TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Old 2010-01-01, 10:16am
Cat Winx

Sandy.. let me know if you cannot find what you're looking for because, although out of the trade because I am disabled (whaaaaa f**kin whaaa) ..as my best friend would say I live in Seattle where we can gets almost any kinds of metals PLUS I am still pretty well connected when it comes to scrap and metal shavings (note to anyone else as well: just let me know and I can ask friends to save stainless, copper or brass when they're working it on a lathe)

Rachel the firekat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-01-02, 1:45pm

This is nice, I have to try it.
Sandra

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
face="Comic Sans MS">http://www.adornedintreasure.etsy.com
Old 2010-01-17, 10:36am
Forever P~P~P :0)

Thanks Rachael for the offer......!!

Sandy
No hurry ~ no worries ~ unless its hot & drippy..!

Hot Head & big BBQ tank of propane!

awesome banner by Knatty Dreadz!! WE MISS YOU!
Old 2010-01-17, 11:03am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Dawn View Post
The brass does not get soft when it hits the glass. How stiff it is before you put it on is how it feels going on. You have to be careful not to hit the flame with the brass or it will spark and burn off. I bought a thin brass sheet from Hobby Lobby (I have to look up the gauge) and did punch outs and it worked great. I also cut thin strips of brass from it and wrapped it around a 1/16th mandrel creating spirals and then layed that spiral down on the glass and encased it. I need to take pictures of my test bead because it does look cool.

Happy New Year Everyone!

Great minds think alike! I made spirals out of my brass sheet that I got at Hobby Lobby because it was so thick I had to think of something to do with it after my DH bought that huge roll for me.

Those beads sold fairly quickly and I've been dying to do more. They are just beautiful with brass spirals but tricky keeping the spirals from getting dark brown and from coming up through the bead.

Here is a pic if I can find it.
Attached Images

Old 2010-03-17, 12:08pm

Hey, do you know if you can use the brass frit or encase brass pieces in boro as well?

Check out my Etsy shop!

Old 2010-03-17, 1:42pm
Your Royal Fritness

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeadDesignsByCarol View Post
Great minds think alike! I made spirals out of my brass sheet that I got at Hobby Lobby because it was so thick I had to think of something to do with it after my DH bought that huge roll for me.

Those beads sold fairly quickly and I've been dying to do more. They are just beautiful with brass spirals but tricky keeping the spirals from getting dark brown and from coming up through the bead.

Here is a pic if I can find it.
Those are Beautiful! I'm not suprised they sold right away.

Dawn

Old 2010-03-17, 1:49pm
Your Royal Fritness

Quote:
Originally Posted by soul777toast View Post
Hey, do you know if you can use the brass frit or encase brass pieces in boro as well?
I've only worked with boro a few times so I would have to wait for a boro person to chime in here on this question.

My guess it might get too hot for the brass and it would bubble up to the surface.... but if you put a thick enough encasement on the brass and not work it to long in the heat you might be ok....

Dawn

Old 2010-03-18, 5:49am

Thank you, Dawn .

I'm curious about the brass in the boro, too.
Old 2010-04-22, 10:28pm
picking Job's Tears

Thank you Sandy for sending me to this thread. I have fused copper into pendants in a class but never used it in beads. I'll have to experiment with some of my home made copper jump rings (hardware store copper wire, so I know it's copper and not some weird stuff). - Need more torch time ... -

I know it's entirely possible to encase on a hothead, only I'm no good at it (not too surprising, given my extremely limited experience with it), but as you said to work the brass frit hot, Dawn, will a hothead be hot enough?

Dawn, thanks for the tutorial, and Sandy, thanks for sending me here. (And Rache, I might like some copper frit if you can get your hands on any before I get there or while I'm there)
-
-
-

Palms Etc. tropical seeds and cuttings:

HotHead on bulk propane and a Glasshive kiln
Old 2010-04-23, 9:25pm
Forever P~P~P :0)

Yeah, Maren.... you checked out this tut. Isn't it awesome.

BTW: If you check out Devardi's website, you'll find several different types of metal frit's that "may" work with this tut!! Have fun!! thanks Dawn for sharing.....!!!!

Sandy
No hurry ~ no worries ~ unless its hot & drippy..!

Hot Head & big BBQ tank of propane!

awesome banner by Knatty Dreadz!! WE MISS YOU!
Old 2010-04-25, 6:37am

I did finally get to try this and really like the effect.

Old 2010-04-25, 8:33am
Your Royal Fritness

Sonja those are Beautiful!

Old 2010-04-25, 2:33pm
I speak Murrini!

I think I'm ready to give this a try...I just need to find me some brass fritty! All the examples are just gorgeous!!!

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2010-04-25, 2:36pm
I speak Murrini!

Oh, does anyone know...how does this work with using Lauscha Soft Clear to encase? Any issues?

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2010-11-10, 3:32pm
Your Royal Fritness

I'm bumping this up because Cynthia has some brass frit for sale Here is the link to her post with some awesome eye candy! http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=179122

Mike and Debbie are taking some time off due to moving so they Do Not have any on there website right now.

De I have not heard of any problems with Lauscha Soft Clear. Sorry it took me 6 months to answer your question. I never saw it

Dawn

Old 2010-11-10, 3:52pm

I just found this post. Dawn, your beads are beautiful. I had no idea this thread was here. Great tutorial too. I guess it's good that I have the brass. When I saw the post title, I had a terrible sinking feeling I was going to be stepping on toes. So glad that is not the case.

Old 2010-11-10, 7:12pm
Your Royal Fritness

Thanks Cynthia, my toes are just fine Your beads are beautiful!

Old 2010-11-10, 10:17pm
Sarah Jane's grandma

What a great thread! I'm really excited to get my brass now! Thanks for all the tips.

Old 2010-11-10, 10:28pm
Formerly FishBulb

Excellent thread Dawn! Thank you so much for posting tips.

I should also mention that I'm in Canada and I do own a number of Mike's Brass For Glass presses -- I get them at my local glass place. I don't know if this means they only ship to distributors or if they ship to any ol' body here in Canada, but it does seem they ship here one way or another!

I'll have to give this a try. I have a strip of brass that Brimmy gave me when she was here in the summer and I haven't been sure what to do with it exactly.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2010-11-11, 5:48am
Your Royal Fritness

Angie they ship anywhere It's just that they just moved and Mike has to set back up shop. Mike told me this past week he has one machine set to go, but he also has a full time "real" job that keeps him really busy too.

I've cut thin strips of brass and wrapped them around a 1/16th mandrel and then put those into beads. They look like party beads with streamers in them. You can even use brass wire and make hearts or anything else you want to make and put them in a bead So much to do so little time to melt glass, lol.

Old 2010-11-11, 6:50am
http://youtu.be/nGt9jAkWi

This is cool & I love Dawn's bead with the chain. I'm thinking some brass ball chain would look pretty neat in a bead.

Vivian

-

Old 2010-11-12, 11:08am
Your Royal Fritness

Vivian I would love to see some brass ball chain in a bead.... hmmm...I have some brass 1 & 2mm balls... I'll try using them this week to see how they hold up.

Old 2010-11-12, 11:25am

Boro.... Anyone had any luck?
Old 2010-11-12, 12:37pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

I am SO looking forward to seeing what you all make with your brass frit after it arrives!
Old 2011-02-13, 11:14am

I just made about 20 beads with brass filings and about 40% of them cracked big time. I went through this entire thread and I don't feel that I used any more or less than what was shown.... I batch anneal so immediately following making the bead, I plunge it into a crockpot, set on high, full of tiny glass bubbles... Some of the ones that cracked were encased in clear, some in pale aqua, some in pale rose..... Morretti glass. Size was not necessarily a factor either as they were of varying sizes... Any thoughts? The ones that turned out good are absolutely beautiful!
Old 2011-02-13, 11:56am
Your Royal Fritness

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindacw View Post
I just made about 20 beads with brass filings and about 40% of them cracked big time. I went through this entire thread and I don't feel that I used any more or less than what was shown.... I batch anneal so immediately following making the bead, I plunge it into a crockpot, set on high, full of tiny glass bubbles... Some of the ones that cracked were encased in clear, some in pale aqua, some in pale rose..... Morretti glass. Size was not necessarily a factor either as they were of varying sizes... Any thoughts? The ones that turned out good are absolutely beautiful!
I am pretty sure it is because you are batch annealing them. These need to go straight into the kiln because the bubbles create a lot of stress in the glass and they are cooling to quickly. Try going direct into the 960 degree kiln next time to see if that fixes it. I would love to see the ones that turned out

Old 2011-02-13, 4:30pm
put a bird on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangell View Post
Boro.... Anyone had any luck?
You read my mind!
Old 2011-02-20, 9:44am
Bead Artist

My oxy guy is also a machinist and gave me a BUNCH of brass shavings but I tried it and I am not getting any bubbles. I encased and heated the bajeezies out of it. Is it the Lauscha?? I thought maybe it's not the same stuff so I ordered a bag from devardi I'm gonna try this week. Anyone using the brass with boric acid technique?? Anyway here is one of my beads with the stuff from my oxy guy. It looks like copper inside the bead...I like the effect and will use it I am sure but I would like to make bubbles too. Thoughts??

Old 2011-02-20, 2:05pm
Your Royal Fritness

Hi Tammie,

What size shavings are you using? Go to post number 28 and compare the size with what I am using. I am seeing some bubbles in your beautiful bead so I think you might be vaporizing the smaller pieces of frit? Your shavings seem to be pretty big/thick and it might take a lot more heat to create the bubbles. I have encased these with different clears and have had the same results so I don't think it is your glass. Let me know what happens when your new frit arrives.

Old 2011-02-20, 3:34pm
Bead Artist

Hi Dawn,
I looked at your pics of the shavings and I don't know if what I used is much bigger, but....not sure. What I just got in the mail is more powdery looking smaller stuff. I'll play with it and let you know. Thanks so much.