Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

View Poll Results: Shorts..What do you do with them?
I use them to the very end 231 73.33%
I use them until I feel the heat and then toss aside 73 23.17%
I use them until I feel the heat and then sell them 5 1.59%
What are shorts 6 1.90%
Voters: 315. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2008-02-02, 3:15pm

Default Shorts...What do you do with them?

I use mine until the very end, when my hand gets to close to the flame I get out my long pliers and hold it with them. Glass is too pretty and expensive to waste.
)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-02-02, 4:15pm
I'm a lilac!

I heat the tip of another rod of the same color and stick them together. With practice, you can get a nearly seamless joint, and just go on using it without any waste at all.

Old 2008-02-02, 4:21pm
Facebook addict

I melt them to another rod of the same, like Kalera. No waste.

Mini cc w/2, 5 lpm concentrators
Old 2008-02-02, 4:44pm

I make frit out my short rods.
Laurie

my etsy

Old 2008-02-02, 4:53pm
Burning Fingers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by weimy View Post
I melt them to another rod of the same, like Kalera. No waste.
"Ditto"

/
/
/

Old 2008-02-02, 4:53pm
FatCat Mama

Ditto for adding them to a longer rod. As long as I do this as I go along, I don't end up with a pile of shorts.

Teri P

Once we accept our limits, we go beyond them.
Albert Einstein

Orange Cricket with 10L oxycon and NG
Old 2008-02-02, 4:59pm

I wait until I have a pile of them in the same color, then spend a few minutes melting them together into a longer rod that I use to make spacers...

Unless it is really expensive or hard-to-get glass; then I punty onto it and use it to the bitter end.

Rita
Old 2008-02-02, 5:15pm
Trying to Hope!

I am hottible I thow them in apileonce in a while and save them to give away sell or for a rainly day

Etsy Here
Ebay Here

NEW Ebay Items all the time here

I buy Gold PM me for details
NEW Handmade jewelry on Etsy
Old 2008-02-02, 5:29pm
geekitude on two wheels

I usually join them to a longer rod, but sometimes I put it in my jar of shorts if I'm in the middle of something. When I'm 'warming up' at the torch, sometimes I'll melt like colors together. If i'm making frit, I go to the jar first to find colors.
Old 2008-02-02, 6:28pm

If it's nice, expensive glass, I use every bit of them...usually, LOL.

Mostly, I dump them on my work surface (granite slab) and a couple of times a year sort through the mess and bag 'em up, to maybe trade or sell if I ever get a scale. I do have a separate section of the mess that I try to put the expensive shorts in....

I've got way cool handmade bags for sale in the Garage Sale area for a buck each!
Old 2008-02-02, 6:33pm
Booger #7

I throw them into a 9x11 cake pan and then when I'm out of a color or running low, I'll go pick out the shorts in said color and fuse them together.

Old 2008-02-02, 10:27pm

Keep a pile and make them into Beads of Courage - use up leftover stringer or twistie bits while I'm at it. I use them down to the last maybe 1/8" - whatever I need to hold onto them with pliers....

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2008-02-03, 1:15am
as in the state

I'll use them down to where I feel the heat and then, depending on if I still need that color immediately, I will either toss it aside to deal with later, or I will use the hemostats and use it up entirely.

The ones that are tossed aside for later...well, I have ambition to either make them into frit, or use them if I need a little bit of a color later. I can just grab 'em in the hemostats and use 'em up.

I won't throw them away, though. I hate to waste glass.

-Amy
Old 2008-02-03, 7:38am
burnin' glass just becuz

i use my shorts to make bead cores or twisties

Give ideas away - there are new ones underneath... Diane Vreeland
Old 2008-02-03, 9:12am

You didn't leave an option for "Send them to me please" or "I've bought people's shorts!"
I don't have shorts of my own--I spin them onto the rod as I'm making a base bead...don't have any fancy rod holder or pliers--I've gotten really good at "stick & spin" on the rods as they get too short for me to hang onto--I just spin them into the base of a bead & Crunch-Press it! I use a random tool off the table to keep them spinning/melting in semi-straight. (Whimsicalities tools are great for poking the rod scraps back in line & so is a tiny brass marver)
Silver glass scraps (because all mine has been gifted!) get used on top, to the last little chip--If it's really short, I might nip it into little millifiore sized pieces & stick my bead into/onto them when it's hot to pick them up. That's the nice thing about the silver glasses--add a few twists & even the little chips can give you something fun!
~luna

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2008-02-03, 9:19am

I add them to a longer rod also...not necessarily the same color. In fact, as the longer rod I use those weird colored rods that I wonder why I ever bought and know I won't use for anything else

Lynx & Hurricane

Last edited by teefee; 2008-02-03 at 9:20am. Reason: spelling
Old 2008-02-03, 10:15am

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunamoonshadow View Post
You didn't leave an option for "Send them to me please" or "I've bought people's shorts!"
I don't have shorts of my own--I spin them onto the rod as I'm making a base bead...don't have any fancy rod holder or pliers--I've gotten really good at "stick & spin" on the rods as they get too short for me to hang onto--I just spin them into the base of a bead & Crunch-Press it! I use a random tool off the table to keep them spinning/melting in semi-straight. (Whimsicalities tools are great for poking the rod scraps back in line & so is a tiny brass marver)
Silver glass scraps (because all mine has been gifted!) get used on top, to the last little chip--If it's really short, I might nip it into little millifiore sized pieces & stick my bead into/onto them when it's hot to pick them up. That's the nice thing about the silver glasses--add a few twists & even the little chips can give you something fun!
~luna
I just got a new pair of pliers that rock - I need to get you a pair - they're perfect for shorts, good grip on the glass, and nice handles, too.

And yes, I buy other people's shorts...

~:
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2008-02-03, 11:37am
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

I bring mine to the So Cal Flamesurfers meeting, and donate them to
a good cause (my buddy Rich Santa Clause!). He makes the most
beautiful marbles with them - I love seeing my twistie odds end up
in one of his marbles!

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2008-02-03, 11:53am

I melt mine on the end of the same color and use to the end, bash some into frit and use others that are a little longer to pull a 1 or 2mm stringer end to use for swirls. I have a glass full of the latter in all colors, and it comes in handy when I decide to swirl something after I have started the bead.
Old 2008-02-03, 6:25pm

Default And hubby's choice

My husband (he isn't registered for this board yet) grabs shorts from our shorts bin and melts them onto a base paddle to make awesome twisties, encased cane, latticinos, all manner of pretty things...
Old 2008-02-03, 6:32pm

Awsome ideas everyone! I didn't know I could fuse them to one another, I figured it would cause a weakness in the glass. But know that I think about it that doesn't make sense, we add glass to glass all the time. Duh!
)

Old 2008-02-03, 6:56pm
Burning Fingers!

When I took my first class the teacher showed us how to do it. She said to slightly pull the "fuse" apart as it is hardening up so that you don't get a big lump. This way, for some reason it helps avoid any "shocking" later when you are melting to that point - not always, but most of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momoharley View Post
Awsome ideas everyone! I didn't know I could fuse them to one another, I figured it would cause a weakness in the glass. But know that I think about it that doesn't make sense, we add glass to glass all the time. Duh!

/
/
/

Last edited by Jane P; 2009-09-13 at 6:55pm.
Old 2008-02-03, 10:26pm
aka Bastille Bleu

I crush them into tiny pieces and use them as frit, or fuse it to another piece of the same color.
Old 2008-02-04, 6:47am
Beadaholic and lovin it!!

I use them until I feel the heat, then I set aside and use to make stringers. They way nothing is wasted.

BOREDOM IS A MATTER OF CHOICE NOT CIRCUMSTANCE

Old 2008-02-04, 6:50am
Hot Rod Addiction

I make twisties out of my shorts (I wonder if that's anything like getting my panties in a knot???) And once in a while stringers...but I use them to the very end.
Old 2008-02-04, 8:48am
da General

I use this awesome tool:

http://merickal.com/

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-02-04, 11:31am
Spell check please

I make frit with some of my shorts. I have an awesome frit masher that DH made me. The other glass shorts i punty together or share with a newby friend.

Elaine

My solid steel frit maker named monster mash.
Old 2008-02-04, 3:29pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley View Post
I use this awesome tool:

http://merickal.com/

Now that is pretty nifty. I bookmarked that site quickly! Thanks.
Old 2008-02-04, 3:35pm
Rose colored glasses…√

I either toss 'em aside and save 'em (for what I don't really know), or melt 'em to another rod.

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2008-02-04, 4:42pm
just plain silly

When the rod gets too short to comfortably hold onto - I clip the rod end into my looped hemostats. I can then use that down to about 1/3", then into the water it goes!

Suzanne