Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-07-30, 9:56am
Who? Me?

Default What to do with transparents...

Hi guys!

After reading and looking at so many beads, websites, tuts, etc., I am still wondering what most of you use transparent glass for. I am getting ready to go buy my first order of glass...yay and really want to make sure I get everything I need (the glass shop is about 2 1/2 hrs away; thanks to the person who recommended Accents Glassworks in Rockville!).

I'm hoping you guys could give me a few tips here--I'd soooo appreciate it! I've already got a HUGE list :...thanks to a few great threads on this and some of the other forums!

Only been doing this for about two weeks now...I LOVE IT! I am off this summer (from my 6th grade lovees), and I have now found my new fav pasttime...so much for the scrapping this summer. Oh well, maybe this winter, ha!

Thanks to all of you for sharing your tremendous wealth of knowledge!! I am truly awestruck by your work that you share. Hugs, Cindy
Old 2010-07-30, 10:16am
I fart diamonds

Layering, encasing... Pretty much everything I use opaques for, also.

Pale colors are great for encasing and darker ones are great for encased stringers, layering, etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-07-30, 4:37pm
one day at a time

Etching! Even plain one color etched round beads are every elegant if made into a graduated set. I'm going to try and make one this weekend and then I'll post the picture on here.
Old 2010-07-30, 5:25pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

Cindy, I like to make a white base bead and then stripe different colors of transparent on it. The white makes the transparent colors more intense and it's a good exercise in the differences in glass and how they melt. White is softer than transparents. If you're still working on getting a basic spacer shape right transparents are great to start with because they are stiffer. White is a good color to practice with because it becomes clear when hot and goes opaque as it cools so you can learn how heat moves within the glass and the bead.

Have fun, it's a great adventure!

Old 2010-07-30, 6:07pm
Sheila Davis Designs

Here's thread I found to be really helpful:
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...t=transparents

Old 2010-07-31, 4:35am
lurking on LE since 2005

for hollows!

J-55

Check out my Encasing and HOLLOW tri-color Tutorials in my Etsy shop-and my NEW encased, layered, feathered bead!

Old 2010-07-31, 9:24am
Who? Me?

Thanks everyone for your replies. Sheila, I hadn't come across that thread...it was perfect. I've been using transparents here and there, but just hadn't felt I was using them to the best of their qualities. Sooooo much to learn!

I also wanted to share with everyone what I've been working on in the last couple weeks. These, of course are my best so far. I do have a couple there with transparents. I really have to look at more encasing...

When everyone says practice, practice, practice...you are sooooo right!

Old 2010-08-01, 8:49pm

Nice looking beads!

Old 2010-08-01, 10:18pm
And silence is golden

Christmas ornements
Old 2010-08-02, 12:00am
Entropy increasing....

Nice beads! Yup, yup practice, practice, practice. I'm still practicing after 6 years!