AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Old 2014-04-12, 4:14am
Never too Old to Learn!

Unhappy Oxygen Sipping Torches?

Hello all!!! A few questions from a new old kid.

I am just moving up from a Hot Head to medium sized torch, Nortel Mid Range Plus with Mega Minor top. I am setting up a proper studio area for the first time. I have addressed the ventilation system, the fuel system, bought a gently used torch, and bought hoses regulators and such. Now my issue is oxygen supply.
Thanks to Robert over at Salt City Glass, I was informed that I would need between 30-40lpm of oxy to run both torches at same time. Ouch who knew I would need so much? Well I suppose all of you did!! Now the dilemma, should I buy 27 oxy cons to supply this torch? Ok, maybe 2 or 3!! Should I start daily delivery of bottled oxy? Should I buy a new torch that is less of a oxygen hog and a oxy con to match?
I thought I was buying a torch a step up from what I needed but this is no way a large torch. I want to eventually do up to 2 inch marbles, hell I would like to do any round marble, LOL!!!!
Suggestions from the gallery please!! Torches, Oxy Cons, or combinations? The other thing is I have been a lurker here for awhile and have learned so much from this forum. But there is such a love hate relationship with the oxy con dealers here, that I was apprehensive to even go that route. I believe bottled and just using the Mega side of torch gets me back torching this week, but not where I want and need to be in a week or two!!
Thanks
Dan
Old 2014-04-12, 4:37am
Never too Old to Learn!

Actually I am breaking out the Hot Head again to "road test" my ventilation system. I have plenty of fusing and metal work projects also. So I am not in as big a hurry as I thought!! LOL!!
Old 2014-04-12, 6:20am

Location: Loving Bermuda, dreaming of Africa and looking forward to Maine!

Sorry ... nothing to advise, but, I have the same torch so would be interested also!!!

"Don't compromise yourself. You are all you've got." Janis Joplin
Old 2014-04-12, 6:36am

I could be off base, but I think you are going to need lots of oxygen for two inch marbles, period. Some torches may be more efficient than others, but to work that mass you need some heat, and to get some heat you need the oxygen. Says the person who makes 12 mm beads, lol.
Old 2014-04-12, 6:39am

Also, there are people out there (some of them are on here) who sell great oxygen equipment. You get what you pay for though, and the best equipment is not cheap.
Old 2014-04-12, 8:04am

Hi, congrats on trading up! I have a mega minor, also a mid-range plus (with a minor on top). Are you sure you want to run them both together? I use the top torch, switch to the bottom, and then back again. I'm not using boro, but it would thing the mid-range alone wouldn't need that much oxy when the "plus" torch isn't lit. Jeri

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still selling beadstands but no more Puffy Mandrels.
Old 2014-04-12, 8:17am
Never too Old to Learn!

The info I am getting is the Mid Range takes about 33lpm by itself and the Mega Minor is 5-7lpm. What are using for your Mid Range for oxygen supply! Of course these numbers are for the optimum performance, I could always run them lower.

BTW in my initial post, I was not slamming any of the oxy con retailers here. I do not know enough about them to judge. I was just making a comment on the posts I see here. Non responsive, hard to deal with, long wait times, and impossible to get a refund on one hand and on the other they all but walk on water. That is about the same vendor!! LOL!!!
Old 2014-04-12, 8:22am

Quote:
Originally Posted by echeveria View Post
I could be off base, but I think you are going to need lots of oxygen for two inch marbles, period. Some torches may be more efficient than others, but to work that mass you need some heat, and to get some heat you need the oxygen. Says the person who makes 12 mm beads, lol.
Right on point here. I do marbles up to 2.5" and it does take a lot of heat and patience. The midrange is not the most oxy efficient torch and you could trade up but cost is much higher. I would strongly suggest tanked oxygen over oxycons.
Old 2014-04-12, 9:14am

I agree with Larry, I certainly prefer tanks, but I have two M-15s linked together, they run the mega pretty effortlessly, and the mid-range decently, although I can tell the difference from tanks. Hope that helps. Jeri

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still selling beadstands but no more Puffy Mandrels.
Old 2014-04-12, 10:39am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevDan54 View Post
BTW in my initial post, I was not slamming any of the oxy con retailers here. I do not know enough about them to judge. I was just making a comment on the posts I see here. Non responsive, hard to deal with, long wait times, and impossible to get a refund on one hand and on the other they all but walk on water. That is about the same vendor!! LOL!!!
True, and those are the ones I would avoid. There are others that quietly go about their business in a professional way, and provide a good product and good service for a price that allows them to keep it that way.
Old 2014-04-12, 12:18pm

I live in the middle of nowhere, and run 2 5lpm oxy cons y'd together to run a Mega Minor, and it's not enough oxy. If I were Superwoman, I could schlep the tanks and have them filled up. Or, if I lived in a DC suburb, I would have the oxy delivered and skip all the other headaches. Now, if I really, really wanted heavy duty oxy, I'd have a liquid oxy setup............that's the great stuff!

Barbara
Old 2014-04-14, 7:15am

you usually wouldn't run both the midrange and topfire at the same time.....
i ran the midrange for almost two years....it runs really nicely on two ex15's or m15's w/a holding tank.
three is even better...
Old 2014-04-15, 3:01am
Never too Old to Learn!

Thanks so much for all the responses here!! I am going with tanked for now and then getting an oxy con for the Mega Minor top. I will let everyone know how it works out.

Thanks again,
Dan