Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-08-14, 9:26pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Default European Lampworkers

Is it just me or does it appear they have their own look going on? I was browsing Ebay this evening and there is some amazing talent from European countries. I am trying to come up with a word that describes their beads with justice but the only thing I can come up with is whimsical...

I am thinking of trying my hand at this look.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-08-15, 4:48am

I am a UK lampworker.... I can't say I've noticed a particular "look", but perhaps it just cos I'm used to it! Do you have any links to the kind of work you were thinking of when you describe it as "whimsical"?
Old 2010-08-15, 5:04am

I'd be interested in seeing the European 'whimisical' look as well - never thought that I might make whimsical beads

Old 2010-08-15, 5:11am
BeadsonCypress

I know that when I was in Murano, the American beads were easily "identifiable" as compared to what the Italians were selling...

7+ years and growing - Mini-CC and O2 generator
Old 2010-08-15, 6:12am

It shows in their artwork also, its quite different than American art. I am thinking specifically of German, swedish, Austrian art because that's what I am most familiar with but its definitely got is own feel to it. Whimsical is a good word.

Old 2010-08-19, 11:50am
Frit frit and more frit!

I would completely agree that there is a European look going on. I've mentioned it to my hubby a few times over the past 18months. However, I wouldn't include the UK with that generalisation. The UK has other stuff going on but no distinctive UK `look' - or maybe I'm too close to see it. Whatever is going on over on the mainland of Europe is pretty special though, and very very distinctive - and easily recognisable.
Old 2010-08-19, 12:38pm
Jacqueline Parkes

There are a few European artists on Ebay that are really knocking my socks off. We have a few here on LE too. You can just see where they are from, you know?

Very detailed work........

Old 2010-08-21, 8:27am
Anat Golan

I agree! they have chic and they are unique. I love thier work.
Old 2010-08-22, 12:46am
Bravewarrior stumblinbatt

I also agree! I commented about this to a friend quite some time ago....& I described it as "a European look". Had I been specific about where I meant I should have described it as central European & perhaps added the Netherlands & France to the mix.

They have a style & design sense all of their own. Some of it is whimsical but a lot of it isn't & all of it has an 'edge' to it. Even the whimsical styles seem to have clean lines & design elements, but the look itself is hard to describe other than to say that it is instantly recognisable & often knocks your socks off!

The names that instantly come to mind would be Manuela Wutschke, Anastasia, Melanie Moertel, Dora Schubert & Claudia Trimbur-Pagel.... if Helen & Fiona want to have some fun in google....

~
~
~
Old 2010-08-22, 4:56am
And silence is golden

Could it be that the artists have steadier hands for some particuliar reason, enabling them to be more detailed?

Personally, I am amused by the asian lampworkers and their murrinis.
Old 2010-08-22, 12:45pm

Default Michou

Michou, on ebay, makes fabulous beads. She is from Hamburg. I wish I had her fine motor control.
Old 2010-08-22, 2:20pm

I suspect there is a regional 'style' that has more to do with who teaches there, and what they teach (plus a jigger of regional aesthetics) than anything else... but I know what you mean about the graphic style in Europe, I think Melanie Mortel's work springs to mind?

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2010-08-22, 3:08pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebrand Beads View Post
I suspect there is a regional 'style' that has more to do with who teaches there, and what they teach (plus a jigger of regional aesthetics) than anything else... but I know what you mean about the graphic style in Europe, I think Melanie Mortel's work springs to mind?
Totally agree with you... far more graphic than whimisical