LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-11-24, 7:30am

Default Red Roof Tile (Effetre 440) help please!

Can anyone help me?! Please, please, please! I'm trying to make spacers with Red Roof Tile and NOT have the color change to terracotta. I need it to stay the same as the rod color BEFORE melting.

I made some spacers with Red Roof Tile and some turned out terracotta color and some turned like the rod color before melting, so I know it's possible.

I have tried to reproduce the rod color but with no luck. All I get is the terracotta. I've tried working the glass longer, I've tried an oxy flame, I've tried a reducing flame...I just don't know what I did that first time.

Does anyone know what kind of flame, or time in kiln, or alignment of the moon and stars I need to get it right? Any help would be greatly appreciated! thanks in advance, beata
Old 2010-11-24, 9:16am

Did you try striking the beads at the end, working cool, working really hot...? Just ideas for what to try.

Maria
Old 2010-11-24, 9:40am

Thanks for answering, Maria. Yes, I've tried those ideas, but I'm heading for the torch now and will try again. Maybe I haven't gone cool enough. Once more into the fray!
Old 2010-11-24, 9:59am
I speak Murrini!

Can you show us a photo of the spacers that you WANT this color to stay? Maybe a bit of a weird question, but I know that RRT has an "odd" version - it's more of a "Ginbergread" color in the rod and tends to stay that color when worked either hot or cool without hinting toward the Terracotta side.

It's a color I've coveted and far prefer when making my Gingerbread Boys and Gingerbread Murrini - and looks like this:

If this is what you're looking for/need, and you can't find it elsewhere or are stuck, shoot me a PM and I'll send you a couple rods so you can finish up your set.

Good luck hun!
De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2010-11-24, 10:26am

thanks De, I think that could be my problem. I'm not sure if I made this bead with the one (and only) rod I have or if I had a rod from an odd batch that I used before (sigh) here is a photo of what I'm looking to recreate. it's the little spacer bead on the right.
if you think it's the same as the odd you've got AND if you're willing to part with a couple of rods, I would really appreciate it
please tell me how to PM, I haven't done that before
Old 2010-11-24, 10:30am
Rose colored glasses…√

Do you have any ASK Caramel Apple? I think that's a close color match to the spacer you're trying to duplicate.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2010-11-24, 10:34am
I speak Murrini!

Okie...I think I can help!

To PM me: Go up to one of my posts and click on my name - theglasszone. You'll have to option to send me a PM there...I believe it's the second option that reads "Send a Private Message to theglasszone"; click on it. It will open up the PM box and you can contact me by PM there.

I'll be happy to send you a couple rods. Are you International? If so, I'd simply ask you help me a little with the postage...

Holler back!

Old 2010-11-24, 10:35am

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll check my stock, but I think I only had one sample bundle of ASK. Does anyone sell it anymore?
Old 2010-11-24, 11:06am
Lampworkaholic!

Reichenbach 104 Caramel would be another option close to that color.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2010-11-24, 11:55am

thanks for the suggestions erose! I'll try that one as well
Old 2010-11-25, 8:18pm

or whatever the Kugler version is of that ASK color... I know, not quite the same, but?

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2010-11-28, 3:46am

Sorry for hijack of thread, but...De I've said it before, and I say it again...........YOU ROCK! Not only are your murrini dumbfoundingly brilliant, your kindness to others is fantastic.

Old 2010-11-28, 12:02pm
I speak Murrini!

Aw, Tabitha...what a sweet thing to say! (smooch!) Now I'm hoping to hear from Beata that she's received what I sent a-ok and that they're actually gonna WORK FOR HER!

Old 2010-11-28, 4:16pm
Unmedicated since '62

i just love that little guys butt

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2010-11-28, 9:00pm

haha, me too.
Old 2010-11-28, 10:32pm
I speak Murrini!

Pfffttt...you'z guy'z are funny! And credit on this guy's cutie-patootie goes to Loco who taught me how to do such things when I watched her make an Alienphant once!