No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-01-31, 12:04am
Newb boro fanatic

Default Graphite paddle mashers?

I'm after a pair of simple mashers with 2x2" or so graphite paddles. Like item 'P-MASFW53' here http://www.crloo.com/Products/Hand_T..._tools_10.html. I emailed this shop but they're out of stock with no ETA... So has anyone seen something similar somewhere else, besides the more expensive 'true parallel' ones from ABR and Whale?

...though the 'true parallel' ones do look nice...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-01-31, 2:54pm
honorary bead lady

http://www.artcoinc.com/mashers.php
http://www.dichroicimagery.com/index.php?cPath=431_194
http://www.frantzartglass.com/index....cPath=52_53_57
Just glue some graphite to any of them
Old 2011-01-31, 8:33pm
Newb boro fanatic

Glue hey? Neat idea... What kind of glue would adhere to graphite?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-02-06, 1:02am
Newb boro fanatic

Well this is what I have so far... no glue used yet, as I have no idea what kind of glue to use. The screws just don't hold very well, if at all, due to them stripping the graphite holes.

I have E6000 but it says to not heat it up at all... And epoxy breaks down with heat too... And, well most other glues. I don't even know if they'd stick to the graphite in the first place! So any suggestions for a suitable glue?

Old 2011-02-06, 3:23am
Alaska Boro

Try these folks.

http://www.graphitestore.com/items_l...id/6/cat_id/29

"High temperature graphite based one-part adhesive paste offering extra-high adhesive strength for bonding and sealing graphite and carbon structures and molds in applications to 5400°F (reducing atmospheres)."
Old 2011-02-06, 3:29am
Newb boro fanatic

Wow that's some cool sounding stuff! Or 'hot' sounding stuff... But at that price I'd be better off buying one of the ABR or Whale parallel presses anyway lol (which I may do anyway even if I get my own pair working, they look fun!)

My Dad said oven/stove-top ceramic cement could be good though, so I'll be trying that hopefully tomorrow.

Old 2011-02-06, 6:14am
Now part of the Dark Side

Personally, I use the end of my marble mold and my torch mounted marver to mash stuff.
Old 2011-02-06, 6:21am
Newb boro fanatic

Yeah I'd normally do that too (that was an unexpected plus when I first got my 'regular' marble mold lol), but I need these for a more delicate and precise operation, in which the 'width' axis needs to be parallel at least

Old 2011-02-06, 8:00am

super glue will bond graphite to metal.
It's flash point is around 450 - 500 degrees.
Melting point is around 5 seconds in the torch flame (sigh, I don't know the temp. lol).

-Donna

Donna Felkner -
-
-
-
Old 2011-02-06, 8:06am
Newb boro fanatic

Oh thanks for that Donna. I'm surprised it holds up so well in the flame! I guess I might as well try super glue first then, worst thing that happens is the glue does fail, so I just try the ceramic one anyway...

Old 2011-02-06, 8:06am
Glass-aholic

any reason it needs to be graphite? steel or brass masher work well for me

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2011-02-06, 8:16am
Newb boro fanatic

It's to roll glass rods between the two pads, so the molten end of the rod gets squished down to the same round diameter as the cold rod. Steel is a bit too rough I find and tends to turn the glass 'frosty'...

Old 2011-02-06, 8:55am

metal is best for 'grabbing' glass, graphite is smother for a rolling action.

Donna Felkner -
-
-
-
Old 2011-02-06, 9:07am

What if you kept the metal mashers rubbed with beeswax, like furnace workers do?
Old 2011-02-06, 12:53pm
Surrounded by Trouble

Roy,
I have used wax on my tools once and only one tool, as it was highly suggested at the time to use it for this type of rolling brass tool that I bought.
I will say it did help this odd shaped tool a bit, so I thought that I would try it on some of my other brass and metal tools.
I too have enjoyed working in a friends hot shop and saw them use the wax so hey why not try it???

I spent months picking wax off my tools, smacking myself in the head for doing it, without further testing. It seemed like a good idea until I tried it on other tools like presses and mashers, etc.
The shapes and designs of the tools had a lot to do with how well the wax worked; rolling hot glass onto a tool is perfect for wax, but in an enclosed area, in my experience it failed.

Old 2011-02-06, 4:27pm
Glass-aholic

I also use wax on my tools. you only need the tiniest amount!

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2011-02-07, 7:08am

Thanks Shawn, very good explanation.