Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2010-03-31, 5:34pm

Kimberly is sooooo fantastic, and GTT is soooooo lucky to have her helping people with their questions and concerns!

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Blog
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-03-31, 10:43pm
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirima View Post
Suzanne, now as the leaking problem is fixed, that weird sound isn't there anymore.

How did you fix it? I could give them a call myself but if you know how to fix it, I won't have to make the call

BTW I love my scorpion. I've been working on it for the past three days ( I finally managed to squeeze in some torch time) and the torch is HOT! I'm running it on two concentrators, third concentrator available but not nescessairy at this point. I can melt thick boro rods ( 12 mm) easily, and get them drooping hot. I am also able to fit five trollbeadstyle beads on the mandrel without having to worry about flashing them back and forth through the flame to keep em all hot. It takes some practice to manage five fluid glass beads at a time but I can work so fast! I did three hours of torch time and made 350 big hole beads, wich is a lot in that little time.

Old 2010-04-01, 1:55pm
Alaska Boro

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzanne View Post
I did three hours of torch time and made 350 big hole beads, wich is a lot in that little time.
Would love to see a video of making a bead in 30 seconds. Gee, I can't even get the rod and mandrel up to temperature in that amount of time!

Looking forward to the how to......
Old 2010-04-01, 6:11pm
PyronamixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska View Post
Would love to see a video of making a bead in 30 seconds. Gee, I can't even get the rod and mandrel up to temperature in that amount of time!

Looking forward to the how to......
Three hours is 180 minutes. 350 beads in that time works out to roughly two minutes per bead. That sounds very do-able (still impressive, but possible) when you're working several on the mandrel at once like Suzanne can do.

She's only heating the mandrel once for every five beads and once the rod is hot and rockin'... It's not like she's heating up the mandrel and rod for one bead, putting that one in the kiln and then going to the next mandrel, heating it up, then heating the rod back up and making the bead and putting that in the kiln and on and on.

Last edited by kbinkster; 2010-04-01 at 6:14pm.
Old 2010-04-01, 6:44pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbinkster View Post
Three hours is 180 minutes. 350 beads in that time works out to roughly two minutes per bead. That sounds very do-able (still impressive, but possible) when you're working several on the mandrel at once like Suzanne can do.

She's only heating the mandrel once for every five beads and once the rod is hot and rockin'... It's not like she's heating up the mandrel and rod for one bead, putting that one in the kiln and then going to the next mandrel, heating it up, then heating the rod back up and making the bead and putting that in the kiln and on and on.
you did your math backwards - it's more like 30 seconds a bead.

I'd pay a dollar to see that.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-04-01, 7:02pm

I just can't figure out why one would even do that!

Have a bad day with the babies, Kimberly?

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

My Blog
Old 2010-04-01, 7:25pm

Changing the subject..... I love my scorpion.... Anyone else have theirs up and running?

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]
Old 2010-04-01, 7:37pm
PyronamixK

Actually, I had a very nice day - a friend came over for a visit. It was the bright spot for the week.

BUT... I have been having a very hard couple of weeks and have not been getting enough sleep.

I'm sorry, Alaska. I did my math backwards.
Old 2010-04-01, 8:07pm
Flamewoman

Mine is up and running, I have had just maybe 3 hours on it. I might get more tomorrow, I think I have a puppysitter. ( that would be my DH when the weather is too bad to golf)
I am really pleased that the Regalia seems to handle it just fine.I love the big round flame, and the heat is very different from the Lynx. With the Lynx the flame was a driving flame that concentrated a lot of heat in the spot you heated. The bigger flame of the Scorp heats a bigger area, it seems to stay hot longer, I'm still getting used to switching back and forth from inner and outter for different purposes. The rythm of the flow is different, and I'm not used to it yet, but I know it wont be long to get the hang of it. I love the way frit melts, say on the bottom of a pendant. it does not boil , just melts in quickly and nicely. I think this torch will allow me to make a lot more pieces in the same amount of time for sure. The deeper heat has resulted in better color for me too. ( I'm working boro) I gotta watch it though, as the pendants are softer longer than I'm used to, and I squeezed too hard with my forceps and flattened a side once.
I have questions about the flames. I read that you should not run the inner flame lower than the outer as the face of torch will get red hot. Is it ok to run the inner higher than the outer? so it looks sort of like a wedding cake?
Also, is it ok to have the oxy on the outter( no gas ), while running the inner flame? IT seems to really push the inner flame that way. I just need more time with this torch, but I do not want to damage it. I really am pleased with this torch, but sort of feel guilty about my Lynx that is sitting there looking like he is abandoned. I really have loved my Lynx.

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2010-04-01, 8:20pm
Beyond Cloud 9!

I love that the torch stays so cool and puts off very little blow back heat. I can even get up closer to see what I'm doing now.

Old 2010-04-01, 9:55pm
traumaqueen

If I knew someone with a digital camera I'd make a film but for now I can only make pics. I'll ask around

Anyway, I'd still like to know how to solve the popping sound when my friend is lighting her bobcat. it is leaking, and if there's a quick fix ( hoping ) then we don't have to send it back to the states

Old 2010-04-01, 9:57pm
traumaqueen

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam View Post
I just can't figure out why one would even do that!

Have a bad day with the babies, Kimberly?

Are you asking me? Why would I make five beads per mandrel? Because it's a production order. 100 black and white beads, 100 red beads, 100 purple frit beads and so on. It brings money to the table and by doing this I am able to provide for myself and my kids

It's no fun but like I said, it pays the bills ( and my lovely pink scorpion)

Old 2010-04-02, 3:59am

Well, I can understand that, but was hoping to hear of a really cool project with 350 beads, or more. I was picturing the necklace in my head already, lol. Big hole beads with one wrap of glass strung together by wiring each loop to the next, north, south, east and west! Okay, now I have an idea for a new necklace. Thanks!

My Blog
Old 2010-04-02, 12:21pm
Certified Glassaholic!

Where did everyone get their gas y-connector/splitters? From GTT or other source?

-Yee

Old 2010-04-02, 12:54pm
Alaska Boro

See if Lowe's or Home Depot has what you need. They may not have the 'Y' but a 'T' is just as functional.
Old 2010-04-02, 1:18pm
PyronamixK

You can get the 1/4" nylon Ts at Lowe's and use your own hose.
Old 2010-04-02, 3:46pm

Suzanne, I hope my PN did help?

Happy EASTER to all of you!

Martina

GTT-Scorpion, Carlisle Lucio Burner / 2x8l 17.5psi concentrators
Old 2010-04-02, 11:15pm
traumaqueen

Thanks for the pm Martina!

Pam, lol, no, I'm sorry no awesome project

Old 2010-04-03, 5:51am

Well, actually Suzanne, it is an awesome project, just not the one my mind focused on! I'm glad you love your torch and it's working so well for you.

My Blog
Old 2010-05-02, 8:33pm
Booger #7

Holy Cow! I *finally* hooked up my Scorpion tonight as I've been swamped with school, work, kids etc. and I was freaking floored! I made a couple of boro implosion pendants in about 1/3 of the time it used to take me on my Mini CC. I'm sure that if I ran it on tanks or a bigger concentrator (I'm using 2 5lpms together) it would work even better, but it is such an improvement that I'm happy with what it does with what I've got! It's like moving from a Hot Head to a surface mix all over again!

Old 2010-05-03, 1:00am
Alaska Boro

Sue:

With the two 5 LPM machines do you see any change in the center flame when turning on the outer flame? Are you using the two stud or the four stud Scorpion? What is your static output PSI? (i.e. 5 psi - 9 psi, etc.)

Presently use a Cricket which works well with boro. But was not sure if two 5 LPM machines would supply enough oxygen for both the inner and outer flames.

With two machines the Cricket performs very well, but I was assuming that by adding the outer ring that 10 LPM would be a little on the short side of things. Perhaps the addition of a holding tank would help with short bursts of outer flame use.

Let us know what your findings are......
Old 2010-05-03, 10:30am
ilene

I'm certainly interested in this reply... With the two 5 LPM machines do you see any change in the center flame when turning on the outer flame?"
Old 2010-05-03, 3:41pm
Booger #7

You know I had so little time to play with it yesterday that I honestly couldn't tell you if there was any difference when I turned on the outer flame. I was so blown away by how different it was from my mini CC that I didn't notice. I'll revisit your questions when I've had more time with it!

Old 2010-05-03, 6:55pm

I'm still waiting for mine. At least this gives me time to decide on a color.
Joan
Old 2010-05-04, 8:11am
Newb boro fanatic

Has anyone made larger boro marbles on a Scorpion yet? I'd love to be able to make like 1.5-2" marbles, so I'm hoping a Scorpion could handle it...
Old 2010-05-07, 6:03am
Dangerous Woman

Whoo Hoo!!! I did it I ordered my Scorpion today!!! Sparklie Purple!! Would it be possible to see a photo of someone's Y connections?

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2010-05-18, 11:42pm
Newb boro fanatic

Well I just emailed GTT to order my Scorpion!

I'm getting purple but with black caps for gas and silver caps for oxy! hehe *edit* tho I just realized that that's the *opposite* of the tank colors for oxy and lpg... I wasn't even thinking of tank colors when I ordered it! I think I'll change my order now lol

And if anyone was wondering, Wally said a Scorpion would do marbles up to 3", tho the bigger ones would take a while.

Last edited by Rodger; 2010-05-18 at 11:51pm.
Old 2010-05-18, 11:47pm
Boro Dad

What sort of glass would that 3" marble be made of?
Old 2010-05-18, 11:53pm
Newb boro fanatic

Boro I'm pretty sure he meant, tho he didn't say specifically. I said I'd like to make up to 2" boro marbles, so I assume he was talking about boro too.
Old 2010-05-22, 6:49pm

Holy gawd!!! After patiently waiting for *6 friggin months* my scorpion will be in my hands on tuesday!

To all those that have just ordered theirs...I feel your pain.