No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-05-31, 12:56am

Question Newbie question about dicro in the flame

Hi people!

I've been lampworking for about a year and a half now, with a couple of several-months-long hiatuses for health and family things, and am feeling pretty comfy with the basics, and looking to branch out a bit. I'm getting to the point where I am beginning to experiment with silver glasses, and WOW is that fun. And now, being a lover of bright and shiny objects - I think I may have been a magpie in a former life - I am itching to play with dichro. But don't know how to use it without wasting it, have heard of it turning grey and no longer pretty. I'm hoping to avoid going through that phase.

I would love to be able to make stringers, perhaps encased ones that I could use with abandon and not have to worry about hurting the dichroic bits. Can anyone help me? I am thinking about getting a few colors of the 1/4 inch strips of moretti dichro, mainly on black but maybe also a couple on clear.

I'm also wondering about dicing it up into small bits and picking it up on the marver and then encasing. Is that feasible?

Well thanks,

Bettina
Old 2013-05-31, 3:06am

i'm a dichro virgin myself...my first order is going to be here today! check out this thread over on TMP, as it answers alot of your questions.

http://www.talkglass.com/forum/showt...-galaxy-effect
Old 2013-05-31, 3:40am
sunscreen me baby

If you keep the shiny side out of the flame you will be fine.

To make a stringer: Heat a big gather of clear or transparent, carefully heat the back side of the dichro and then paint the blob of clear onto the shiny side. Paint the other side to make sure you have covered the edges. They can bubble and give you scum.

I would suggest getting the dichro on clear for stringers. The black can "block the view"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2013-05-31, 12:33pm
Senior Moment

It's the heat that is the issue with dichro as it burns easily. A cool flame, such as you find on a HotHead, is much easier on dichro. Having a HH, I often put the sparkly side directly in the flame and it's fine. But not something I would do with a dual torch, which tend to run hotter.

And I totally understand; pretty sure I have a magpie gene somewhere LOL

Alli

I never finish anything. I have a black belt in partial arts.
Old 2013-05-31, 9:12pm
Astro Cat

I like to use the dichro on clear as many have stated, dichro away from the flame. After putting the amount I want on the bead I try to carefully push down the edges of the clear glass so that the dichro near the edges also does not get exposed to the flame. I think I learned this in Leah Fairbank's class, I think I may also have learned similarly in Josh Mazet's class when dealing with boro dichro. My apologies to the teachers if I am misquoting The only other thing is you may find that overheating the dichro can burn some colors out. I don't use enough of it myself to have a really good feeling on it. but I hate having the edges scum out.
my Scorpion!
Old 2013-06-01, 11:25am

Thanks, folks! This is very helpful. I will experiment
Old 2013-06-03, 10:14am

So, everyone, I have just a moment to respond to you all a bit better . . . istandalone . . . that was a very helpful thread. I'm so curious to know, did you make your order? If so, what did you get, and have you tried it yet? How did it go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by istandalone24/7 View Post
i'm a dichro virgin myself...my first order is going to be here today! check out this thread over on TMP, as it answers alot of your questions.

http://www.talkglass.com/forum/showt...-galaxy-effect
Old 2013-06-03, 10:17am

SuzyQ,

WOW, thanks for the instructions! I am changing my order to include more clear than black - I'm starting to make marbles so the black will be good for those but for stringer I can see how one would want to make it visible from all sides. Such great help - thanks again!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ View Post
If you keep the shiny side out of the flame you will be fine.

To make a stringer: Heat a big gather of clear or transparent, carefully heat the back side of the dichro and then paint the blob of clear onto the shiny side. Paint the other side to make sure you have covered the edges. They can bubble and give you scum.

I would suggest getting the dichro on clear for stringers. The black can "block the view"
Old 2013-06-03, 10:18am

Fellow magpie Allicat,

This is also extremely helpful. As I am on a Lynx I have the choice to burn hot or cool . . . and will keep it cool with the dichro!

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by allicat View Post
It's the heat that is the issue with dichro as it burns easily. A cool flame, such as you find on a HotHead, is much easier on dichro. Having a HH, I often put the sparkly side directly in the flame and it's fine. But not something I would do with a dual torch, which tend to run hotter.

And I totally understand; pretty sure I have a magpie gene somewhere LOL

Alli

Last edited by Bett; 2013-06-03 at 10:21am.
Old 2013-06-03, 10:26am

Orion,

Are your name + the cat avatar a reference to Men in Black?

Another very comprehensive answer, for which I thank you! You folks are all great for being so helpful!

I do have one tiny question - what do you mean to push down the edges? Is that to push the molten glass down upon/over the edges? Or to push the edges into the molten glass?

Either way thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
I like to use the dichro on clear as many have stated, dichro away from the flame. After putting the amount I want on the bead I try to carefully push down the edges of the clear glass so that the dichro near the edges also does not get exposed to the flame. I think I learned this in Leah Fairbank's class, I think I may also have learned similarly in Josh Mazet's class when dealing with boro dichro. My apologies to the teachers if I am misquoting The only other thing is you may find that overheating the dichro can burn some colors out. I don't use enough of it myself to have a really good feeling on it. but I hate having the edges scum out.

Tags
dichro, moretti