Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2009-12-15, 6:48am
Borosapien

Default are two of the Millenium M10 Concentrator good for a GTT phantom

i found these oxygen concentrator the millenium M10 concentrator
are two of these enough to power the GTT Phantom?

here is the link.

http://www.therespiratorysolution.co...0&Show=ExtInfo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-12-15, 10:33am
PyronamixK

It depends on what you want to do. The Respironics Millennium 10 puts out 10 LPM at about 5.5 psi. I know that he specs state that the operating pressure is 10-30 psi, but that is the pressure the compressor uses inside the seive beds, not the actual outlet pressure.

I have run two 10 LPM machines that put out 8 psi pressure on a Phantom and got about 75% of what the Phantom could do on tanked oxygen. To give you an idea of the heat available, Willy and I were able to melt and shape a 1.75" round boro gather in under four minutes.

Now, that was with a pair of machines that put out 8 psi. with more pressure, the performance would be better. With less pressure, the performance might not be as good. Because there are a lot of restrictions within the Phantom and because it has a large number of jets to feed, increased pressure is needed for better performance.

But, again, it all depends on what you want to be doing as to whether or not it will work for you. Adding a holding tank and a pressure builder would probably increase performance.
Old 2009-12-15, 12:14pm
Borosapien

Thank you Kimberly for explaning, i want to do Boro work on the Phantom
i have a lynx now but i don't want holding tanks in my Studio is there a Oxygen Concentrator that will power it enough?
did you mean that Willy and Wally made that gather while the torch was on Oxygen Concentrators at 75%?

Old 2009-12-18, 10:15am
Kobuki & DIY Homefill Sys

try tanked first, its cheaper to start than oxycons, can truly maximize the phantom, and will give you a good reference point if you decide to try oxycons.

Personally, I am of the opinion (based on testing) that oxycons cannot power a phantom to even 50% of the phantom's full capability compared to tanked. But it may power to 100% of an individuals flame need depending on how he/she works.
Old 2009-12-20, 6:27am
Borosapien

good tip i will do that

Old 2010-01-01, 2:35pm
I love glass

I have an EX-15 and M-15 concentrator to power my phantom. I put one on the inner fire and one on the outer fire and it is hot as hell. The other night when I was working with boro, the outer fire was so damn hot and I was getting really close to the flame. I can't imagine what it is like to run a phantom on tanks, it would probably be too hot for me. The only thing is you have to run both flames pretty high or you will get carbon buildup and that is annoying. I get serious carbon buildup if I am working with soft glass because I turn the inner flame down really low so I tend to switch to a smaller torch for soft glass.

Old 2010-01-02, 2:40pm
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalbone View Post
try tanked first, its cheaper to start than oxycons, can truly maximize the phantom, and will give you a good reference point if you decide to try oxycons.

Personally, I am of the opinion (based on testing) that oxycons cannot power a phantom to even 50% of the phantom's full capability compared to tanked. But it may power to 100% of an individuals flame need depending on how he/she works.
I agree. Once you get above a Cricket/Lynx/Minor/Mini CC size torch, tanks are always the best bet. You may find some concentrators that will do "good enough", but you are always pushing the concentrators to their max, and that shortens their life span.

Also, at maximum output, concentrators aren't putting out oxygen as pure as they are at lower levels, and they aren't as pure as tanks at any level. For some that may not matter, but there are a lot of times that oxygen purity makes a big difference in the finished color of the glass.

Old 2010-03-21, 1:34pm
Borosapien

i got my phantom now and i am running the centrefire on two 5lpm oxygen concentrators with a presure of 8 psi and i wan to put the outer ring on tanked oxygen is this wise?

Old 2010-03-21, 2:41pm

Yes thats a great way to go. I run my outer fire on tanks

Scott

ESTY
Old 2010-03-23, 9:24am

Yep, tanked for outer - I'll be doing that as soon as I get mine upgraded to 4-stud. I find I only need the outer flame rarely, and then for only short periods, and it'll be nice to have it at full power when I need it, and I doubt the oxy bill will run very high.

I run a pair of 5lpm 10psi concentrators for my inner fire and they do the job wonderfully.
Old 2010-03-23, 12:29pm
Borosapien

Great to read this thank you for the answers makes my day perfect