No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-11-17, 7:44pm
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

Default Glass ID?

Ok, I should have asked from the person the second I bought this, but she seems to have disappeared, I think she sold all her glass stuff... so I am turning to you all now.
So, I bought this glass in a bunch of shorts, mostly unlabeled stuff, but all 104. Quite a bit silver glass too, so I think this might be some silver glass... if I only knew.
The color is pretty much yellowish greenish transparent, kinda what I would think uranium would be, but it doesnt seem to strike (or then I wasnt skilled enough)... slightly reduces to amberish sheen with some kinda like snot greenish tint on edges (sorry for the mental image... just didnt really know any other similar greens... )
Tried encasing it, didnt really seem to make any difference, but this all was just in the end of the rod, maybe if Id made a bead it would have behaved differently.
I thought immediately it is silver glass, but maybe the tiny lines I see arent silver at all... maybe its just scum on the surface... go figure.

If you got any idea what this might be, please let me know!
Attached Images

Old 2010-11-17, 7:49pm
geekitude on two wheels

maybe mountain honey? altho i thought the roads weren't quite so clear... http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=86673
Old 2010-11-17, 7:51pm
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

Hmm.... maybe, GT??? Whats that? And that would be then silver glass?
Old 2010-11-17, 7:58pm
geekitude on two wheels

yes, it's reduction glass

Here's a listing for some of their other stuff, the black nebula is one of my favorites. http://www.artistryinglass.on.ca/sto...e_1_c_440.html
Old 2010-11-17, 8:16pm
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

Well, black nebula does ring a bell. Thank you, that link is great! I think thats probably what I have then. Thanks gazillion both of you! Id be scratching my head forever without your help!
Thanks!
Pia
Old 2010-11-17, 9:22pm
Formerly FishBulb

I thought it looked a bit like Reichenbach Garzoni 104 (not to be confused with the Precision Garzoni 104!) although mine doesn't have the streaks that yours has.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2010-11-17, 9:41pm
Lampworkaholic!

Precision 104 Botero maybe, or one of the Precision 104 odds.

It's not Mountain Honey, at least it's nothing like the Mountain Honey I have in my collection.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2010-11-17, 9:45pm
Dichro Addict

It looks a lot like a batch of Reichenbach Silver Brown that I have. I'm not a big fan of this batch of silver brown.

Old 2010-11-17, 10:41pm
Corgi Cult Member

Too much of a 'yellowish' green for Botero, but if you keep hitting it with a strong oxy flame and the snot part gets more opaque and turns pretty, then it might be.

My Mountain Honey isn't green at all in rod form.

The Reich Silver Brown I have doesn't have a green tone either, but what your rod is doing is very similar to the yucky batch of silver brown I have.

A couple years ago I purchased a bunch of R4 unmarked silver shorts. There were a couple of rods in the bunch that looked just like what you have. Don't think I ever identified what they were.

I love a good glass mystery!

Old 2010-11-18, 1:11am

Hi Pia,
I believe you bought that box from me. That was a bunch of "D-something or other" silver glass from Rocio studios. It is definitely a silver glass. i bought it about 3-4 years ago.
Jen
Old 2010-11-18, 1:56am

It looks like GT Glassworks Mountain honey. Work it up regular and then reduce it a bit. Encase and it should go kind of ghostly. You can get some blues and greens to.
Try putting it on a base of black. If you get streaky wisps of color, then I'm pretty sure it's Mountain Honey from GT!

Old 2010-11-18, 2:41am

Hi Pia,

Here's a list that Hayley posted some time ago with all the R4 rod colors. If you bought it from Jen then maybe its DaVinci 1 (since she thinks it started with a D). Many R4 colors seem to vary quite a bit from batch to batch which can make identification difficult.

I bought an unlabeled assortment of R4 colors a while back and I have some rods that look almost identical in color to yours. I labeled them as Waterfall but I can't remember now how I came to that conclusion.

Good luck figuring it out!

Reducing
Black Pearl – almost black
Chagall – very, very dark blue
daVinci 1 – ranges from almost clear to tint of yellow
Frida Sunset – not sure about rod color but it pits to boils
Garzoni / Botero – light green transparent
Hurricane Rumble – dark blue, does boils a bit
Ivy – medium blue
Kandinsky – medium dark to dark blue, boils a bit, use slightly reducing flame to melt rod, yields copper red
Matisse – dark blue to almost black, same characteristics as Kandinsky
Monet – black
Peridot – light green
Picasso – dark ink blue
Rembrandt / Miro Silver Emerald – emerald green
Renoir – sorry I never used this one, I assume it's another blue rod
Sashas Silver / Michelangelo – ranges from dark gray to dark brown transparent, some rods have skin of opaque light bluish green
Silver Mist / Rocio – medium blue, very similar to Ivy, perhaps a bit lighter blue
Silver Stone – medium gray translucent
Sissley – fairly light greenish blue
Unknown Artist – never used this
Waterfall – first batch was translucent light blue, second was light golden yellow

Striking
Dali – amber to topaz
daVinci 2 – range from dark brown to purple, opaque rod, concentric circled core
Van Gogh – tan skin with concentric circled core
Old 2010-11-18, 8:21am
Lampworkaholic!

Peridot – light green?

Definitely not Dali or DaVinci, but almost definitely R4 which is the same as Precision 104. Rocio renamed some of the colors.

It looks like one of the crappy odds (I got the same unlabeled assortment), full of small inclusions and seed bubbles. Have you made a bead with it yet? A paddle will not yield the exact same colors that a bead will.

I used mine as a base glass for DH Pandora and that turned out nicely.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2010-11-18, 8:31am

Elizabeth - that's a great tip to use it as a base for other silver colors! Thanks!
Old 2010-11-18, 8:49am
Glass-aholic

the original Olympic Rain???????? or electra??? looks similar, but I have not looked at the rods in a while....

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2010-11-18, 9:51am
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

Jen!!!! There you are, I havent seen you forever, so I thought you left lampworking behind... yes it is from you, thank you so much! Were you able to get anything except the amberish sheen out of it?
Old 2010-11-18, 9:58am
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

Thank you so m uch for everyone who have tried to solve the mystery. I am so glad Jen saw this thread too.
I have not made a bead of it yet, but since I work tonigt, and didnt sleep until 5 like I was supposed to, maybe I can make beads for couple hours and then take a power nap before my shift. Next chance wont be until Sunday.
Anyhow, I dont know what to do with the color, so I think Elizabeths awesome tip of using it as a base for silver color is the winner!
Jen I will shoot you a pm about some other glass in the box. Thanks everyone!!!