No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2024-01-23, 5:19pm
J R Hooper

Default Mystery Clear

Once about every decade or so, I get around to cleaning my studio up, since I definitely wear the breeches around here, and not because she told me to...
Yeah.
Anyways, I found a box of clear rods that had me stumped until I remembered walking into Mountain Glass Arts way back before they moved to their location next to the river (way back), and they asked me if I wanted some free glass.
Yeah, I definitely needed it then, the catch was that they had no idea what COE it was. I took it anyways, and about twenty years or so later, I have rediscovered it. Probably 30 or 40 rods of around 8-9mm clear of an unknown brand or COE. I'm looking for ideas, I thought about maybe doing little ornaments or icicles but that's kind of dull. Then again, I've no idea what to anneal this at either... LOL It's definitely not boro, and it's definitely not 104 though.
Old 2024-01-23, 6:13pm

They had some of the off-coe Precision Diamond Clear that was supposed to be 104 but was off enough to cause cracking. Could be that. I am not aware of them ever selling 96 or 90 coe
Old 2024-01-24, 12:26am
Slogan Challenged...

icicles sound safe.

You could probably use them with enamels. Try with frit also.

Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Etsy:

Old 2024-01-24, 9:29am
J R Hooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by echeveria View Post
They had some of the off-coe Precision Diamond Clear that was supposed to be 104 but was off enough to cause cracking. Could be that. I am not aware of them ever selling 96 or 90 coe
Well dang... turned out it was boro after all. The box it is in has writing that looks suspiciously like my own handwriting that says 'Not Boro' on it too... I cleaned a rod of it off and couldn't get it to budge, even with my Hydrogen hand torch which gets super hot, it might even be some kind of quartz.
Old 2024-01-25, 3:37pm

I like to add texture to clear glass and tumble etch it. I also like to use silver of gold leaf with clear glass. You can add mica to the surface, experiment with frit (small amounts seem to cope well with a wide range of CoE's) or try fuming it (which I have never tried).

I anneal my CoE 90 glass or 96 glass with the same schedule as 104 and don't suffer breakages.

ah edit to add, I didn't see that you have identified it as boro already