! I'm so sorry they cracked. Daisy has always been my favorite flower, but just the plain-jane variety. I even had them for my wedding flower. But when I saw these daisies I fell in love! Thanks for sharing!

Old 2008-05-16, 1:28pm
Glass my new Obsession

Can't wait to try your tut Terri! I love my SSL press I use it for so much more than just a spree shape(Perfect for animal heads )