Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-10-24, 3:31pm

Default Problems with Foster Fire Smooth & Tuff

I was using Dip and Go sludge and ran out and decided to try Foster Fire Smooth and Tuff bead release because I'd seen a lot of good reviews about it. Well something is definitely wrong because mine flakes off like crazy sometimes when im in the middle of making a bead it'll just pull loose from the mandrel.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong or if I just ended up with a bad batch? I shake it up really hard before dipping. I've let it air dry and also flame dried it, doesn't matter. It seems to be doing the opposite of what it promised to do.

If anybody has any insites as to what the problem might be I'd be glad to hear it.
Thanks in Advance!
Michele

An artist cannot fail; it is a success to be one. ~Charles Horton Cooley
Old 2010-10-24, 3:36pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

How thick is it? It's more likely to crack if it's too thick.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-10-24, 4:39pm

Also I am not sure why but make sure that your mandrels are dry when you dip them.
Old 2010-10-24, 5:16pm
Surrounded by Trouble

I am not saying this to disregard the great info given to you in the above posts, as all that is very true and wonderful advice.

Find the bead release the works best for you and stick with it. Yeah I realize the pun, it wasn't intended but it is what it is.
Everyone has a favorite, what works best for me wont work best for you.
I switched from one to another to another and finally went back to the one I started with that I loved from the beginning. Guess I thought I had to try them all for some reason.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-10-24, 5:24pm
I'm not Barbie.

Yeah, I've had that problem too but like Kim say's, it's best to use your mandrels the same day or the next day after you dip them.
Old 2010-10-24, 5:24pm
Formerly FishBulb

There was a thread on here recently that advised blending Foster's with Fusion for supreme dip, and I love it. It's got hardcore grip but isn't that much harder to get the beads off the mandrel. You could always try picking up some Fusion from Frantz and mix them together.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2010-10-24, 7:09pm
a pox upon an idiot :..

How strange.... I have left hundreds of mandrels dipped with FF for months at a time with no problem. It never breaks or flakes off, ever.
Old 2010-10-24, 8:11pm
da General

I would just like to add -

Unlike other bead release, don't heat Foster Fire to red hot before adding glass. It just needs to be heated up a bit but not glowing.

I also find that Foster Fire needs to be used within a day or two . . . so I add Fusion to it and it holds better, lasts longer AND still allow long bead to be taken off easily.

|
|
|
|
Old 2010-10-25, 3:18pm
Frit frit and more frit!

I never had a proble with FF and would leave mandrels for months. May latest bottle is flaking off like the OP's, maybe its a batch thing...
Old 2010-10-25, 8:28pm
I'm not Barbie.

Not sure if age makes a difference or not but mine is at least 4 years old. I got like, 3-4 of the big bottles back then. I'm on the 3rd bottle now. Maybe that is also why it flakes off.
Old 2010-10-25, 8:35pm

I've been mixing fosters with fusion for a long time and can say it's the best. I always pre dip my mandrels, and they last for months if need be.

Sadie

Old 2010-10-25, 9:44pm
Queen of Lurk

I just changed from FF to another bead release and the one I changed to makes the glass bubble like there is no tomorrow....Maybe I'll mix em and see what happens. They both have their good qualities and bad qualities
Old 2010-10-26, 1:52am
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

Has anyone noticed any wear on their diamond bits after using Fusion? I have always used it, and lately started having issues of getting beads off. Started investigating what others thought, and I was adviced that there is an ingredient in Fusion that ruins the diamond bits, and sure enough, my artintheround BeaDreamers are wearing out... just purchased them not too long time ago, and my old diamond bit was smooth as polished metal. And I am very careful of cleaning my beads under water. I believe the statement was correct, but has anyone else noticed anything like this?
Old 2010-10-26, 11:40am
Burn baby, burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starrr View Post
How strange.... I have left hundreds of mandrels dipped with FF for months at a time with no problem. It never breaks or flakes off, ever.
Ditto.

Did you happen to use tap water in it? I know it messes it up if you don't use distilled water in it.

I like this thread, I'm getting some good info. Lisa
Old 2010-10-26, 11:52am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Most tap water won't mess up bead release, but softened water will. I have really hard water with tons of minerals. I don't know if it would be bad for the bead release but rather than taking a chance, I use distilled.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2010-10-26, 12:21pm
da General

Quote:
Originally Posted by piakaven View Post
Has anyone noticed any wear on their diamond bits after using Fusion? I have always used it, and lately started having issues of getting beads off. Started investigating what others thought, and I was adviced that there is an ingredient in Fusion that ruins the diamond bits, and sure enough, my artintheround BeaDreamers are wearing out... just purchased them not too long time ago, and my old diamond bit was smooth as polished metal. And I am very careful of cleaning my beads under water. I believe the statement was correct, but has anyone else noticed anything like this?
According to an email I received from Dave, Foster Fire (and probably Fusion) wears down the diamond coating of his beadreamers faster than other bead release such as Sludge.

|
|
|
|
Old 2010-10-26, 12:28pm

I also find that if I clean my mandrels with Dawn and a scrub pad, that I have MUCH less flaking. I use a combo of fusion and FFS&T as well.
Old 2010-10-26, 3:30pm
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

Thanks Haley! I thought that it must be correct, since I see major wear on my diamond bits after just a short use. Sludge it is then...
Old 2010-10-27, 6:26am
Formerly FishBulb

Hi Pia, I don't have Dave's reamers but I do use diamond bits and yes, I do have to replace them fairly regularly. I think it's the crystalline silica in Fusion that wears them down (but don't quote me on that, lol!)

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2010-10-27, 12:29pm
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

I was just sto surprised to learn first that my reamer, that was supposed to last forever was totally useless, so I thought that I willl get the ones that will really last forever, as long as I clean my beads really under water. Nope, same thing happening. I dont mind if I have to replace the cheapy ones, but not my BeaDreamers!!! As soon as I found out, I ordered different release... had problems with Fusion anyhow... and I will use my cheapo reamers until my replacement arrives!
Old 2010-10-28, 9:20pm

Thank you all for the very good advice. I will try a number of these suggestions.

For some strange reason I had not considered that I should throughly wash my mandrels and dry them before redipping. I was just drying them and possibly not good enough. Do you all wash your mandrels with soap, rinse and them dry them before redipping as standard procedure?
Also the FF is really thick, like a malt texture and I may need to add a bit of distilled water to it. One other thing is I was heating the mandrel up to glowing before starting to wind the glass like I did when using dip and go sludge. I also leave them for days sometimes before using. The problem might be a mixture of all of these items.

It's been really getting on my nerves because of the problems on the mandrel and now I am finding that it's extremely hard to get out of the beads as well! How is that for a contradiction?!

Now I'm not sure what to do. I wanted to purchase beadreamer but I don't want to wear one out every month using the FF release. Can you just replace bits on the beadreamer?

Old 2010-10-28, 11:50pm
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

The BeaDreamers are diamond bits. But they are quite pricey, but well worth the money. When they are not worn down like mine are, all you have to do is attach it to a dremel tool, and drive through the hole, and you're pretty much done! And yes, you can always just get a new one, but it stings every time to pay that for something that could be avoided. And sometimes all the sizes are not available, I think the demand is pretty high...
Old 2010-10-29, 2:39am

I hadn't realized the beadreamer was just the bit. Yikes, that is pricey! Dang.
So I guess you'd need a battery powered/rechargeable dremel (because using an electric one around a bowl full of water is asking for trouble).

Old 2010-10-29, 8:56am
da General

If you make small beads and use Sludge, Beadreamer works well.

If you make large beads and use bead release such as FosterFire or Fusion, the Beadreamer doesn't last . . . in my experience.

I get my diamond bits from WidgetSupply for about $2 each. The advantage of the beadreamer is that it's not tapered and has no coating at the tip so you won't accidentally scratch your bead with the tip of the bit.

A battery operated dremel is better than an electric one but since only the bit is immersed in water, many do use the corded ones. Use a small container so you can't accidentally drop the dremel in the water.

|
|
|
|
Old 2010-10-29, 8:59am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I use the widget supply ones too and they work like a charm. Cheap too.

If your release is too thick, add some more distilled water - it should be the consistency of thick cream.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2010-10-29, 9:11am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellyJo1969 View Post
I hadn't realized the beadreamer was just the bit. Yikes, that is pricey! Dang.
So I guess you'd need a battery powered/rechargeable dremel (because using an electric one around a bowl full of water is asking for trouble).
I don't understand why people think this we use electric mixer in liquid all the time.
Old 2010-10-29, 9:31am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Right - you just keep the electric part dry - easy peasy.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2010-10-29, 10:01am
Superkitty

I've been using Bucket O'Mud mixed with Fusion. No problems with flaking unless I let it sit for a very long time and I don't need to use a dremel to clean my beads. I just run the mandrel through the hole a few times when I remove the beads.
Old 2010-10-31, 5:14pm

I am having problems with Pink Slipper. Ever since I started using it, I have noticed a crystal like coating on a picture frame near and my mandrels are showing signs of rust as well as the tips of my presses.

Old 2010-11-23, 7:07pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by beadysam View Post
I never had a proble with FF and would leave mandrels for months. May latest bottle is flaking off like the OP's, maybe its a batch thing...
Same thing here. Beads are breaking loose and these are just spacers