LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-11-22, 2:26pm

Default Got my guts up to show my work to you!

I have been lurking here and asking the odd question for a couple of years now. You have all been so generous with your knowledge and so very supportive. Thank you so much! I have finally got the courage to actually put up an image of something I have made. This is a real first! I actually feel nauseous! This piece, called 'Starry Night', was made for a charity fund raiser and is supposed to be worth at least $50.00 (cdn) retail. I have never sold my work. I have NO clue if this is worth that but the supplies were expensive! It is all hand made except for the swarovski crystals. The wire wrapping and jump rings and clasp are fine and sterling silver. The charms are fine silver (pmc). The beads are Effetre glass with fine silver foil. I am SO glad it is finally done. You guys amaze me with how you whip so many of these things off and they are SO beautiful! I am in awe of you all. Any suggestions anyone might have will be gratefully received in the spirit of learning! I can take it!
Thank you all again!

Last edited by wfdebicki; 2009-11-22 at 2:27pm. Reason: can't see the pic!
Old 2009-11-22, 2:50pm

Your bracelet is wonderful!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-11-22, 3:01pm
Macaw Mamma

Your bracelet is gorgeous! Thanks for sharing!!!!!!!!! I love the toggle and the little danglies, it all goes together perfectly!
I agree... price is too low

Torchin' with a Cheetah and a Bobcat on tanked O2
Fusin' in a Jen-Ken
Old 2009-11-22, 3:37pm
Dangerous Woman

Beautiful!

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2009-11-22, 3:52pm
Micromosaic and Lampwork

Very nice. I love the theme.

Old 2009-11-22, 6:08pm

Beautiful work, both the beads and the bracelet!!!
Mary T.

Old 2009-11-22, 6:10pm

Welcome! I am glad you stepped out of lurkdom to share. LE is a great place and your bracelet is beautiful.

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2009-11-22, 6:51pm
Anyone need some spacers?

That price is very low, your bracelet is beautiful.

Old 2009-11-22, 9:32pm
Life is change. Love it

It's lovely. You should try posting it in the jewelry section, I'm sure you will get some positive feedback there.

Old 2009-11-23, 5:44am
organically speaking

It's beautiful and you should never be shy about sharing your work. I'm in awe, too, because I'm in the same boat as Kimberly. I'm so jewelry design impaired, it's pathetic. There are just way too many decisions, too many choices to make. I usually end up making nothing because I get overwhelmed.

Old 2009-11-23, 5:57am
Serenity Now!

I agree with everyone: it's a beautiful piece, your pricing is too low, would love to see a close-up, and don't be shy, come and post in the jewelry section.

Art, Colour, Bling & Happy happening here:
Old 2009-11-23, 5:59am
Mary Lockwood

Beautiful and you can quit worrying about it being worth the $50 auction estimate- you blew past it like it was standing still. Thanks for sharing.

Old 2009-11-23, 7:51am
thecoralcat

Location: Upstate South Carolina about 20 minutes south of Asheville, NC

Great work! I love the design and execution! Hope to see more of your art in the Gallery! Cheers! Joan

The Victorian Style Floral available now!

NEW TUTORIAL!
Joan - Ancient Creator of Unique Disasters in glass!
Old 2009-11-23, 11:38am
Will work for glass...

I agree with the others. You have underpriced your work. You need to consider not only the cost of the raw materials, but also your time, and in addition, you are charging for your EXPERTISE as well. Given the same materials, most would not be able to make the bracelet because they do not have the same skills. Good work!
Old 2009-11-23, 12:17pm

Default a closer image

Thank you all so much for your kind words. You are so generous. I have been learning lampwork all by my little lonesome after taking a one day workshop. You guys have truly been my teachers and I thank you for that! This piece is pretty much my first real foray into the world with my beads. These ones are simple but I felt comfortable with them. The concept really helped me to deal with feeling overwhelmed by where to begin with the design. As a former painter/sculptor that was something I could wrap my head around. Now perhaps I will have the guts to share some of my 'experiments'! I certainly have a lot to learn about how to photo though! Can't believe how tough it is to get a decent image! I will check out the jewelry section! Thanks for the invite!
With sincere thanks and admiration,
Wendy
Old 2009-11-23, 2:53pm

that bracelet is fabulous!!!!!! if your not selling maybe you should consider it!!!!

Old 2009-11-23, 2:55pm

another thought, i too have learned soo much from LE..everybody is very generous with their critiques, techniques, and just good info to help one become a better lampworker and jewelry maker!!!! here's to LE yeah

Old 2009-11-23, 3:07pm

Beautiful bracelet and beads! You should share more often.

Old 2009-11-23, 5:40pm

You have nothing whatsoever to be nauseous about. That piece is elegant and beautiful. You did yourself proud! Beautiful piece. I too feel that the price is low for what you have shown here. Keep the pictures coming please!

Gene
Old 2009-11-23, 5:54pm

Thank you all again! It makes such a difference to have some support from people who actually know what this stuff involves! Making the beads is tough but putting it all together into a piece of jewelry really is overwhelming...I agree! The only thing I can say is that having a concept and then choosing elements that were based on that concept really helped me to find direction (that doesn't say anything, of course, about the quality of that direction!! ). Now finding a concept is another story! I just looked for something that moved me...a walk outside under the stars....the famous "Starry Night' painting...and went from there. How do the rest of you approach it?
Also...your comments about price are very interesting. How would one go about finding a way to reasonable price work?

Last edited by wfdebicki; 2009-11-23 at 6:00pm.
Old 2009-11-23, 6:54pm

Love the way you put this together. I"m a lurker too. Glad you posted maybe I will figure out this posting thing too and we can be sick to the stomach together.
Old 2009-11-23, 7:19pm
Living out Loud

It is a beautiful work of art. Be proud!

Old 2009-11-23, 7:31pm

Absolutely beautiful, and worth way more than $50.00

Hope you share more!
Old 2009-11-23, 7:42pm
Happy Beadmaker!

Wendy, beautiful job & beautiful photography as well!

Congrats!
Lea

~
~
~
Old 2009-11-24, 12:31am
offically down under

Beautiful job and you should be very proud of both your beads and the PMC work. It is a very special bracelet and whoever is wearing it should be honored.

Most of my beads are rather simple compared to most of our talented bead makers. But, I often find mine sell well because they aren't over the top. A simple bead put into quality findings is never out of style.

Old 2009-11-24, 4:00pm
Glass Lover

I'll chime in like a parrot too - I think the bracelet is gorgeous and you've done a wonderful job on it. The beads are fab too!

You should show your work more often, YES....definitely. Bring it on!
Old 2009-11-25, 12:22pm
Mary Lockwood

I love pieces constructed this way, thanks for posting the larger image.

Old 2009-11-27, 4:03pm
Redhot Torch Mama

Gorgeous. You did a beautiful job!

Old 2009-11-27, 4:14pm

Great work, don't be shy about your creations and definitely charge more.