Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-07-23, 6:12pm
Disconnected

I have tried some Devardi colors and didn't like the product, but I think it's a little hypocrite to get on high horses about their production conditions when nobody think twice about buying iphones or cheap t-shirts or whatever else is being marketed to us and produced in the same conditions (think of those fires in garment factories in Bangladesh where hundreds died).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2014-07-23, 7:19pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Sounds like the conditions are just icing on the cake. The owner's having such poor customer is what is driving some people away. I mean, really, read that email.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2014-07-23, 9:59pm
one day at a time

One unhappy customer among dozens of satisfied customers is not going to scare me away. I read the email. I can understand why the customer was pissed off, and I can understand why Daniel was pissed off as well.

As far as the workers in India go, I wish the conditions were better. But just like you and I do, they have to make a living. We buy their glass, they get paid, and they can feed their families.
Old 2014-07-23, 11:08pm
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisi View Post
One unhappy customer among dozens of satisfied customers is not going to scare me away.
If you actually go back and actually read this thread it's 4 unhappy customers to 10 happy ones so far. That's pretty sucky stats.

Old 2014-07-24, 5:47am
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDesigns View Post
If you actually go back and actually read this thread it's 4 unhappy customers to 10 happy ones so far. That's pretty sucky stats.
That's only on here, and you need to realize something about LE. People don't always come forward to get involved in these kinds of discussions. They prefer to stay out of it, and I don't blame them. Now, if you do an anonymous poll on the likes or dislikes or dislikes of Devardi products and their customer service, you will get far more accurate results.

Unless numerous customers have been ripped off totaling hundreds of dollars like with what happened with Jo-Del and Spiral Dance, then openly trashing a vendor sucks. If customers have a problem with a broken tool, broken glass, or whatever else, they need to deal with the vendor and no one else needs to be involved. So they weren't happy, but they did get their money back. Enough said.
Old 2014-07-24, 7:36am

Default Other customer reviews are helpful

If I buy a car, I may check Consumer Reports and customer reviews.

If I buy a camera on Amazon, I may read the customer reviews on the site.

If I buy a lawn mower, I may ask my dad for his opinion from his many years of experience with small engines.

I prefer to be an informed consumer.
Old 2014-07-24, 9:26am

why isn't it as simple of taking a pic of the wrongly made press, and sending it with an email. if it's made wrong, a pic of the bad tool compared to a pic or the real thing/confirmed proper press.....easy peasy.

my take on devardi? decent cheap tools (the grabbers are great) and very poor glass for the most part. but i've never had an issue with any of it, so i can't opine on the customer service end of it.
Old 2014-07-24, 5:00pm

When I started lampworking I got some of their glass because of the neat colors and the very low prices. My oh my was it shocky, but with preheating and some practice on my part it was very usable. Some lampworkers do lovely work with it. I wouldn't say it was a glass for a beginner lampworker to use or someone who's work flow didn't include preheating the glass but I certainly feel I got good value for my money. The tools aren't finely finished but they have been serviceable and affordable. The stuff I had a problem with Natasha immediately corrected. Customer service seemed very good to me. Mark me as 11th satisfied customer.
Old 2014-07-24, 5:15pm
Storm Queen

Quote:
That's only on here, and you need to realize something about LE. People don't always come forward to get involved in these kinds of discussions. They prefer to stay out of it, and I don't blame them.
You're right. It goes both ways. People don't like to start a thread saying they had a bad experience because a dozen or so people have to chime in and say "I've never had a problem with ____" which almost makes the OP feel like those people are trying to invalidate their issue. It's great that many people haven't had a problem but it doesn't erase the fact that others have had a problem.

Old 2014-07-24, 5:30pm
JennyD

Quote:
You're right. It goes both ways. People don't like to start a thread saying they had a bad experience because a dozen or so people have to chime in and say "I've never had a problem with ____" which almost makes the OP feel like those people are trying to invalidate their issue. It's great that many people haven't had a problem but it doesn't erase the fact that others have had a problem.
I think you make a valid point. Sometimes we don't realize how we may come off. I speak for myself here and the fact that I did post positively about them on this thread.

I was not aware that people may feel like by posting that I had good transactions with a company, they may feel invalidated in their issue, but can certainly see that could be the case. No way was I trying to do that. Just stating I've had good service with them and to show sympathy for their situation.

I think every company has clients that vouch for them and like/love their service and also clients who have experience bad service, as every company must have good and bad clients. I don't think anyone should try to invalidate someone's opinion based on their experience. (not that am saying anyone has)

I stand by the fact that I believe their service is great(I've only corresponded with Natasha, so that is what I base it on), but I do hope those who recently had issues with them get a resolution.

...I'd rather be beading!

Old 2014-07-24, 5:36pm
Storm Queen

I'm not trying to make anyone feel bad Jenny. I know I've probably done it myself many times too. Just trying to point out the other side of it. But honestly, I've had a couple of issues in the past that I didn't post about for that very reason. I knew I get a bunch of "well I've never had a problem" and I'd be annoyed.

Old 2014-07-24, 5:40pm
JennyD

Quote:
I'm not trying to make anyone feel bad Jenny. I know I've probably done it myself many times too. Just trying to point out the other side of it. But honestly, I've had a couple of issues in the past that I didn't post about for that very reason. I knew I get a bunch of "well I've never had a problem" and I'd be annoyed.
LOL I can see that.

I didn't mean that you made me feel bad or anyone else for that matter(although that I do not know since I can't speak for everyone else)

I just meant your post gave me a new perspective of how the OP on these types of threads may feel.

In short, it opened my eyes lol

...I'd rather be beading!

Old 2014-07-28, 12:55am
Naysayer

I've not had a problem other than the way they ship things, I'm surprised more don't complain about broken things. I don't recall ever getting a padded envelope, just the regular priority ones with some bits of newspaper tossed in.

Oh wait, and the marble mold that smelled so strongly of gasoline it made the room smell so bad that I tossed it even after airing it out for a day. They told me to wash it

But some things I will buy, the hot fingers and some other tools. I can see both sides.
Old 2014-07-28, 11:11am
Glass-aholic

So sorry that everyone has had issues. I've never delt with anyone but Natasha. I would have never thought that anyone else in the company could act so differently! Wow... Guess I got lucky.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2014-07-28, 11:39am

Yee, I'm sorry you got broken glass from Devardi.

I use some of their colors because I like them enough to put up with the shockiness. The last time I ordered Devardi glass was spring 2014. At that time I noticed that their website said standard shipping was the way you (and I) received it: wrapped in one sheet of newspaper and in a non-padded envelope. Most of my glass was broken too. When I placed my order, I noticed that I could upgrade my shipping to a padded envelope for an additional fee; I chose to risk it and it was a dumb decision. Next time I order glass from Devardi, I will pay to upgrade my shipping.

I am sad about the tone of the emails that LE peeps received from Daniel. I have always dealt with Natasha and she is great.

I didn't know about Daniel's previous posts on LE. I'll have to do a search...

--Helene
Old 2014-07-28, 11:51am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofsheba52 View Post
Yee, I'm sorry you got broken glass from Devardi.

I use some of their colors because I like them enough to put up with the shockiness. The last time I ordered Devardi glass was spring 2014. At that time I noticed that their website said standard shipping was the way you (and I) received it: wrapped in one sheet of newspaper and in a non-padded envelope. Most of my glass was broken too. When I placed my order, I noticed that I could upgrade my shipping to a padded envelope for an additional fee; I chose to risk it and it was a dumb decision. Next time I order glass from Devardi, I will pay to upgrade my shipping.

I am sad about the tone of the emails that LE peeps received from Daniel. I have always dealt with Natasha and she is great.

I didn't know about Daniel's previous posts on LE. I'll have to do a search...

--Helene
Daniel had a pretty dramatic meltdown on LE and went back and deleted most if not all of his nasty posts, just fyi for when you search.

And really? one sheet of newspaper in a non-padded envelope is standard for GLASS?? That is ridiculous.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2014-07-28, 12:59pm
one day at a time

Oh wow...I wasn't aware that he shipped without using boxes for glass! I always got mine in boxes, and one time I ordered and he sent it in a box with tools, and the glass was inside a hard cardboard tube for protection.

Glass should never be shipped in envelopes. Not ever, unless it's inside a strong cardboard tube or a piece of PVC pipe.
Old 2014-07-28, 1:21pm
Disconnected

Quote:
Oh wow...I wasn't aware that he shipped without using boxes for glass! I always got mine in boxes, and one time I ordered and he sent it in a box with tools, and the glass was inside a hard cardboard tube for protection.

Glass should never be shipped in envelopes. Not ever, unless it's inside a strong cardboard tube or a piece of PVC pipe.
Yes, I'm surprised they haven't been called out by their shipping service, whoever they use. It's really idiotic and it's putting the whole business at risk.

Old 2014-07-28, 1:30pm
Slogan Challenged...

I've only gotten glass in tubes in a box too, but I usually order a few things. I'm amazed that a vendor would do that. I think that if any of this happened to me, I would want to cry.

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2014-07-28, 7:41pm
Against the Grain

Something is becoming very clear in this thread. A little non-adversarial exchange of information can be a good thing. Unfortunately, a fight usually erupts first. Glad to see this going in a better direction.

Old 2014-07-28, 7:59pm
Borovangelist

I ordered some of the boro and their grabbers a while back and they arrived in pretty decent condition. The glass had a little minor breakage, but I just put it back together.

The shipping was pretty quick, overall.

I think with any company there's good and bad and some of that falls on the customers too. There's one vendor out there I don't use unless it's my absolute last option because of how other customers have been treated, but I've never had a problem with them.

Read what you can, make the decision and decide if the risk is acceptable.

Oh, and the Devardi white boro sucks.

|
|
Old 2014-07-29, 5:11pm

I can't even imagine mailing glass without padding and a box. Who does that!
Old 2014-07-29, 7:54pm

I have had nothing but spectacular service and polite e-mails from Devardi Glass . I am surprised and a little suspect regarding the post stating that he service has been rude. I have had multiple orders and many e-mails/ lots of opportunity for the rude side to rear its head. Every time prompt service and very prompt turn around . Would definatly recommend them to my friends.
Old 2014-07-29, 7:55pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHarris View Post
I have had nothing but spectacular service and polite e-mails from Devardi Glass . I am surprised and a little suspect regarding the post stating that he service has been rude. I have had multiple orders and many e-mails/ lots of opportunity for the rude side to rear its head. Every time prompt service and very prompt turn around . Would definatly recommend them to my friends.
Are you saying people are lying about him being rude?

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2014-07-29, 8:06pm
Against the Grain

What I don't understand is why it seems like so many people need to contact them. When I order online, I expect things to go pretty smoothly. I don't want to be wasting my time contacting customer service.

Old 2014-07-29, 8:10pm
Slogan Challenged...

Quote:
I think everyone agrees Natasha is wonderful. They also agree that there are shipping issues that continue to be a problem. Shipping glass in an envelope?! How did you receive your orders?

I've never dealt with Daniel so I don't have an opinion, but if a vendor talked to me that way I would cry. My sympathy is with the OP. Boo. I hope the vendor can make it right for her.

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2014-07-29, 8:32pm

In reading this thread, it seems that everyone who has dealt with Natasha has had a wonderful experience while those who have had the misfortune of dealing with Daniel have horror stories. It also seems that Danie has been out of the customer service picture until recently-I question what happened to Natasha. (For some reason, I am under the impression that they were m arried but Have no Idea where I got that....*shrug*)

All my children have paws
Proud Member of "YOU PEOPLE" 9.13.11
Old 2014-07-30, 1:26pm

If memory serves me correctly they used to have a page on their site telling their story. She was living in Russia or Ukraine, met Daniel, and came here to marry him? It sounded like they met on the internet or something?

I hope there's nothing being read into that statement--I mean no judgement.
Old 2014-07-30, 2:15pm

Quote:
See, this is where things go wrong in these conversations.

Saying someone's post is "suspect" is disrespectful and condescending, putting others on the defensive.

The topic of the thread is poor service, not spectacular service, for this particular vendor. If several buyers are having issues with multiple aspects of how a vendor does business, in my opinion, it is good to share on this type of forum. There are many glass vendors out there and I prefer to support the ones who do give consistantly great service, while delivering a reasonably priced product in a well-packed, unbroken manner.

I stumbled across Devardi on my own on ebay. Other vendors that I now use, I found here in discussions on LE, and so far LE members have not steered me wrong.

Any vendor like Devardi that has such a love/hate relationship with its buyers, should make any buyer cautious.
Old 2014-07-30, 4:20pm
Against the Grain

Quote:
I find it kind of "suspect" that this is your first post on this forum.