Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2011-10-30, 9:45am
Formerly NurseKatie :)

Default Photos like studio photos!

I found this on pinterest and tried it today and it worked beautifully!

At the bottom you can go to other tuts they have for different types of photos, they have one for jewelry.

http://www.handmadespark.com/blog/st...tography-blog/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-10-31, 8:07am

OMG do like minds think a like or what! I saw this on Pinterest just now and thought of all the peeps on LE that could benefit from this info. So simple and cheap. I can't wait to try it out later today!

If you're struggling with taking photos of your beads you need to check out the above link.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"People can be the wind beneath your wings or the anchor on your boat" John Maxwell
Old 2011-10-31, 9:53am

this is awesome!! Thank you!
Old 2011-11-01, 12:07am
Maker of Famous Burn Gel

really strange...I got it in an Etsy email!! Can't wait to try it...can't hurt!
Old 2011-11-02, 8:05am

Now this is just plain amazing! Can't wait to try it!

Old 2011-11-02, 12:35pm

I put it together yesterday and can't believe I didn't know this stuff before now. At Walmart I got the white core board and they also had a smaller trifold white one for kids school projects. That did the trick. So easy! Put parchment paper in the window. I also got a piece of black and will play with that also. But the trifold one works like a charm.
Old 2011-11-02, 12:56pm
Sheila Davis Designs

Cool! Can't wait to try it too.

Old 2011-11-04, 5:56pm
shirts

Post your pictures, folks! I am intrigued to see your successes!!
Old 2011-11-05, 5:36am
in my happy place

Looks like fun, I can't wait to try this, thank you!
Old 2011-11-09, 7:32am
Master Lurker

My computer at work won't let me look at this. When I get home I can't wait to see what this is about. Anything to help me with photos is great!

Old 2011-11-10, 5:58pm
Cherine Perrin Glass

Looks pretty cool!

My Etsy shop: https://
face="Verdana">Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/CherinePerrinLampwork/
Old 2011-11-12, 7:53am

Here is a set I photographed with this setup. All I had to do was lighten it up in PS.
Attached Images

Old 2011-11-12, 9:59am

You over lightened it, although, this is also a problem with using silver or aluminum reflectors, the light is a very cold (hard) light and has a tendency to wash out colors and depending on the subject, it's appeal. It works good for some subjects, like metal objects (or the bottle of water in the example shot), but for jewelry, usually you want the colors to pop out with nice soft warm lighting.

Try replacing the aluminum foil with white nylon and you will get much better lighting. The white nylon won't reflect as much light as aluminum will, but it will be a lot better light. You can also put a thin layer of white tissue paper or nylon cloth a few inches to a foot in front of the aluminum reflectors and soften the light also. Again, you will lose some of your light but it will still be better light than the aluminum foil by itself.

Mike
Old 2011-11-12, 12:57pm

Mike,
I didn't use alluminum foil, I used white board. I don't think I over lightened it because I was trying to get the beads to look like what they are. That is exactly how the beads look. They sold. Actually I'm very happy with the picture. Perhaps I did have a lot of white background and I take what you say the right way, so please don't think I'm being snippy. The beads are pale.

I found the setup didn't work for black beads with raku. The colors didn't pop. Probably the beads are the problem, not the setup, though.

Mike, do you have suggestions for using a black background? I guess I need to learn how to use my camera......
Old 2011-11-12, 2:26pm

If you are happy and you got what you were looking for, then it doesn't matter what I or anyone else thinks. Congratulations that they sold.

Blacks a bit harder, since it doesn't reflect light (except because it's glass you do get reflections). With black you might try going with more side lighting and less frontal lighting. Or really, edge lighting as it could come from any side. I have lighted from top and bottom (I used a piece of white cloth covered plexiglass to sit the objects on an lit from underneath). You will need to play with the angles a bit to keep from reflecting highlights right back into the camera. Black on black can be very striking if you light the beads without the light spilling over to the background. What you could try doing also is use a darkened room and angle your reflectors and lights so they just light up the beads and let the darkened room behind them be your dark background. If you can angle it all right, it can look pretty good.

Mike
Old 2011-11-13, 8:24am

Thanks for the ideas, Mike. I'll have to play with that as it's something I'd like to master.
Old 2011-11-27, 12:35pm

Default Low light area

Hi, I'm new.

This is great idea. I just started lampworking and had a very hard time taking pictures to post on facebook. But... I live in Seattle, land of the grey skies for 3/4 of the year. Any cheap ideas for replacing the window/sunshine? I'm thinking vellum in a picture frame without the backing and a lamp behind it maybe?

PLH,
Tacit aka Becca
Old 2011-11-27, 5:44pm

Becca, window screen kits make great frames for light diffusers. They clip together into a square, you lay a white translucent cloth (I used sport nylon but JoAnne's has a lot to choose from) across it and then push the rubber band into the grove around it and it tightens the cloth up nicely. When I made mine I didn't cut the aluminum channels down since I was doing bigger things than glass, but for smaller objects you can cut it down to make it smaller. Then just put one or more lamps behind it and it makes a nice larger light source (the larger the better). Here is picture of one I made and hung from a PVC frame I used to make a larger light panel of (the smaller screen panel was replaced with a full white nylon panel the same size as the black one).

A light inside a white plastic milk jug can also work as well as tracing paper or vellum. Tissue paper is also good. You just have to be careful of hot bulbs and paper so as not to catch anything on fire.

Mike
Old 2012-09-04, 4:59pm

I started a thread about my crap pictures but maybe I need to ask here...
I spent an afternoon gathering and making the setup from this thread
and was excited by the results others had but, mine SUCK! why do others look like they're bathed in angel light while mine LOOK like they're on crappy tin foil with tracing paper in the dirty window.

I got a slightly better one when I just extended the paper over the foil, but theres still no light, I want inner light dammit

I can still take better ones outside

In the other thread perfect deb pointed out I'm getting great shots of the background, not what i want, so how do you set your camera to make this work?