LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-01-03, 9:30pm

Default Copper Ruby Powder

Hi all - I found a vile of powder labeled Copper Ruby but cannot for the life of me remember why I bought it or how I'm supposed to use it.

I thought I was going to get a pretty blue when I tried using it on some dark ivory but only got poo, so I'm at a loss...

If anyone remembers how to use this stuff please let me know

Thanks for the help!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Handmade Murrini Chips, Glass Beads, & Lampwork Tutorials
Old 2014-01-03, 10:10pm
Glass-aholic

It reacts with ivory, and has a strong dk silvery reduction with little effort. To use on ivory you need something a bit larger frit(or pull into stringer) try another base color. Lightly reduce to a beautiful shine before popping in the kiln. Layer over silver foil or leaf to enhance the effect, or blend with other iris/gold colors. You can also use clear in conjunction like any other reduction glass. I've never used it smaller than frit, but used it often for a series of beads. Oh when I used it with ivory (sm frit, but powder should work) I layed clear stringer and applied the frit/powder to the stringer not the bead, I didn't fully melt it in to add texture, but this would help with your ivory reaction as well.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:

Last edited by jaci; 2014-01-03 at 10:16pm.
Old 2014-01-03, 10:15pm

Ah ha! I did not even think to try to reduce it - thanks Jaci, I'll give that a try

Old 2014-01-04, 3:37pm
It's all about the color.

You can use it to make peacock beads. Here's a thread on how to use it. Look for my entry and I linked back to where the tutorial is on Wet Canvas. Ah heck, I guess since I own one of her beads, I can bring over the picture of it.
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=128905

(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

Last edited by Listenup; 2014-01-04 at 3:41pm.
Old 2014-01-06, 2:55pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listenup View Post
You can use it to make peacock beads. Here's a thread on how to use it. Look for my entry and I linked back to where the tutorial is on Wet Canvas. Ah heck, I guess since I own one of her beads, I can bring over the picture of it.
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=128905

Thanks for the info Kay - I'll check it out