Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2011-07-15, 3:19pm
a pox upon an idiot :..

Default Gas Knob Not Working On My Minor

During my torching session today I noticed that my flame would start to get smaller, I'd adjust it up and it would happen again. After a few hours the flame got small and the knob wouldn't adjust the gas at all. I'm sure it not the propane or the regulator, it is definitely the knob. I remember someone saying that there are "O" rings in the knobs that wear out and need to be replaced, does anyone know anything about them? Is this something I can replace myself or could there be another problem with the gas knob not working?

Thanks in advance!

I have always been careful to not over tighten the knobs when shutting down.
Old 2011-07-15, 4:18pm
Gentleman of Leisure

The "O" ring in knobs do not control gas flow through valve... The "O" rings seal the shaft of the valve from leaking ...

IF fuel is decreasing you are either having a tank going empty or a regulator that is not holding pressure constant...

I would exercise regulator knob a bit to cause diaphragm to move some what and reset regulator preferably above 5 psi.... Also be sure tank valve for propane is full open...

OR maybe there is something in lines that is mucking up flow through valve ... Like pieces of a decomposing hose...

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2011-07-15, 4:55pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale M. View Post
The "O" ring in knobs do not control gas flow through valve... The "O" rings seal the shaft of the valve from leaking ...

IF fuel is decreasing you are either having a tank going empty or a regulator that is not holding pressure constant...

I would exercise regulator knob a bit to cause diaphragm to move some what and reset regulator preferably above 5 psi.... Also be sure tank valve for propane is full open...

OR maybe there is something in lines that is mucking up flow through valve ... Like pieces of a decomposing hose...

Dale
Thanks for the answer Dale.

It's definitely something wrong on the torch end because when I turned off the gas at the torch the flame stayed on, as if I never turned the torch off. I tried to add more propane to get a bigger flame and it still stayed the same. I shut down from the tank and burned off the gas in the lines.
Old 2011-07-16, 9:54pm
Gentleman of Leisure

IT could be you backed out the threads on the torch knob so they are disengaged and not operating... Does torch knob ever get "tight" or does it just turn forever....

Dale

Old 2011-07-16, 11:45pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale M. View Post
IT could be you backed out the threads on the torch knob so they are disengaged and not operating... Does torch knob ever get "tight" or does it just turn forever....

Dale
The knob gets tight. If it wasn't for the flame staying on when I shut off the knob it seems to work perfectly.
Old 2011-07-17, 8:16am
Gentleman of Leisure

Think its time to contact manufacturer and ask for some technical help.... Sounds like you have a bad valve or something in valve seat area that is causing a problem...

Below is sketch of type of valve commonly found on "torches"... Note area in red circle, if you have some sort of crud in the "needle & seat" area it will cause the symptoms you describe about what is happening with your torch...

Dale

Last edited by Dale M.; 2011-07-17 at 8:40am.
Old 2011-07-19, 11:22pm

Wow Dale thanks for the diagram, I'm sure it will help alot of people know whats on the inside of their torch.

I contacted Nortel here in Buffalo and Pat hooked me up with a new minor and is sending my old one in to be fixed, for free! It seems it was the valve on the gas knob.