LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2006-09-20, 9:54am

Smile how to make pumpkins and ghosts?

I tried to post this earlier, but must have forgot to send this.If it is a duplicate I am sorry. I am looking for instructions on how to make pumpkins and ghosts.
thanks
Ann
Old 2006-09-20, 10:07am

basically what ya want to do for the pumpkin is

pull vine cane if ya want

make a regular spacer bead in your shade of orange.

spot heat one side of the bead and using a razor tool carve a line from mandrel to mandrel.

Do this all the way around.

Apply your vine cane to look like well vine. LOL

and wala you have a pumpkin.

If you need pictures I can try to take some tonight. just pm me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-09-20, 11:25am
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Here's my "Simplified Ghost tutorial" for ya.
Stand back mere mortals and admire my incredible
Pc Paint skills :

Name:  simplified Ghost Tutorial.JPG
Views: 1623
Size:  24.6 KB

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2006-09-20, 12:39pm

Are you doing them as focals or small for a bracelet?

Karen,
Beats my skills all to heck. Which is why I'm embarassed to try to explain what I do. I'm thinking I'll have to stick to words.
Old 2006-09-20, 3:47pm

Smile pumkins and ghosts

bracelets
Old 2006-09-20, 5:40pm

I do ghosts about like Karen. Except mine are much plainer. If I am going the direction she does, I get a cone shape. Then I press it flat (usually so it lays nicely on the wrist). Sometimes I have to reshape a bit, but usually the head is fairly round. I spot heat the bottom and poke or twist to look a little ruffled. Then I add eyes (sometimes a mouth and sometimes I pinch arms).

I also do the same basic thing for the mandrel going the other direction. I form a sort of skinny round bead. Press it flat. Spot heat the bottom and press flat against a marver. Then I poke and prod it into having some life in the bottom, add eyes, etc.

For pumpkins that go the opposite direction of Karen's ghost, I make an orange bead. I press it flat. I spot heat and put grooves at least on the bottom. Doing it realistically doesn't work for me with this direction of a pumpkin, so I just put a few creases in. Then I use a pulled stringer or a regular green (depending on what I'm putting with the rest of the bracelet) and add some leaves and a stem. Sometimes I twist the stem, sometimes not.

May not help much, but maybe it gives you some ideas. I'll try to get some pictures.
Old 2006-09-21, 8:01am

OK. Don't be scared. Here's my crew. For the most part they are no larger than a dime. The big pumpkin is around the size of a quarter. I think you can tell by the bracelet sometimes things have a hole one direction and sometimes another.

I hope that's not huge. I have a problem with pictures.
Old 2006-09-21, 11:10am

Smile pumpkins,

those are very cute. I need to get to my torch ugh graduate school and work.
Ann
Old 2006-09-21, 11:50am
NW Oregon

I have GOT to quite looking at these halloween threads. I'm getting a really strong craving for corn candy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
J

Jennifer
Highland Beads
Old 2006-09-22, 4:37am

Thanks Ann.

I'd like to add a spider and skull but haven't come up with any that I like.

Possibly a pilgrim's hat also (thinking Pilgrim, Indian corn, and pumpkins would go for November) but so far that hat looks like odd witch's hats. Then comes Christmas/winter and I struggle for ideas there too.

Hope you get to your torch soon.

Ukiacat, I've got 1/2 a bag of candy corn. I could share.
Old 2006-09-22, 7:49pm
NW Oregon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Nancy

Ukiacat, I've got 1/2 a bag of candy corn. I could share.

Oh sure, torture me.
J

Jennifer
Highland Beads
Old 2006-09-22, 8:05pm

OK My pumpkins I make two ways For this one:

I make a lentil, Poke UP where I want the Bottom to be. Use my whimsy shaper to trace lines down the body of the pumpkin, and poke a narrow poke at the "top" where I want the stem to be.. I heat that, stick a piece of cane in ther and melt off so I have the stem, add vine curlies and I'm done.

For this style, i have several methods I'll explain what I did here:
It is pretty small.

I make a ROUND bead, fairly large. Wrap a narrow strip of Transparent green around the mandrel on top and melt in a bit. Trace my lines around from top to bottom. Add vines and Voila' you are done.

For the Ghost I make a bead, flatten and add to the top and bottom, pulling it out to points while soft with a matching color stringer. Melt down a bit for the droop on top. Eyes: using intense black, heat and poke 2 eyes. Melt the center of each eye and poke with a cane (I make special eye poking canes). Blow cool and break off. DO NOT melt, just fan thru the flame. Poke a Black mouth with Intense black stringer, melt in, drag the bottom down, and BOOM you're done

Thank You to ALL of my friends
who have journeyed
With me thru my elbow injury
and recovery!

:

Last edited by danelady; 2006-09-22 at 8:13pm.
Old 2006-09-22, 8:08pm

I have a couple spider beads I made earlier this year. I'd make them differently now, but I made them this way before....
Started with a Lentil, wrapped intense black in a few circles and melted in. Dragged the intense black lines out to the edges in about 5 or 6 spokes.
Blobbed on a body, some legs and cute red toenails and some spooky eyes....DONE!

Thank You to ALL of my friends
who have journeyed
With me thru my elbow injury
and recovery!

:
Old 2006-09-25, 4:34am

Danelady,
Great beads.
I did a black spider similar to the one next to your spider. I like your bat and ghost. I haven't found a bat that works for me no matter what I try. I did a ghost for a pendant like yours but put a spiral around the mandrel at the end. That worked fairly well till it went through the dryer.

Anyone else out there with goodies to share?
Old 2006-09-25, 8:50am
MonaRAEbeads.com

Location: I live in the Sierras, between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe.

I've been making some for Halloween since there was a weekly challenge about it.

I wish my pictures were better. The spider is 3D sitting on candy corn. They were all pretty simple to make. If you can't tell from the picture, ask me and I'll let you know how they were made.

Mona

to get 15% off my beads