Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2011-01-16, 2:45pm

Default Too much oxygen??

Wow! I just torched through a 150CF oxygen tank and my propane tank is still nearly full! Is that right? The bummer is the gas place doesn't open 'til Tuesday.
Old 2011-01-16, 2:50pm
Cat herder

Sounds about right.

No fancy signature yet.
Old 2011-01-16, 4:30pm
Surrounded by Trouble

yup

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-01-16, 5:40pm
Marbles, dude, Marbles

Yup, too. I have 2 oxy tanks. As soon as one emptys I take it in to swap for a full tank. That way, whenever I feel like firing up my torch, I can! My 20 lb propane tank probably lasts through 10-20 of the large [K tanks?] oxygen tanks (funny the things we never bother to keep track of but always wonder about).

Old 2011-01-16, 8:29pm

Thanks for the responses! I had no idea I'd go through so much oxygen. The tanks are pretty expensive and I'm saving for a kiln so I guess I'll have to wait for the gas shop to open on Tuesday.
Old 2011-01-16, 9:09pm
Surrounded by Trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by mignonette View Post
Thanks for the responses! I had no idea I'd go through so much oxygen. The tanks are pretty expensive and I'm saving for a kiln so I guess I'll have to wait for the gas shop to open on Tuesday.
What kind of torch are you using?

Old 2011-01-16, 9:20pm
He can do the origami

O2 IS expensive and you WILL use tons of it... it is the bane of glass workers!! lol.... but don't feel tempted to run your torch starved of O2 to try and save money. i totally understand the temptation and have dome it myself. I know they are expensive but if you do have the money, a couple of high capacity Oxycons will save you money in the long run. I am using tanked O2, I do have an M-15 oxycon but it needs major service. Even after getting it serviced I will still most likely use tanked O2... I am just too used to it and it works.

Your torch and a lot of the glass will not be happy being starved of O2.
Old 2011-01-16, 9:27pm
Surrounded by Trouble

Otter knew I was going to suggest a couple of high powered oxy-cons.

Old 2011-01-16, 10:05pm
He can do the origami

I learned from the best Shawn.
Old 2011-01-17, 7:10am
Hobby Junkie

This is the reason I bought an oxycon! I hated having to "budget" my torch time because of the oxygen. Oxy is high to fill here (about $70 after all of the fees and such).
I love my oxycon! I can't wait to get another so I can get a bigger torch!

Old 2011-01-17, 8:58am
Bliss Junkie

$70 a fill?!?!?! i'd shop around... i had two different places i went, but when one went to to $25 a fill, i dumped them... i pay just under $19 a fill

Karma, it's everywhere your going to be...

GTT Cricket and Carlisle CC w/ a lot of tanked oxygen
Old 2011-01-17, 8:59am

What torch do you use Cory? I run a lynx on two 5 L oxycons. I put the torch on tanked oxygen and blew through 50.00 dollars worth in one afternoon. It ran allot hotter but I just couldn't justify the extra expense. I did a bunch of research on the new torch from GTT scorpion it is made to run on oxycons, but I think because I want to do large marbles 2 inch and bigger, as well as learn to make wine glasses I think I may have to go bigger than the scorpion.
Old 2011-01-17, 11:58am
Curmudgeon Engineering

I have seen, on the forums, oxy prices that vary from $14.00 per 'K' tank, 250 cuft, to better than $100 per tank. In this area if you just walk in off the street it will cost you about $40. If you set up an account as I did at AirGas it will cost you $19. Even if they tell you you do not use enough to have an account simply get a group together and make an account. Exagerate your useage as they will never check once the account is set up. There was a "Lampworkers' account in this area for several years that I used until about 2 years ago they made everyone get their own account. With a business license, which I don't have, it is even easier and might even be cheaper per tank.

PJH
Old 2011-01-17, 2:44pm
Serenity Now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlbacher View Post
$70 a fill?!?!?! i'd shop around... i had two different places i went, but when one went to to $25 a fill, i dumped them... i pay just under $19 a fill
WoW~! Earl - can I come torch at your place?! Around here, it's $76 each fill - what a HUGE difference! I panic at the thought of ever having an empty oxy tank, so I always have a back-up.

Art, Colour, Bling & Happy happening here:
Old 2011-01-17, 3:07pm

Wow! Great info everyone, thank you so much! I use a mega minor. I pay $40 for the refill and we have an account . . . my bf welds and actually has a commercial account, so $40 seems high now! I promise not to starve my torch. I'll have to figure out how to get the refills myself (can I lift that thing??) I don't like to have to depend on my wonderful bf for my O2. I'm an independent girl . . .
Old 2011-01-17, 3:48pm

I run my lynx on two m15 oxycons and love it. I figure they paid for themselves about a year ago by saving on tank refills. Even though its was only costing me $18 a fill, that adds up over the long run. I was burning a tank a week so almost $80 bucks a month. Doesn't take long to pay for a $600 oxycon.
Old 2011-01-17, 8:01pm

Is that all its cost for m15 oxycon (600.00 each). How is this for running the lynx on them. How big do you do your marbles on average and how long to melt them out.
Old 2011-01-20, 2:13pm

I find that I use 3 k tanks for every propane tank I use.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2011-01-20, 4:43pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by deb tarry View Post
Is that all its cost for m15 oxycon (600.00 each). How is this for running the lynx on them. How big do you do your marbles on average and how long to melt them out.
600 plus shipping, abr has scratch n dents for less..

These two machines power the lynx very well imho although I have never ran the lynx on tanked oxy so as they say "ignorance is bliss". Anyway I recently made a 2" marble which took me a little under two hours to make. I usally make pendants, small sculptures and marbles so this setup has plenty of heat for me. Most of my marbles are 1" to 1 1/2". Depending on the design my marbles take anywhere from 15 min to an hour to make.
Old 2011-01-20, 5:44pm

Thanks

Old 2011-01-20, 6:23pm
Borovangelist

my oxy prices went up recently so after taxes and EPA charges I wind up paying about 53 per K tank.

But my 100# LP tank lasts me about 7-8 months.

|
|
Old 2011-01-25, 6:28am
Pyromaniac

fifty...

three...

dollars?

that's RAPE! I pay NINE. NINE DOLLARS.

The way I torch $1500.00 worth of oxycons would pay for themselves in a matter of months and I'm not even in production mode ...maybe you should think about that or just find a better supplier. Springfield, Boston, Providence, Hartford - there's gotta be somewhere - and if you had a couple'r three tanks it'd be worth the drive (not that you wouldn't drive for one tank just to spite those gouging sunsabitches)

In my area others are paying up to twenty, although I visited the same supplier & beat them down to $15.00, and with some time I could probably get them down more too...and I hope you're not paying more than $80.00 or so to fill that propane bottle.

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2011-01-25, 7:14am
Newb boro fanatic

......my o2 is 117 bucks a refill. *cries*

And oxy cons start at 1k for a new 5lpm... and don't seem to be available otherwise!

Old 2011-01-25, 9:27am

Someone mentioned a K tank - how big is that?

Old 2011-01-25, 10:27am
Pyromaniac

$117 GOOD LORD... and Aussie dollars are pretty much the same as USA'ian dollars these days and that's a lot of money. Canberra isn't exactly out in the bush - there has to be SOME competition!

And a K tank is officially 250 cu foot, but typically filled to more like 220.

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2011-01-25, 2:15pm
boro color bender

Mine has gone up and down over the years... right now, i pay $10... you guys need better negotiation skills or a better location for your house...

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2011-01-25, 2:21pm
Formerly Bakerman44

i pay about $18 per fill on 250/cu.ft. tank and rent 3 tanks by a daily rate of $0.29 a day for each...so like $30 a month for rental and oxygen cost..about 150-250 bucks depending on how much time i get.

and to answer the original post. I've noticed about 6-8 k tanks to my bbq size (20lb) or 5 gallon..im not sure how to specify the size..but it's most common size for bbq tanks. i already owned 3 of those propane tanks so i always have an extra or two hanging out. i just do the swap outs like in front of lowes or a gas station.

Old 2011-01-25, 5:08pm
needs creative tagline

I've got a lynx run off an OG15 with a holding tank and I can do goblets. Granted, I used to have access to a lynx on liquid O2 and that was hotter (what I REALLY loved was the mirage on liquid O2...). But you can still do pretty decent stuff on the lynx with decent oxycon and/or holding tank. I can't speak to marbles as I haven't done anything larger than an inch or so. I don't know how others feel, but I personally would consider a scorpion a step down from my lynx.

laura

Quote:
Originally Posted by deb tarry View Post
What torch do you use Cory? I run a lynx on two 5 L oxycons. I put the torch on tanked oxygen and blew through 50.00 dollars worth in one afternoon. It ran allot hotter but I just couldn't justify the extra expense. I did a bunch of research on the new torch from GTT scorpion it is made to run on oxycons, but I think because I want to do large marbles 2 inch and bigger, as well as learn to make wine glasses I think I may have to go bigger than the scorpion.

Facebook -

Lynx with OGSI-15 and big holding tank, Redmax on tanked, and National 3b that swings both ways...
Old 2011-01-25, 6:28pm

Thanks for your input maybe up grading the concentrators should be my first step because it could run the inner flame of a future mirage. Hmm....

Old 2011-01-25, 7:15pm
Newb boro fanatic

I think I'll have to wave my Australian Business Number at them next time hahah. I don't know how much 'trade price' is around here, but anything under 100 would be nice...

Definitely saving for an oxycon next though... Even at 1.5k for a 10lpm machine it's easily worth it at my oxy prices lol