Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

View Poll Results: What murrini size works best for you????
I like the tiny ones currently available! (2-4mm) 15 22.39%
Size matters, I need larger ones! (5-7mm) 26 38.81%
Price doesn't matter, I love JUMBOS!! (7mm & larger) 2 2.99%
Variety is the spice of life, I'd like an assortment! 30 44.78%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2010-10-04, 2:48pm
Happy Beadmaker!

Question Favorite murrini sizes???

I'm thinking of selling my flower murrini but want to do a poll first. I've purchased murrini from lots of current sellers but find most of them too small to use. (I know that you get more slices the thinner it's pulled -- and therefore "more bang for the buck" but they just don't show up enough for my designs.)

So I'm thinking that input from the LE community will let me know what works best for you...

Thanks!
Lea

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~
Old 2010-10-04, 3:41pm
Jacqueline Parkes

I am in your camp. I like larger murrini.

Old 2010-10-04, 6:17pm

I gotta agree with you, Lea. A couple of sellers didn't list the murrini size and I foolishly didn't check. I was shocked at how tiny they were when I got them! I thought it was a mistake and they had sent me the mini size. The only thing is, they didn't have a listing for mini sizes, lol! Like I said, my mistake for not asking before buying.

Old 2010-10-04, 7:36pm

I like the larger size too.The 3-5 are good too,But I have some that are 1-2 and
they are way to small to use .

Karen
Volkano Exotik

ripz
Old 2010-10-04, 8:53pm
And silence is golden

SIZE is IMPORTANT. Variety is good too.
Old 2010-10-04, 9:37pm
I speak Murrini!

For me, at least, I prefer slices ranging in the 5-7mm diameter for a couple reasons:

First, these "fit" best on my beads, which average approximately 1 to 1 1/2" - especially when I want to put several on one bead - but are also small enough to look great in "bubble" beads, spinners or, as they've become known, "Candy Jacks";

Second, this size - for me at least - seem to be the easiest to warm in the flame with a little waving while being held with tweezers, and really don't need pre-heating.

When I pull cane, I aim to have the diameter end up in the 5-7mm range; it doesn't always work out that way (oy!) but when it does, this seems to be the most popular diameter size and gets the best feedback from customers.

So, girl - what 'cha up to? Can't wait to see! Best of luck...I know everyone will love them!

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro

Last edited by theglasszone; 2010-10-05 at 7:42am.
Old 2010-10-05, 1:30am
I'm a lilac!

I like 'em around 3-4mm for little bracelet beads or small inclusions on focal beads that have a lot going on.

Old 2010-10-05, 2:18pm
Gimme that silver glass!

I like them in all sizes. It just sometimes finishes as bead to put on teeny tiny murrini and sometimes, you just need BIG ones for your design. I always make sure that I get big and small ones in one pull .

MY NEW E-TUTORIAL:

Old 2010-10-05, 9:21pm

LOL ,I have to say this thread is sounding a little naughty.,,Carry on.

Karen
Volkano Exotik

ripz
Old 2010-10-05, 9:50pm
Formerly FishBulb

I like all sizes. I use lots of teeny ones and press them flat, and once they've completely melted into the bead they actually spread out quite a bit. And, sometimes you just need 'em big.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2010-10-06, 6:32am
Tweedle Dumb

Yeah, if I start out with a 2-4mm murrini it is usually at least 4-6mm by the time I'm done melting it in. If I start out with a 5-7mm... It would be way to big by the time I'm done. But I do typically make smaller beads.

<Click For My Latest Murrini!

<Click! For Pandora Style Beads!
Old 2010-10-06, 8:53am
http://youtu.be/nGt9jAkWi

I think it's according to what size bead you're making. I do think sellers should list the size of the murrini in the description.

Vivian

-

Old 2010-10-06, 11:30am
novembersfyre everywhere

I buy and use a lot of the commercial Italian made murrini and my favorite size is 5 to 7 mm. I have an assortment of 2 to 3 mm and it might as well be frit!

Old 2010-10-22, 9:18pm
Formerly Travelin'gal

Well, I thought I was gonna like the 3 to 5 mm best. But turns out I like them more along the 7 to 10 mm. It really depends on what size bead I'm making.

As far as selling goes, the minis sell best--3 to 5 mm range.

~
~
~
~
~
Old 2010-10-22, 9:35pm

I like the larger sizes too. I have some 1-2 mm, but I keep dropping them, and then grab a larger size to finish the bead. Hmmmm using them as frit may work!
Old 2010-10-22, 10:09pm

I like all sizes, depending on what I'm making or doing with them.

Old 2011-05-21, 9:35pm

Actually Lea, the rose murrini I purchased from you are a good size for me. I like them a bit on the large side but I make large beads too.