Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-07-18, 7:19am

Default purple rubino trouble

Hi! I got a kiln a month or so ago, and I have figured out that if I do any more than a THIN layer of Effetre Rubino Oro it turns purplish instead of staying pink. Does anyone else have this problem? Can I fix it?
Old 2008-07-18, 7:49am

I would think a thin layer lets more light through the Rubino . A thick layer blocks some of the light
Liz R

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MADE IN THE U.S.A.

Lead me not into temptation, Oh hell follow me I know a short cut
Old 2008-07-18, 8:11am

That has happened to me. My theory (no proof to back it up yet is that my kiln was too hot and it happened in the kiln. I pulled a rubino bead out (thick layer over white) and thought . . . hey, i didn't work with edp this session, why do I have a purple bead?
Old 2008-07-19, 12:36am
Glass-aholic

the vetro is darker and more on the purple side than moretti (IMHO). but it depends on the batch too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2008-07-21, 4:38am
caffiene, beads, bedhead,

kiln is a little too hot,,,
Ive been getting this lately too, but I have to say I loveeeee it!
the purple that strikes is so pretty almost irridescent*
ramp down about 50 degrees on your kiln if you arent trying to get that. lol

~~
~~
Old 2008-07-21, 10:27am

I got all excited when I read the title of this thread.
I thought, OH! Purple rubino!! Who makes it and where can I buy it? lol
I thought it was a new glass color.

Old 2008-07-21, 10:50am
Just me

Which rubino are you using? I'd like to see a pic of what you're talking about if you have one.

I agree with Jaci about the vetrofond rubino.
I bought some vetrofond dark rubino a while back and it definitely has a more purple cast to it.
The rose on this bead is that rubino over white, not quite what I expected.

Old 2008-07-21, 10:52am
Looking for my waistline

What temp do you have your kiln set at? Some of us might want to use the effect?
Old 2008-07-21, 11:05am

my kiln had been running a little hotter, Id say about 1050 degrees, If I bring it down to read between 900 and 950 I dont get the striking..

~~
~~
Old 2008-07-21, 12:12pm

oh anddddddd if ya want the hot pink rubino effect lay the bead in the kiln really close to the heating element, lol

~~
~~
Old 2008-07-22, 9:43am
Looking for my waistline

What temp are you running your kiln at, Mariak? I know a lot of people will wait and make thier rubino beads last so they don't sit in the kiln too long. If you want to know EVERYTHING about rubino, head over to Kandice's site.
Old 2008-07-22, 10:37am
Crazy Snake Lady

Wow Laurie those are gorgeous!!!
Old 2008-07-22, 8:44pm

I have never had this trouble until today. I used effetre rubio over white vetro and it turned more purplish than the pink. Then I used it (rubio) over effetre white and it was pink again. Reason: the vetro white is not as dense as the effetre. This was causing it to appear more purplish and more translucent than over a more dense white.
Old 2008-07-23, 5:27am

Kandice,

What temp do you suggest for annealing the rubino? I have the same problem I made some beads with a small amount of rubino, encased with clear. I had a beautiful hot pink and then I annealed them and they came out light orchid purple. I'll try and post pictures later...but not good yet with getting good pictures of my beads. Thanks Becky

Last edited by beadmama; 2008-07-23 at 5:30am.
Old 2008-07-23, 8:41am
Looking for my waistline

I've also noticed when I made my rubino beads first, then spend a long time on the torch with the rubino bead soaking the whole time, it tends to darken slightly more than if I'd have made it as my last bead and only annealed it for a short period before shutting down. A long torch session for me is about 6 hours. Some people may think that's a short session, though...
Old 2008-07-23, 11:44am

Thank you for your tips, Candice

Me on flickr:

My blog:
Old 2008-07-23, 12:50pm

Thank you Kandice and everyone else who has had suggestions here. I am using Moretti 456. It comes up a pretty orchid opaque color coming out of my kiln using 960 temp, but I really want the pink that I start out with when my bead is first done. I am batch annealing, too, not sure if that would have any effect. I guess it will PPP for me.

Laurie I love those pansies!!!

Last edited by beadmama; 2008-07-23 at 2:04pm.
Old 2008-07-27, 11:00pm
Glass-aholic

Also just wanted to add that if you mix rubino with clear (or a light transparent pink or adventurine) that the clear/pink will dilute and protect the pinkness from darkening.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:

Last edited by jaci; 2008-08-05 at 3:34pm.
Old 2008-07-28, 8:09pm

Rubino also deos not like transparent ambers! light yellow is fine, amber.. bleck if they melt in together..

~~
~~