Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-05-03, 7:37pm
Wonderland sounds fun...

Default How to develop your own "style"? A rant, A discussion...

After years of lampworking on and off, I continually have that question in the back on my head. How do I develop my own style of bead? Some beadmakers out there have their signature style or type of bead. They are awesome at it. Don't know how it came about in their beadmaking endeavors but one day they came came across a style they were good and kept at it. Me, well, I've been beadmaking on and off for 7 years with the last year spending the most time at the torch. I've grown up and got a big girl torch and a kiln. Next, is an indoor studio which will be coming later this year. I can make all kinds of beads good or okay, depending on the style and I truly like bright, fun and funky styles. But when will I ever get to that day when "my style" has emmerged? I mean, is it something that is stumbled upon? To me, I'm always unhappy with how they turn out, no matter how cool or pretty they might be. Its the perfectionist in me I think. Don't get me wrong, I really like a lot of my beads but, I dunno, sometimes its just that, well, I've seen them before. Dots.. layered dots... encased.. not encased.. florals... cupcakes... hearts.. buttons... cones..striped.. swirled... la de dah de dah... I'm hoping that one day, I get that creative orgasm at the torch and THATS IT! THATS ME!! But, hence, its not now and it the regular ol beads continue. What do YOU think about developing style? The glass bead artists journey? Add what you wish here

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

*+.+*
C L E A R A N C E Sale in my Etsy *+.+*
Old 2010-05-03, 7:47pm
Hobby Junkie

I don't have a particular style either. I think it's because I dabble in alot of different techniques and hate making beads that are even vaguely similar. Which is why I've never made a "set" bigger than 3 beads, by the way! I'm ok with not having a "style". I've always been a bit eclectic with my style in every other area of my life. It just follows suit!

Old 2010-05-03, 7:51pm
Wonderland sounds fun...

I find that I don't do well with sets either. I want to do it all. I get board with sets. I have found I like Big honker discs, focals and buttons. I do want to develop my signature type of bead one day. I'm dreaming of that day. I think it will be better when I get my indoor studio and I can spend more time at the torch. It gets so hot in the garage, I can't stay out there long and its just not comfortable. Maybe this year will be my big year.

*+.+*
Old 2010-05-03, 8:04pm
Elphaba Lives !!

I love the organic look. When one of my beads turns out looking like something straight from nature, I'm thilled. I aim to make beads that I like. My desire is to make beads that I struggle with giving up. And I let the glass take me where it wants to go. I may start out in one direction, but if the glass decides otherwise, then fine. Sometimes, with the exception of choosing a handful of colors to work with, I don't even have an idea where I'm going to go with a bead. Again, I just let the glass decide. It seems that over the last couple of years, the glass has decided on a small handful of styles for me.

But then, that's just what works for me.

Old 2010-05-03, 8:24pm
Formerly Icarus Beads :)

I don't think I'll ever develop a signature bead because I have a very short attention span. I can make large sets, but then I'm so bored of it that I don't want to do a remake anymore even months later. More often than not I opt out of a custom request because I just can't face the idea of doing the same beads again (even though I enjoyed very much doing them the first time around).

While I do admire all those amazing artists that do have a signature bead or signature style, I just can't imagine doing months and months only the same bead style, just with slight variations.

Having said that, I am currently in a creative funk and stick pretty much to the basics. But I hope that I'm soon get bored of that and that's hopefully when the creative juices start flowing again and I'm able to make again 3 very different styles in one torch session.

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2010-05-03, 8:24pm
Wonderland sounds fun...

You know the one thing I've noticed... everyone says practice practice practice, blah blah blah. Its so not just that. I mean, yes, when it comes to learning the glass because there are so many colors and types of glass that achieve different effects. I've practiced on and off, trial and error, sucking the whole way and this year I've had a lot of AHA moments. Most of them were because I learned a certain technique (finally) and other techniques played off of that one. And the reason I wasn't getting it was usually one TEENY thing I was doing wrong that made a HUGE difference. With the great year I've had, I can almost feel that moment soon when I finally achieve my own style. It may not be right away. But one thing I know for sure, it won't be 7 years from now.

*+.+*
Old 2010-05-03, 9:08pm
Hobby Junkie

I'm with Judith about not wanting a signature bead! My personal version of hell would be to make the same type of bead over and over again. I admire the folks who do it. It's just not for me.

Old 2010-05-03, 9:22pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Learn as many techniques from as many talented beadmakers
you can. Read every thing you can get your hands on. Rent videos.
Watch youtube. THEN you will develop YOUR signature style.
When you know everything, THEN you can forget it and just create.

You don't learn to be a great plastic surgeon by just operating on
people. You work UNDER people and learn from them. Writers take
writing courses, and practice writing in the styles of the great authors.
Dancers learn several different styles before adapting what they know
into a dance.

LEARN, LEARN, LEARN. And then learn some more. When you see great
artists who say that they were entirely "self-taught", that's just not true.
Not unless they've been in a concrete basement for the last 30 years.
Everything they see, everything they do - it all has an effect on their work.

You LEARN by copying, then you take what you have LEARNED and
combine the knowledge, and change it up to make it your own.

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2010-05-03, 10:41pm
I speak Murrini!

KarenBeth...again, a very interesting topic you've opened for discussion! Even if it's not about making beads, girl - I like you style!

I long for the day my personal "signature" emerges. Because we are in the same river - different boats - I'm afraid I can't offer much consolation nor guidance.

If there IS indeed a miracle formula to help develop one's own personal signature style, I sure hope they share it! (Was that an oxymoron?)

Keep on keeping on...
De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2010-05-03, 10:46pm

Ummm ... I've been torching about the same time as you also on and off, and I haven't found my "voice" in beads either. It's unusual for me ... I used to have a voice in metalwork, in fabric design and in clothing (fashion), but in beads not yet.

So I've decided to not let it bother me. I'm not sure that I believe in "signature" beads anyway. I've seen a lot of artists mark a particular bead as a signature bead and then in a couple of years they're making something else! Who wants to be stuck doing one type of bead forever???? I can't blame them for moving along ... but I have to wonder why they marked that style/technique/bead as their own anyway.

I've made sculptural florals and organics, stringer work, and encased, and decided to let the muse take me where it will. Maybe in the end someone will look back on my work and see a theme...but I don't think it's for me to say what that is right now. In the mean time I've decided to enjoy the creative journey - be it beads, or metal or enameling (my current place) ... and just to accept my different styles of things as a fashion comment ... not a signature look (or statement).

Sadie

Old 2010-05-04, 12:09am
Harold Williams Cooney

time = distance = perspective = perception = self knowledge = style

American Trade Bead Food Program; Necklace auctions
, entertainment that improves Colorado.
Old 2010-05-04, 3:48am
thecoralcat

Location: Upstate South Carolina about 20 minutes south of Asheville, NC

Eclectic IS a style!!!! Someone who is a great example of this (and I hope she doesn't mind me using her name) is Cynthia Tilker of Glassactcc. She rarely does the same thing twice, but her inimitable style and incredible art is instantly recognizable as hers. De, I have to disagree with you = you already have a style that is yours. And Harold's work......well, you're talking Stratosphere there........! I don't think I want to develop a particular style as I am a hobbiest and just enjoy stretching the limits of my personal skill level - with often hilarious results. After all, I am the Ancient Creator of Unique Disasters in Glass!!!

The Victorian Style Floral available now!

NEW TUTORIAL!
Joan - Ancient Creator of Unique Disasters in glass!

Last edited by j2canoe; 2010-05-04 at 3:57am.
Old 2010-05-04, 4:32am

I don't think I want to be totally "known" for just one certain signature bead. I mean, think about it. What if I were do do something else other than that bead... would my work then be dismissed.... "oh, that's not what she does best!"

It's enough for me that what I do, I do well. I've taken a Tink class and learned how to blow vessels.... and what LYN (Lunamoonshadow!!!) has managed to do is give me the reputation of "blowing farm animals!" (Lyn- you know you did!) OK, teasing Lyn. She's a very good friend... but still, I know how to do that now and I'm thrilled with the knowledge even though I haven't blown a vessel in a while.

I've taken Trey's class- twice! I love making long beads. Absolutely love them.

I've taken John Kobuki's class-- and I'm on the roster for his next one in Maine! I love making marbles.

I love making sets but my etsy isn't really selling many of them but I still have this insatiable need to know I can do a bead again. I think it's because I consider it a skill to be able to do the same thing twice as it means (to me) that the first time I did it was not an accident!

So, signature bead? Not so much.... although I have to admit I would like to be known for my beach beads. sigh... so much glass to conquer and so little time to do it!

Off to start my day. Keep this discussion going. All the points are interesting.

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2010-05-04, 4:48am

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Hardy View Post
Learn as many techniques from as many talented beadmakers you can. Read every thing you can get your hands on. Rent videos. Watch youtube. THEN you will develop YOUR signature style.
When you know everything, THEN you can forget it and just create.

You LEARN by copying, then you take what you have LEARNED and
combine the knowledge, and change it up to make it your own.

This is exactly why I love lampworking. I have so many to learn and practice. I am not certain I will have a signature bead.
Maybe in 10 years of practicing with my 0 to 5 hours by week ...

Lise

Glass beadmaking since 2006.

Last edited by maroli; 2010-05-04 at 4:50am.
Old 2010-05-04, 4:50am
Mary Lockwood

I don't like the term signature bead. I don't feel it. I've been told that the jellyfish beads are my signature bead...but darn it they don't DEFINE me. When I make a bead that defines who I am- that will be my signature bead and do you know when that will happen? Never. LOL

As far as personal style goes--it is more about WHO you ARE than what you make.

Your personal leanings. Your perceptions. Your likes and disklikes.

For the longest time I thought that silvered ivory looked like splats of bird poop. Not having any silvered ivory in my beads at a time when everybody seemed to be using it was a small part of my personal style.

I don't like using presses. That is part of my personal style.

I love nature. Part of my personal style.

I have a deep seated need to be free. Part of my personal style.

The fact that I make bird beads and deep ocean creatures and mossy logs with frogs and snails on them is evidence of what I like, what I need, what I feel---who I am.

You make beads that give you what you need and you will have your own personal style because people don't need the same things. You bring something different to the party every time you sit at your torch. Just let it come out.

It has nothing to do with your abilities. It's about your expression. The abilities are just tools to help you express yourself better. The more you know--the better you can express yourself. Learn as much as you can and practice as hard as you can because when your skills become second nature you won't have to think about them; you will be able to concentrate on what you want to say instead of how to say it.

~~Mary

I was just thinking about what a signature bead from me would look like. It is kinda funny. If I took only elements of what I already make, it would be a bird in flight, with an encased floral as its body, carrying a twig with a frog on it and in a water droplet dangling from the twig would be a tiny jellyfish. Now THAT is probably something nobody else has ever made in that exact manner before. I have no interest in making it. LOL

Last edited by Moth; 2010-05-04 at 4:58am.
Old 2010-05-04, 5:22am
Run Free Sweet Boy

I was just thinking about what a signature bead from me would look like. It is kinda funny. If I took only elements of what I already make, it would be a bird in flight, with an encased floral as its body, carrying a twig with a frog on it and in a water droplet dangling from the twig would be a tiny jellyfish. Now THAT is probably something nobody else has ever made in that exact manner before. I have no interest in making it. LOL[/quote]

It would be One big honking bead.. thats for sure

Candice

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."
Old 2010-05-04, 5:29am
Run Free Sweet Boy

funny this subject should come up.. I dont have a style of my own in beads yet, other areas of glass, yes, but not beads. But I was sitting on the porch last night and I had an aha moment. I have an idea for something I want to try, havent seen yet, and dont know for sure if the idea will work out or not. But I am gonna give it a whirl or two. Will it become a signature bead for me, who knows, will I ever get known for it.. probably not. I just cant and dont work enough hours at the torch anymore to get on that treadmill. I cant produce enough, and really dont want to. But I am loving this little idea nagging me in the back of my mind. That intrigues me...

Candice

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."
Old 2010-05-04, 5:31am
old fart

IMHO, quit making what you are making and make something completely different. work off mandrel, or larger, different shapes. mix things up. this will help you to figure out what your style is.

Old 2010-05-04, 5:53am
ManBearPig

This is the best piece of advice I was ever given. Given by my 12th grade art teacher -

"To develop your own style, you must first try every style available to you".

I have tried to do that in glass. I have tried everything from soft glass beads to borosilicate sculpture to marbles out of lead glass. Some things I really liked. Some things I didn't. Some that I thought I would hate I loved, and some that I thought I would love I hated.

From that kind of experimentation, I think I have sort of developed my own style.

Old 2010-05-04, 5:57am
Formerly FishBulb

I think this is something you see in all art disciplines, some artists tend to be known for a particular subject matter and some artists are known for their style yet they have varying subject matter. People like Robert Bateman come to mind; he paints wildlife, period. Yet there are other artists who paint a number of different subjects but still in their own style.

This is probably the way with glasswork as well, where you can make a bunch of different things but eventually be known for your "look". Joan's example of Cynthia Tilker is perfect.

And how to get there? I imagine you just keep on keepin' on. Just enjoy the journey and if a personal style emerges, then it does.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2010-05-04, 5:58am
Life is change. Love it

I don't have a signature bead. I like to mix it up, make different styles. Frankly, I think that is why I continue to sell on ebay. If I was making the same style all the time I would soon lose my customers.

Old 2010-05-04, 6:30am
He can do the origami

My humble yet rude and offensive opinion......

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenBeth View Post
.....I do want to develop my signature type of bead one day. I'm dreaming of that day......
I do totally understand your perspective on this and it is important to set goals. However if you notice a lot of the replies in here from people that whether they like it or not are known for "signature styles".... they didn't set out for that and don't necessarily try for a "signature bead".

There are a few simple reasons you see their "signature". They don't worry about this technique or that technique.... they simply sit at the torch and create. They have gone through a mountain of glass along the way and what eventually comes out is their signature, specifically because they are not chasing techniques or styles.

This relates to HWC's post directly when he said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HWCGlass View Post
time = distance = perspective = perception = self knowledge = style
Probably the single most important aspect of this discussion... self knowledge. You get that by sitting at the torch, discarding everything you are trying to do and attack it from a different perspective all together. Do something you are not interested in, do something you know you can't do. I tell people this and I am sure it is misunderstood. Try something in glass you are pretty sure you will fail at. Why? Because you will have no expectations. It will stretch you and you will have no expectations and then suddenly you will find the "YOU" in what you are doing and not an endless cycle of conquering techniques.

Learning techniques is important... but you have already proven to yourself you can do that. You have already gained a substantial body of knowledge.

I think that is what Laserglass was alluding to when he said to go bigger or do off mandrel work etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by laserglass View Post
IMHO, quit making what you are making and make something completely different. work off mandrel, or larger, different shapes. mix things up. this will help you to figure out what your style is.
In the end... in my humble opinion... it is about practice... but both technique AND process.... and we often really don't pay enough attention to the process because we are trying to achieve technique. That is why you have those aha moments and it is usually something so tiny that made a difference... we all do that... but for me...if I am in the process more than the technique... the learning curve is shorter...usually.

Being in the process is where you will find a lot of your own voice and a lot of self knowledge. If you want your own signature style... YOU have to sign it.... but in order to do that.... you need to learn your own artistic name.

Otter
Old 2010-05-04, 6:44am
Ellyloo-YAH!

I strongly suspect that a lot of the 'signature bead' styles evolve out of something that the artist did once that was REALLY popular... and they kept doing it, because that's what worked. Along the way it gets changed, tweaked, etc.
I'm finding this to be true in my life... I would LIKE a signature piece to be one thing, but what is really popular is something totally different, so I'm spending all my time working on those. I'm realizing how I can do things better, quicker, etc... eventually they may look totally different. In the mean time, the skills i'm learning with that will work well on this other thing... and in the back ground, something else may be brewing. When no one wants my one thing anymore, the other will be pretty developed.

Also, you'd never know it's their bead unless you saw it everywhere. There may be other people who do cute little pirate skulls, but I only know 'Boobiebeads', and I that's why I assumed last tuesday that a skull I saw around someone's neck was hers. (it wasn't.) She is very diligent in showing her work off.

So far, for me, i think my presentation is my style. I have no one thing that screams 'ellyloo', except perhaps my photography of whatever I make.

Old 2010-05-04, 6:45am
Wonderland sounds fun...

Some of us are talking about 2 different things. A signature bead and a signature style is a bit different. I don't want a signature bead either. Like it was mentioned before, that limits yourself. But your signature style can be developed from that bead that you came up with that you loved so much.

Karen, that couldn't have been put better. You nailed it.
De, thank you, and you already have your style emmerging! It usually has murrini involved
Mary, you definitely have your own style, weather you like it or not! And your right, it usually involves nature. I can look at your beads and know it was you who made them.
Mark, YES! I plan to, in the very near future. And I totally can't wait! I love mixing it up. I want to make bigger and incorporate it into silver at some point. I learned what I don't like making is smaller beads and bead sets. That is just boring to me and I can't stay focused. (maybe a little ADHD going on there)
Cosmo, I agree and I think that how is I came as far as I did this year. I've been trying everything! And then building from that.
Fishbulb ( I like saying that, rather than Angie).. so Fishbulb, all I have to say is BINGO! I guess you can say, I'm a developing artist. I'm just not there yet. I will be. I want to be. No need to rush though, I am enjoying the journey.

*+.+*
Old 2010-05-04, 6:51am
Ellyloo-YAH!

Ahh... I see.

Old 2010-05-04, 6:55am
Wonderland sounds fun...

Otter, LOL! How do you find anything rude OR offensive in what you said?? Did I miss something? I can't say that I'm setting out to do something, I know it will happen in time. When I dream, I create. When I dream, it comes true. Thats the great things about dreams, they can be reality. Everything you said is true, sit at the torch and watch it happen. I know for me, usually my first bead at the torch is one I said, OK, I want to try THIS and see if it happens. Then I learn something new and want to try something totally different and then at the end of my torch sessions I end up with beads I wasn't expecting and is nothing like what I set out there to do. It just happens. All I know is I'm loving it. Loving every second of the new things that come out of that fire and glass. I started this discussion because a lot of people wonder, how did they do that? and, well, I just love a good artsy discussion.

*+.+*
Old 2010-05-04, 8:43am
I speak Murrini!

= To everything that has been said so far - and to KarenBeth for starting this thread!

Interesting...the more I think about it (as Joan and KB sort of pointed out above), maybe I DO already have a personal, "signature" style developing! I can say for sure that my glass PASSION is making Murrini! And I'm quite in agreement with those who have said that repetition seems to be two fold; on one hand, it can quickly become boring and annoying to do repetitive, almost "production" work. On the other hand, for me at least, it seems inevitable that with that repetition comes development and evolution - whether it be the speed at which the end result bead is accomplished or some tweaking, changes in design and a different result along the way.

I've been told that my eclectic-themed sets are something of a signature style as well. These have developed from the making of a basic murrini, and a desire to create a "themed" set - with a variety of different beads that don't all look alike yet compliment one another in relationship to the murrini design itself - which seems to result in a frenzy of variety!

Hum...sheesh, maybe I'm closer than I realized!

Hugs, everyone...my journey continues...
De

Old 2010-05-04, 8:50am
Wonderland sounds fun...

One thing I'd also like to mention is that although it seems boring to others about the repitition of the same bead style over and over, if the artist absolutely loves it, how can it be boring? Take for instance my recent bouts at the torch and my cupcake session. Yes, I said cupcakes. I was THRILLED I could do them and they came out so darn cute I had to keep making them, in lots of different colors and styles and I just had so much fun. Next are doughnuts, candy, and hmmmm... maybe saki?

*+.+*

Last edited by KarenBeth; 2010-05-04 at 8:51am. Reason: typo, as always
Old 2010-05-04, 10:15am
I speak Murrini!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenBeth View Post
...Yes, I said cupcakes. I was THRILLED I could do them and they came out so darn cute I had to keep making them, in lots of different colors and styles and I just had so much fun. Next are doughnuts, candy, and hmmmm... maybe saki?
Yes, I remember the cupcakes...and they were amazingly cute!

Now where are the doughnuts? Yummmm....I love doughies! And a Sake Set? How cute would THAT be?

Old 2010-05-04, 11:18am
Hobby Junkie

I love being able to look a bead and tell who who the artist is as a person (just by looking at their work). I'm just not ready to develop this in my own work yet.

I think that my lack of desire to develop my own signature style comes from my intent when it comes to glass. I was born with an insatiable need to learn. My hobbies are usually what feeds this. There have been so many hobbies that I have learned, mastered, and then grew immediately bored with. I can make some amazingly beautiful things, but I HATE making them (baskets, musical instruments, many types of jewelry, the list goes on and on). I have tons of supplies and tools that I haven't touched in years.

Glass is different. Glass is as vast as the ocean and I know that I will never be able to master every technique there is. People are constantly discovering new ways to move it, color it, to shape it. I LOVE learning new techniques... to see if I can do it... to figure it out... to see exactly what I am capable of. This is why I torch. The end product is really of little value to me. I give almost all of my beads and sculptures away to people who will value them. I sell some too (because it helps pay for more glass!!!) I AM focused on technique, because that is what enthralls me. Otter is right. I will never find myself in this space. And I do have times that I just sit down at the torch with only the intent to play and create... but soon the idea buzzing around in my head about a technique I want to practice usually takes over and next thing you know, I am drawing lines around all of my beads because I just read JC's tutorials on Stringer Control. For now, the "technique" is winning the war over the "personal style development" and I am 100% ok with that!