Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-10-16, 1:22pm
professional gimme fiver

Default Silver Coring BHB - I hate doing it! Your experiences?

Ok, so I have the Jim Moore press, and it's big, and heavy and I'm not strong enough to use it sitting down so I have to stand the whole time. Which, isn't like, hours upon hours, but it's a good 45 mins. to an hour at a clip. I am wondering how the Impress liner stacks up in ease of use vs. the Jim Moore. I read through so many threads before I bought the press, I'm so bummed out that I'm not enjoying it. I really do not think it's the press design, I think it's just me.

Not only that, but every time I go to core I end up cutting myself. Not with the press, but with the silver/brass/copper tubing. I currently have little round cut marks on both my index fingers and they're annoyingly painful. Maybe I just haven't done it enough, maybe I just need more practice. I'm just discouraged.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-10-16, 1:25pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I do mine with the Impress while sitting on the couch with my beads and supplies on a tray on my lap. Easy Peasy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2011-10-16, 1:28pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

I second Squid, I do mine sitting listening to my current book on CD or music, I find it relaxing. It's the sort of repetitive craft that doesn't require intense concentration.

How are you cutting yourself with the tubing? Are you using a tube cutter?

Old 2011-10-16, 1:30pm
professional gimme fiver

Is it heavy and cumbersome? I can barely lift my press, although I'm admittedly a weakling.

Old 2011-10-16, 1:32pm
professional gimme fiver

I am using a tube cutter, but what do you do when you come to the end of the tube - like the last 1-2 inches? How do you get the tube to stay still while you spin the tube cutter around it? That's where I'm cutting myself, by squeezing the end of the tube with my index fingers to hold it in place while I try to spin the cutter. I don't just want to scrap that last few inches of good tubing, but I can't figure out how to use it without slicing myself.

Old 2011-10-16, 1:34pm
Tweedle Dumb

Nope, not heavy. I do the same thing as Squid. I cut all of my tubing, then I just sit and core for an hour. It is a lot of turning, but it's not a difficult job. One thing I did notice with my Impress is that I have to pay attention to which side is facing me. There is a side with a 10 on it, and one with out a 10 on it. I core with the side with out the 10 facing me, and I always look at the coring and put the "high spot" closest to me, otherwise I split a lot of tubes. There seems to be a bit of an angle to the press or something, but that fixed the problem.

<Click For My Latest Murrini!

<Click! For Pandora Style Beads!
Old 2011-10-16, 1:34pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

No, it's not heavy. It's solid but not heavy and easily fits in my hands

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2011-10-16, 2:30pm
Dark Flower Bead Art

I'm also in the "Lovin' impress" club. I also cut all my ubing and then core away while I'm chilling in front of a movie. Those last 2" or so are problematic for me. I save them up for a bug hunking bead and someday i'll trade them for scrap at Rio Grande or something.

[color="DarkOrchid"]** Check out my Etsy site
[/COLOR
Handmade at amazon

Old 2011-10-16, 4:00pm

I've got my impress screwed into a board that I clamp onto a little table in front of me. When I do lots at a time it prevents the hand fatigue that I can get otherwise.
Old 2011-10-16, 4:04pm
Queen Bee

I can't do it for the life of me - I just waste sterling, or break the bead, or both
I can't cut the sterling well, and find it very difficult, if not impossible to turn it. I usually just want to toss it out the window - and I'm sure it's totally me, not the tool.

Donna

Vintage & Contemporary Beads, Findings, Chains, Trinity Brass, Vintaj, Bead Tubing, Bobbins

Handmade Artist Lampwork Jewelry
Old 2011-10-16, 4:17pm
a pox upon an idiot :..

This is the fastest and easiest way to cut the tubing.

http://www.harborfreight.com/bench-t...source=linking
Old 2011-10-16, 4:24pm

I love Dave's impress from Art in the Round. Lightweight and easy to use...mine sits on a tray that I place on my lap...I core while watching tv. EASY!

Old 2011-10-16, 4:32pm
Superkitty

I've never tried the Impress, but I have the Jim Moore press and really like it. It is not, however, very portable.
Old 2011-10-16, 4:45pm
sunscreen me baby

I started with a Jim Moore and found I was didn't like the lack of control. I'm a weakling too and it was hard for me to make it work well. The impress is much easier. I find I hold it in one hand while turning it with the other. It's more precise and I don't split tubes now unless I've cut them too long.

I use a chop saw like the one linked. You still have to file a bit, but it's fast and easy to cut them.

~

Old 2011-10-16, 5:52pm
Certified Glassaholic!

I don't cut down the last bit. I just save it for when I have a bead that needs tubing that length

Old 2011-10-16, 6:43pm
"Sinners have soul too"

I've owned three different designs by three different makers... I think the Impress is my favorite. At least so far, I haven't sold it and exchanged it for something else like I did the others.

Old 2011-10-16, 6:49pm

You can try holding that last bit of tubing with round nose pliers.

Ginko Beads
Old 2011-10-16, 8:39pm
Live and Let Live

Haven't gotten to the end of a tubing section yet, but in reading about the problem, the first thing that popped to mind was holding it with one of those rubbery jar opener pads to have a good grip and save yourself from being cut.

I too have the Impress and love the ease of use... handheld so it's easy to see exactly what's going on and to adjust / flip accordingly.

Old 2011-10-16, 8:46pm
Mary Lockwood

I have the Impress liner and sit at my kitchen table to core, or sometimes I'll sit on the couch while the kids watch a movie. I pre-cut the tubing with a jeweler's saw which I find much easier than the tube cutters. The liner fits right in my hand, I twist the crank with the other hand. It's hefty in that it feels sturdy and strong, but not so heavy that it fatigues my hands. I do a lot with my hands though so maybe I'm sturdy too. LOL

Anyway, the portability is important to me. I love the Impess liner.

~~Mary

Old 2011-10-16, 11:17pm
professional gimme fiver

Thanks for the input everyone! I mentioned to my hubby today about getting a different press, and he kind of nervously said, "Yeah, but you're going to sell the one you already have, right?"

What a great idea with the cut off saw, and it's very reasonably priced, too! That's going on my xmas list.

Old 2011-10-19, 11:13am
sunscreen me baby

In hindsight I wish I had kept my Jim Moore. For thinner disc like beads I can't get tight enough. Having both would be ideal.

~

Old 2011-10-19, 11:31am
I'm not Barbie.

I use both and I love them both equally.