Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-09-20, 6:55am
Flame On!

Default Lausha Clear...Compatible?????

Howdy Glass Peeps! (urban slang for "Hello my fellow Glass People!",lol) Gotta question. I have been using Lausha clear to encase for a while. LOVE it. However, I recently started using 8-10mm rods, where as I had been using 7-8mm rods. Big issue has arisen. Almost all of my beads are cracking. But get this, 2 days later. They are fine and dandy, go thru kiln, come out fine, get cleaned and are fine. Today, I go to photo beads from Friday and Saturday that are sitting ready, and 90% are cracked in half. And they are the ones made with the larger Lausha encasing other glass, ie, CIM, Morretti, Vetrofond. Anybody have a clue??? I haven't had any issues with the smaller rods, but I really like those big thick rods to lay it on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-09-20, 7:12am
I fart diamonds

Cracking in half is not a compatibility issue. That's a thermal crack.

Old 2010-09-20, 11:25am
Glass Hive Kiln Tech.

Things encased in Lauscha clear need to be put away much hotter than other clears. I put them in when there is still a faint glow to them. It sets up faster, so I don't get kiln marks on the pieces when doing this.

There are short comings with the clear. It has issues when used with large volumes of silver glass.

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau
Old 2010-09-20, 10:14pm

Lauscha suggests putting the bead in the annealer still glowing and annealing at 980 if you are having compatibility problems. If using with silver glass make test beads first. I use it all the time but haven't had time to test all of the silver colors...

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !

Last edited by PaulaD; 2010-09-21 at 4:55pm.
Old 2010-09-21, 5:18am
Unmedicated since '62

i've heard some people have had problems but i havent and i've been using a wide range of lauscha rod sizes, also i tend to grab any rod so i've been mixing moretti, lauscha, cim and RC - a total recipe for disaster but it all seems to come out fine (idiots always fall on their feet )

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2010-09-21, 9:51am
Bead maker and bead buyer

I tend to put my beads in the kiln glowing (just because they look cool, but in the kiln I can see they're still glowing) and I haven't had any problems yet *knocks on wood*. I don't ramp the kiln up to 980 - it garages at 940. My ramp down program is fairly conservative, because "better safe than sorry".

the main thing I dislike about lauscha and some silver glass is the chartreuse I get, but I haven't had any crack.
Old 2010-09-21, 9:56am
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

I switched to Lauscha Soft Clear and have no cracking problems any more.

Old 2010-09-21, 2:54pm
Frit frit and more frit!

I was encasing everything with Lauscha clear (except silver glass). I was recently having a tidy of all my beads and checked a few with the polarizing filters - all the Lauscha clear encased ones were stressed even after annealling. Thankfully I never get around to selling - I certainly wouldn't sell any of my beads that I have used Lauscha with now. Its such a shame because I love the glass.
Old 2010-09-21, 4:54pm

Oh you have to ramp down slower too. I posted Carol Anne's directions somewhere here in this room a few months ago.

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2010-09-22, 12:48am

No problems here with Lauscha from 2007/2008/2009.
Also using a lot of silver glass, encased with Lauscha !!
Put my beads still glowing into the kiln at 970, hold for 30 min. then ramp down 104/h. to 824, hold again for 30 min. then turn off.

Elke
Old 2010-09-22, 6:12am

hello!

I use Lauscha clear since almost 4 years. I have made the experience, that i can not encase any moretti or vetrofond red, orange or yellow.

Which colours did u use?

Jasmin