No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2008-07-31, 12:48pm
caffiene, beads, bedhead,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley View Post
I think that Helen's audience is very different from the others. She is definitely not targeting the mass but more an exclusive group who is really interested making beads like hers AND selling them. The people who purchase Helen's tutorial are allowed to sell the beads . . as opposed to just make beads as for yourself and as gifts, as in some other tutorials. . . that, in itself, is worth the high price, IMHO.

And Helen provides email support for life . . . which may contribute to her wanting to keep the group small. Selling a tutorial for $15 and have 500 people email her (granted not everyone will), OR selling it to a more exclusive audience for a higher price? She chose the latter.

To me, in a way, she is looking for an "apprentice" (or two or three. . . ) to pass on her techniques (as she stated in another thread that her kids don't like to melt glass). So keeping the group small and only those who are really motivated and interested makes sense!

I dont think you understood my post..I was only honest in my feelings, and left that up to the maker and thier feelings. I said I would be tickled to see them make them for family friends , local shows etc, not that they couldnt sell them.. Im not sure how to word it any differently. and tell the truth.
this post was also made the same day I released the tutorial and emotions were on high keel, its still my honest feelings, though I am a little more relaxed with them now..
Ive been asked several times if people could sell them and Ive given them the A.O.K but they didnt even have to ask. I respect them for doing so though.
I do believe every other tut out there offers lifetime email support also.. why wouldnt you?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~~
~~
Old 2008-07-31, 12:48pm
Mary Lockwood

Just for the record, with any of my free tutorials or pay-tutorials...I have always always said, for years....sell the beads you make from it, do whatever you want with it. I am not territorial.

It is my belief that I can't keep people from doing whatever they want, so I might as well give them my blessing.

The copyright symbol on my tutorial covers only the tutorial itself. If people started printing copies out and selling/giving them to their friends, or took parts of it and sent it in to a magazine as their own...yeah...I would be pretty hurt. But the beads they make from the tutorials I post are their own to do with as they like.

I don't have time to be a bead cop and I'm realistic enough to know that someone who is going to do something, is going to do it whether I ask them not to or not.

All over my tutorial it says, don't hesitate to contact me with any questions.

So, even though I support Helen entirely and have stated as much...life-time email support and non-territorial bead rights are not exclusive to her tutorial.

~~Mary

Old 2008-07-31, 12:54pm
da General

Laurie and Mary,

Thank you very much for clarifying that. I am actually very glad that I posted what I did . . . now we are all on the same page and understand where things stand with you, the tutorial creators, and us, the buyers.

I hope that I didn't offend you in any way for that was not my intention. I was just stating what I have read. Thank you also for sharing your knowledge and expertise and allowing us to learn from you!

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-07-31, 12:59pm

Quote:
Laurie and Mary,

Thank you very much for clarifying that. I am actually very glad that I posted what I did . . . now we are all on the same page and understand where things stand with you, the tutorial creators, and us, the buyers.

I hope that I didn't offend you in any way for that was not my intention. I was just stating what I have read. Thank you also for sharing your knowledge and expertise and allowing us to learn from you!
not at all, I know youre not alone in reading it to sound that way.
Im not Emily Dickinson. BUt I once sold a set of beads to an Anne Rice!! lol OH and a Stephen King!

~~
~~
Old 2008-07-31, 1:03pm

I think what Deb said was right.. if you emailed any of us we would be glad to help, Both Mary and Sherry have helped me with any questions I have in putting my tutorial and working on a bound book together! Ive also had alot of help from others like Miriam, and Jana! all been total angels.
I think everyone rocks here!

~~
~~
Old 2008-07-31, 1:28pm
Mary Lockwood

Hi Hayley.

You didn't offend me at all. I just wanted to make it clear that just because my tutorial costs less, doesn't mean you get less.

~~Mary

Old 2008-07-31, 1:42pm

I have purchased tutorials from Mary, Anne, Sherry and Laurie and I instantly knew I could approach either
one of them with any questions I could have
So thank you ladies for all your knowledge and help. you all!!!

Old 2008-07-31, 1:53pm
da General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Hi Hayley.

You didn't offend me at all. I just wanted to make it clear that just because my tutorial costs less, doesn't mean you get less.

~~Mary
Mary,

I didn't for a moment think that your tutorial was less than anyone's. I have read every word (it's fantastic!) and can't wait to try out everything once the Gathering is over!

I guess what I was trying to say was that knowing how many tutorials you had sold, I would not dream of emailing you and bother you with questions. If anything, I would post it in one of the threads here on LE if I do have any question. Just because I don't want to impose.

On the other hand, since I paid $100 for Helen's tutorial and email support is included in that price, I will more likely email her with pix of my beads and ask for advice . . . e.g. how to improve them, etc.

Hope that makes sense! lol!

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-07-31, 6:52pm
Mary Lockwood

Quote:
Mary,

I didn't for a moment think that your tutorial was less than anyone's. I have read every word (it's fantastic!) and can't wait to try out everything once the Gathering is over!

I guess what I was trying to say was that knowing how many tutorials you had sold, I would not dream of emailing you and bother you with questions. If anything, I would post it in one of the threads here on LE if I do have any question. Just because I don't want to impose.

On the other hand, since I paid $100 for Helen's tutorial and email support is included in that price, I will more likely email her with pix of my beads and ask for advice . . . e.g. how to improve them, etc.

Hope that makes sense! lol!
Yes, it makes sense. It is one of the reasons I've been posting answers, even spoilers, in the forum threads. I think your feeling about not wanting to impose on someone is a common feeling and I don't want anyone to not get the chance to get what they need.

I think the confusion I had about your post was that you expressed that lifetime email support and free license on the tutorial-inspired beads was worth $100 in and of itself and a unique attribute to Helen's tutorial. Here I am offering the same support for $18 a pop. It's my choice to do that.

You are absolutely right about Helen's target being different and I think that is awesome. I totally get it and it's great. You GO Helen!

I don't want anyone to feel like they are imposing when they want to email me a question about their stuff though. I would be a pretty sucky teacher if I felt that way. Besides, I probably haven't sold as many tutorials as you think. LOL If you are using that 500 example number as a guide, I'm nowhere close to that. LOL

I think that this whole downloadable pdf tutorials for sale idea is really new. Everybody is feeling around trying to figure out the best way to do it and still be themselves. I don't want mine to be like everybody else's and I'm sure they feel the same. I have learned a LOT from this first one and it will definitely impact how I work the next one(s).

It is so early, we are still sleuthing out what works best for the people writing the tutorials as individuals and the customers at the same time. It's an exciting time, I think!

~~Mary

Old 2008-07-31, 7:08pm

I agree and actually I feel really good when someone emails me a question, or lets me know of thier progress.
Gives me more chances to talk about something I love..

~~
~~

Last edited by Ever After; 2008-07-31 at 7:10pm.
Old 2008-07-31, 10:42pm

I'm going to be purchasing Helens tutorial. Not so much because I want to make beads like hers but because I'm sure that there is a lot of valuable knowledge in her tutorial with plenty of techniques that I can use within my own work or designs.

And if I end up totally in love with her technique, who knows, maybe I will end up making something similar. But because I have my own style I doubt they would ever be the same.

Old 2008-07-31, 11:06pm
Sheila

If you tutorial sellers have your own web site, Zen cart supports downloadable purchases. It creates a link that the customer can use once, so the link to the file isn't just "out there" for the world to use. And it's open source (free). It's easy to install, too. It's usually in the Fantastico setup script that most hosts provide.

Oh, and if any of you want a professional editor, I'm available and cheap.

Old 2008-08-01, 2:58am
Goddess

I would also like to say that I have no problem with people making the bead they learn in my tutorial and selling them, I am also available anytime for questions and I have stated as much in the tutorial. I think the main difference in price has more to do with Helen's target customer than anything else.

Old 2008-08-01, 3:17am
Who me?

Just a thought but some of you tut writes offer email support - man, what a hassle that could be - and it really wouldn't be fair to discuss details of the tuts on the forum so that folks who had not paid would have access to the material.

I wonder if if would be possible for each of you to have a separate forum room that granted access only to those who had purchased the tut? Free communication could happen without giving away techniques that should only ba available to those who paid.
Old 2008-08-01, 5:31am
Detail G-Mama!

I've only had a few questions so far on the tuts and I will try to answer any emails I get as fast as possible! I do like Linda's idea but not sure how many more rooms Corri can add!

Old 2008-08-01, 5:32am

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamper View Post
I wonder if if would be possible for each of you to have a separate forum room that granted access only to those who had purchased the tut? Free communication could happen without giving away techniques that should only ba available to those who paid.
I think this is a great idea.

|
|
|
Old 2008-08-01, 5:55am

Amy of AKDesigns wrote this:

Personally if I was going to do one (and I'm not), I would set up a private Yahoo email group. Anyone that purchased my tutorial would be a member and receive all the questions asked and my answers. In the future there will be a way to do that right here on LE even. I think by doing something along those lines that a higher tutorial price is even more justified. I think higher prices are already justified though.

Sounds good to me, Shah! I may just go start one now.

I used to make soap and belong to a yahoo group soapnuts, which was so much fun, bg (before glass).

Thanks, ♥ Love, Helen

Before His throne is a sea of glass like crystal.

Old 2008-08-01, 6:00am
Gimme that silver glass!

Quote:
I agree about that limited download time or frequency thing. The secure download processor I'm using for mine says you have to use the download link within 24 hours and you have up to 2 downloads.

I can't figure out how to turn this off!! I should dig deeper.

These people paid for the information, they should be able to download it whenever they want, however many times they want. I just don't get the whole limit thing at all.

They say it is so people don't share the file..hello..once it is saved to their computer they are going to do whatever they want with it whether I like it or not so I don't really see how limiting the number of downloads or putting a time limit on them is the least bit helpful.

At least not in this case...maybe it makes a difference depending on what you are delivering...like maybe for software this serves some purpose?

~~Mary

I agree Mary , because of that and the fact my laptop crashed, I had to buy your tut twice. No big deal of course, but a version send by email (I keep all my tuts in a map in my email) would have been better for me, in this case .

MY NEW E-TUTORIAL:

Old 2008-08-01, 6:01am
Who me?

Hey, Helen,

Good idea about the yahoo thing - the the tut writer (mod) could control who could join in.

Fellow soapmaker - I'm teaching a class at the local museum on crockpot soap from scratch in November (if anyone signs up).

Quote:
Originally Posted by helensharvest View Post
Amy of AKDesigns wrote this:

Personally if I was going to do one (and I'm not), I would set up a private Yahoo email group. Anyone that purchased my tutorial would be a member and receive all the questions asked and my answers. In the future there will be a way to do that right here on LE even. I think by doing something along those lines that a higher tutorial price is even more justified. I think higher prices are already justified though.

Sounds good to me, Shah! I may just go start one now.

I used to make soap and belong to a yahoo group soapnuts, which was so much fun, bg (before glass).

Thanks, ♥ Love, Helen
Old 2008-08-01, 6:09am
Mary Lockwood

I have been trying to figure out how to password protect a page of my site and make it available only to people who have purchased the tutorial.

The problem I'm running into is logistical. How do I filter the people?

My main idea was to let everyone who purchased the tutorial know that I have a new page to my site, and the password is (for example) the first word under the 8th picture. They would have to have the tutorial to know this. Some people ARE sharing these tutorials though. I'm not living in a fantasy world. LOL

I don't expect Corri to shoulder these issues though. I don't think that is fair. I think each tutorial writer should have their own method of handling it. My tutorial is not affiliated with LE directly...people are simply talking about it here. I did send LE a donation as a thank you for letting me market it here, but LE certainly doesn't endorse it.

A yahoo group (which someone mentioned before) for each tutorial writer would solve the problems.

I've just been having trouble with my emails...it takes me about 6 minutes to open and reply to each and every one. I would need to send out 200 email responses to let people know about the yahoo group. OR make an announcement on my home page and risk not getting to everyone.

It was way easier and faster just to reply to email questions and post in the open threads.

I don't think that anything I've written or answered in those threads has given away full techniques or stolen anything away from the people who paid for the tutorial. They are who started the threads after all and are willing to post in them. As sharing as I can be...I am still careful about my answers. If something is getting into the realm of revealing the whole secret...I answer with a PM. I can't keep other people from talking openly about it though. If something gets revealed in an open discussion between other people, I can't help that and I certainly don't have a gag order attached to my tutorial. LOL

For any future tutorials I might do, I will definitely tag a yahoo group right in with it. Or some other kind of forum deal...there are plenty out there. But for this jellyfish one...I worry that it is too late to effectively implement this idea. I'll have to think about it harder I guess. LOL

~~Mary

Old 2008-08-01, 6:12am
Mary Lockwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troll Lover View Post
I agree Mary , because of that and the fact my laptop crashed, I had to buy your tut twice. No big deal of course, but a version send by email (I keep all my tuts in a map in my email) would have been better for me, in this case .
Good heavens, yes it is a big deal to me. All you had to do was email me and let me know you had problems and I would have reactivated your link. I've done that for a handful of people who had the same problem as you. Nobody has to buy the tutorial twice and this is the first I've heard of it. I will refund your second payment immediately.

Old 2008-08-01, 6:20am
Gimme that silver glass!

Oh Mary, you are such a sweetheart, but of course it was my own stupid mistake I didn't save it somewhere else too. Thank you for the refund (I feel like a big dumby right now for not emailing you... ).

MY NEW E-TUTORIAL:

Old 2008-08-01, 6:31am
Mary Lockwood

No problem Anouk. Refund sent. Nobody should ever be expected to pay for the same information twice. I'm glad it came up here or I might never have realized what happened to you.

~~Mary

Old 2008-08-01, 6:32am
Mary Lockwood

Shari, this is terribly off-topic, but I just saw your ~down 10 pounds and 6"~ under you avatar and wanted to congratulate you!!

Way to go!
~~Mary

Old 2008-08-01, 8:41am
Storm Queen

Once Corri has updated the software here there will be a feature called Social Groups. The owner of the group can make it private and by invitation only. This way, say Helen can start a Social Group called Sculpted Flower Support, make it private so no one can see the discussions and control who joins the group. It's kind of like a private forum room. It's a fabulous feature which I'm sure will get used well here on LE.

Old 2008-08-01, 8:49am

Any of you guys that have bought my ebook are invited to join beadcoach, a yahoo group I just made for you, until the option is available here.

beadcoach-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

Thanks, ♥ Love, Helen

Before His throne is a sea of glass like crystal.

Old 2008-08-01, 9:09am

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDesigns View Post
Once Corri has updated the software here there will be a feature called Social Groups. The owner of the group can make it private and by invitation only. This way, say Helen can start a Social Group called Sculpted Flower Support, make it private so no one can see the discussions and control who joins the group. It's kind of like a private forum room. It's a fabulous feature which I'm sure will get used well here on LE.
That sounds awesome!
Corri has been so generous!

~~
~~
Old 2008-08-05, 6:13am
tinkmartin.etsy.com

Quote:
These people paid for the information, they should be able to download it whenever they want, however many times they want. I just don't get the whole limit thing at all.

They say it is so people don't share the file..hello..once it is saved to their computer they are going to do whatever they want with it whether I like it or not so I don't really see how limiting the number of downloads or putting a time limit on them is the least bit helpful.

At least not in this case...maybe it makes a difference depending on what you are delivering...like maybe for software this serves some purpose?
Actually, depending upon the packager you use, you do have some control.

I use secure-ebook.com for my electroforming booklet. It tracks what happens to each ebook, limits the number of computers it can be on and prevents emailing of the file or copying to CD.

My situation is a little different though, as this isn't a tutorial, per se. It's the booklet from the electroforming kit I sell. I've made the booklet available primarily so that people can decide if they want a kit or not. Reading about the process can help them make that decision.

A four page sneak peek is available on my website, free and for the taking. If someone looks at that and decides they want more, they can activate the entire booklet for $10. If they end up buying a kit, they get that $10 back, and they'll have the booklet that comes with the kit.

I make this very clear on the webpage where people can get the free sneak peek or the whole booklet, but I'm starting to wonder if anyone actually reads anything on that page. LOL! It says: "These are protected files, delivered as executables for PC users, and cannot be saved, copied or otherwise distributed."

The booklet is 'tagged' digitally, and can be opened a certain number of times on a certain number of computers. It can't be emailed or burned to a CD, just like it says on the webpage.

But like I said, this is NOT a tutorial. I just wanted to mention that there are, indeed, ways to set permissions for things, allowing or disallowing particular usage after the document leaves your 'hands'.

Also Available in
: my Electroforming for Everyone booklet.

Old 2008-08-05, 8:34am
Mary Lockwood

That is great to know, Tink.

But why are there limits on the pdf downloads? That is what doesn't make sense to me.

I think it is surprising as well how much stuff goes unread. I'm not just talking about ordering tutorials either, I've experienced this for years online. People just seem to skim over stuff and then ask questions. Didn't it take more time to email me the questions and then wait for the answers than it would have taken just to read it in the first place?

I guess it is very common for people to skim read, but it is hard for me to grasp because I'm a 'reader'. I read every single word before I hit 'buy'.

I get software trials all the time that are active for 30 days, or only for use on a single computer, or all the other permissions you've mentioned. I didn't realize you could set those same parameters on documents, but since you have yours set up as an .exe that is what makes the difference. What did you use for formating?

Have you discovered that you are having to give 'tech support' to people about running it? A self executing file is pretty cut and dry, I don't imagine there are many issues.

~~Mary

Old 2008-08-05, 9:44am
tinkmartin.etsy.com

As I mentioned, I use secure-ebook.com as my packager. The packaging software creates the exe file.

There have been a few people who needed tech support, but those were primarily related to people not reading the information on the webpage.

Also Available in
: my Electroforming for Everyone booklet.