Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2013-05-09, 5:55pm

Default Opalescent Boro

I have heard that a long time ago there was an italian bead maker who used a method of inclusion of porcelain in bead making to capture an opalescent look for glass pearls.

I am wondering if any of the known manufacturers of borosilicate rods currently have a glass rod that gives this effect?

Is there even such a glass in the soft glass realm?
Old 2013-05-09, 7:18pm
Playing with Fire!

Mixing clear with Origin White gives a very pearlescent opalescent white. Deep green, and dark purple glasstronic rods mixed with clear do the same thing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Playing with Fire!
Old 2013-05-09, 7:20pm
Playing with Fire!

Oops... I meant to say they are boro colors.

Playing with Fire!
Old 2013-05-09, 9:52pm

Could you encase a clear rod with any white to get that effect or does it have to be origin? Origin, thats the boro bars right?
Old 2013-05-09, 10:07pm

In my experience they need to be mixed not layered.
Old 2013-05-10, 12:32pm
Playing with Fire!

They need o be very well mixed, and the more clear, the more translucent it becomes. Very few boro colors do this, Origin white boro-bars are what I use... I have tried other brands of white and they do not result in an opalescent look. The green and purple Glasstronics rods are the other colors/brand that I have found to give this result.

When in doubt, experiment, and then experiment some more!

Playing with Fire!
Old 2013-05-17, 1:58pm
Progression in progress

Location: please ask for where i live to send items thank you

Could someone post a picture of the end result of all this mixing? Please.

Old 2013-05-17, 9:03pm
Flamewoman

Yeah I'm with James, lets see a pic. And after you mix this glass up how do you use it? Surface? Compression/implosion? Does it fade away on implosion? Can you make florals with it?

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2015-04-19, 7:47am
Pyromaniac

Hi Ryan, Momka's yellow pearl is good for this. You could also try Magic Mirror. To get some iridescence you could add some dichroic to it. Play with your flame chemistry too to get a bit of cloudiness.

Momka's yellow pearl

Magic Mirror

Sexy Barracuda and Mirage

Old 2015-04-19, 5:25pm

2 yr old zombie thread
Old 2015-04-20, 6:45am
Borovangelist

It's still interesting. Folks are still griping over on the talkglass about how the satin colors never happened.

|
|
Old 2015-04-20, 2:20pm
Pyromaniac

LarryC, nothing to get upset about, I just noticed my friend is on LE and wanted to say Hi and give some info.

Sexy Barracuda and Mirage

Old 2015-05-25, 9:34pm

I appreciate the heads up Lana, I had a stick of the magic mirror and it's pretty incredible the effects you get from just that clear rod! I made this thread to attempt faux pearls from boro. It has been a long tradition for Italian glass makers to use hollow glass beads and fill them with fish scales and seal with wax to achieve that natural look f baroque pearls. Only people of high society in the 1800's could afford such luxuries, but they were all the high fashion of the period.

Ever wanted to live in a Log Cabin? Well, Y'all come on down to Tennessee

Old 2015-05-26, 1:57pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvp117 View Post
I appreciate the heads up Lana, I had a stick of the magic mirror and it's pretty incredible the effects you get from just that clear rod! I made this thread to attempt faux pearls from boro. It has been a long tradition for Italian glass makers to use hollow glass beads and fill them with fish scales and seal with wax to achieve that natural look f baroque pearls. Only people of high society in the 1800's could afford such luxuries, but they were all the high fashion of the period.

Whos upset? Just thought it was a dead thread. I would try some mica dust.
Old 2015-07-16, 5:11pm
funny mofo

There used to be a color called Mother of Green Pearl, I think by Northstar. It was like that -- but it's discontinued. You have to hunt for it.
Old 2015-07-17, 4:50am
DaveK

Has anyone tried this with boro? http://www.tms.org/pubs/journals/jom...byko-0709.html
You can call me Dave 🎨
Old 2015-07-17, 5:11am

who the hell has 4oz of uranium laying around? how would one even aquire that w/o being put on a watch list?
Old 2015-07-17, 6:04am
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by istandalone24/7 View Post
who the hell has 4oz of uranium laying around? how would one even aquire that w/o being put on a watch list?

Old 2015-07-17, 6:11am

unless the recipe meant uranium glass....but somehow i don't think that's the case.
Old 2015-07-17, 6:56am
DaveK

Quote:
Originally Posted by istandalone24/7 View Post
unless the recipe meant uranium glass....but somehow i don't think that's the case.
I think you're right. Of course, back then cocaine was sold over the counter. This only talks about silver nitrate https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiffany_glass
You can call me Dave 🎨

Last edited by KA; 2015-07-17 at 6:58am.
Old 2015-07-17, 7:47am

lol, true. and Bayer Inc sold Heroin otc as well.
Old 2015-07-18, 8:41am
Borovangelist

You'd be surprised what individuals can buy. You can still get uranium. I believe one of NS's new colors has a small mount in it.

It's when you start buying uranium and the parts for high speed centrifuges you run into problems.

|
|