Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-11-14, 9:31am

Default newbie flame temp, my beads are spliting on cleaning

I have just started trying to do decorative work on my beads after forming a base bead. I think I am maintaining the bead hot enough but obviously I am doing something wrong. I am applying dots, reheating, stringer work etc. I get some good results, but when I am cleaning the bead release, the bead crumbles or splits in two. Can someone explain where in the flame I should be holding my base bead, what color should I let it cool to before applying anything else?
I feel like I am taking a giant step backward.
Old 2014-11-14, 9:35am
Loving learning

You can't keep it totally out of the flame for long, or at least I can't.

I do a little decoration, then twirl the bead (not close to the torch head) in the flame, do a little more, twirl the bead, etc. Sometimes I kind of count to myself so I don't forget.
Old 2014-11-14, 10:01am
Dazed and Confused

Have you noticed whether its cracking through the added decoration or is it just the base bead?

My guess is that you're allowing the bead to cool down too fast after you've finally finished working it.

Are you using an annealer, or a fibre blanket/vermiculite after you've finished the bead? If no, then you might find you need to keep the bead warm for longer than you are currently
Old 2014-11-14, 1:20pm

I am using an annealing kiln. I know it is a high wire balancing act to keep everything at the right temp. Thanks for the advice!
Old 2014-11-14, 3:01pm

First of all DON'T get discouraged you are not moving backwards!
I am just starting up again after 4.5 years away (not my choice).
The heat control balance act is essential in the learning curve.

Here is what I am learning. My annealing kiln is set to 960.
It is ALL about the Core heat. When you are working a bead get the base shape then heat the core by holding it in the end of the gale and slowly gently rotating for about 1 full min.
Yes - I have a clock with a second hand in front of me.
I want the inside warmed up real well with the outside still firm.
As I add each decoration I spot heat for the decoration and then go out to the end of the flame to keep the core warm.
when I am done I give it a brief (15 second) look and go out to the end of the flame and warm the whole thing for at least a min again. When I put it in the kiln it should still have a warm dull glow to it while still having the outside firm.

I hope this makes sense!
The end of the flame and core heat are your friends!
Jen
Old 2014-11-14, 5:42pm
Slogan Challenged...

Great advice here from everyone!

I'll add that when you make your base shape, evenly heat it before starting to add designs. This will help you keep that core heat, and designs are not added all at once (shame!!).

Get some good light, and know how to check for a glow. You definitely want it evenly heated again before you put it away.

Splitting in two is a thermal crack. Crumbling is another story. You might have something else going on. Make sure that the hot beads don't touch each other. They need to cool a little first before you stack them. I got some weird cracking that way until I got it worked out.

Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Etsy:

Old 2014-11-14, 8:35pm

Remember that your mandrel is a heat sink, and it will drain the bead faster near the core. Try keeping the bead itself hotter and the decorations cooler rather than the other way around.

Barbara
Old 2014-11-16, 11:00am

Thank you so much to everyone. With those tips I'll go back to practice. Jenfire, what is the "gale"?
Old 2014-11-16, 12:27pm

http://www.cmog.org/video/studio-dem...phanie-sersich

this is worth watching
good luck
Old 2014-11-18, 3:13pm

Thanks Yellowbird. I was amazed at the ease with which she moved in and out of the flame. I did wonder also, how to know when to increase the oxygen and when to decrease. It seems there is a whole body of knowledge about glass and flame. I am having a hard time finding much written for us newbies about that.
Old 2014-11-20, 10:09pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloria3260 View Post
Thank you so much to everyone. With those tips I'll go back to practice. Jenfire, what is the "gale"?
OMG - LOL the gale is a typo. It is supposed to be the flame!
Jen
Old 2014-11-21, 12:15pm
randomly active member

Typically you are adding decorations outside the flame and your bead will cool off a lot faster than you think it does. And when you are fairly new, it takes a lot longer to add decorations than you even realize.

I personally think "heat control" is the hardest thing to learn as a newbie. It just takes a lot of practice and eventually you will be able to read the heat in the bead without even thinking about it.

Do you feel any "tink" in the bead while working it? Sometimes the cracks can happen while adding decorations if the core is cool and the stringer is hot. You want to make sure that after you are done manipulating the bead, you give it a good thorough soaking in the flame to bring it all the way back up to a nice uniform heat (without distorting anything) before putting it right in the kiln.

Do not be tempted to look at it before putting it in the kiln. Often it is the period of admiration that can trigger a thermal shock Bring it up to a nice soft glow and stick it right in the kiln.
.:.

Old 2014-11-21, 12:20pm
addicted to dichro

Are you sure you aren't marvering or shaping your beads too much so that they are too thin? Your should have something like at least 1.5 times the bead holes diameter on either side in glass thickness.

Old 2014-11-22, 8:34am

More great advice!!! Yes, I think I am doing the period of admiration. I am practicing everyone's suggestions and I am getting some good results. You are all awsome!!!

Thank you so much!!!!