Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-02-17, 4:46pm

Default Sinus and Headaches

A customer just walked into our store, never had a sinus problem, but after working with a hot head and map gas, in a fairly ventilated 1,000 square foot studio began having headaches and sinus problems. She stopped making beads and the problem went away. She started up again and the problems came back. Does anybody have any information to help this person?

Your posts would be nice!

Mike

Frantz Art Glass Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Torch Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike's phone: 800.839.6712 ext 206
Old 2011-02-17, 4:49pm

Nitrous Oxides (at the very least!). Her ventilation is not strong enough.
Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2011-02-18, 7:29am
Karen James

If there has been a lot of moisture in the area she is working in, could be a mold problem. That would certainly lead to sinus issues.

That is not to discount the ventilation issue, but just another thought.

Karen

Cricket, Mini CC, Devilbiss MC84 Oxy and NG
Old 2011-02-18, 8:25am

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJJames View Post
If there has been a lot of moisture in the area she is working in, could be a mold problem. That would certainly lead to sinus issues.

That is not to discount the ventilation issue, but just another thought.
I had this same though, because my allergies are flaring up with all this crazy warm weather were having here in Michigan. What happens when she sits in the room without the torch running ?
Current flamethrowers: Redmax, a Mini CC, and a fancy Benelli Cordoba skeet gun.
Old 2011-02-18, 8:41am

Mike, I'm wondering if she's had chronic sinus issues. After four years on a HH and good ventilation, I still wear a mask to torch (N95). Not enough for particulates, but somehow it keeps my head from getting stuffed up. Of course, I don't know the science behind it, but if I don't wear a mask and torch for a few hours, I'm stuffed up the rest of the day. Just one of my quirks, I guess.

Old 2011-02-18, 9:51am
Corgi Cult Member

"Fairly ventilated" sounds like the key phrase here. Several years ago when I was in a stained glass shop they were giving a class on hotheads. They didn't have an actual vent over the workbench, but the shop was a very large open space and I believe they had both the front and back doors open with a fan at the back door. I was shopping for stained glass, so I wasn't even close to the torches, but within half an hour I had a raging headache!

Perhaps suggest she try the bacon or candle tests to verify her ventilation. I'm sure you've heard of these Mike, but incase others are reading who haven't: Fry a small piece of bacon in the torch flame, if you can smell it, your ventilation isn't strong enough. The candle is the same, only less messy, light a strong smelling candle, place right underneath your torch's flame. It's also helpful to have a second person walk around the room and see if they can smell it too. No smell = safe!

Years ago I had a ventilation system professionally installed. The HAVC guys who installed it in the basement did such a poor job that it didn't effectively remove the fumes. Every time I torched, we could smell it upstairs in the family room. If I torched for more than a couple hours I would get headaches, sinus issues and a lingering cough. I couldn't keep torching like that, so DH and I redid the system ourselves following the advice on LE. The fan, along with the metal box around the torching area work like a charm. It passes both the bacon and candle test!

Old 2011-02-18, 9:59am

I agree with Kathy that 'fairly well' ventilated is probably the key phrase. A smoke test is the only way to actually trace the air flow away from the torch plume and understand fully where the combustion products are going. Smell is unreliable as the nose becomes acclimated to a smell and you can't trace it at low concentrations. Smoke give you a visual reference. MAP gas also does not completely combust in a Hothead, leaving you with a host of chemicals in the atmosphere including nitric oxides and other irritants. She is likely responding to one of the products of partial combustion of MAP gas. The cure is active ventilation which will remove ALL of the combustion products from the work area. IMHO, the size of the area is irrelevant if the torch plume is not actively removed.

Robert
Old 2011-02-18, 10:29am

Is she "hugging" the torch instead of sitting behind it?

Ginko Beads
Old 2011-02-18, 10:44am
Surrounded by Trouble

Besides all the wonderful advice given I would also suggest she check the hoses and attachments.

I was at a small retreat in a very well ventilated studio and had such a bad headache I could not torch. I would take a break for an hour and get some fresh air, headache would go away, go back inside, headache back. I checked all the torches so many times my head was spinning as I knew it was someone's torch that was leaking propane somewhere.

Someone had brought their brand new minor, right out of the box, set it up, just hooking up the hoses already on it that screwed in. This torch had a cut in the propane hose right under the torch and was leaking propane into the air all day.
You never know where a leak can be hiding until you check everything, and everywhere.

Old 2011-02-18, 2:30pm
Salt Box Beads

I am very sensitive to torch fumes so a half mask or full face respirator plus excellent exhaust system is what works for me.
Old 2011-02-18, 3:47pm
Gentleman of Leisure

As others have suggested, ventilation is not adequate and/or chronic sinus issues.... Also is person forgetting to breath.... Sometime it happens....

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2011-02-19 at 8:22am.
Old 2011-02-18, 8:15pm
Triumphantly Knit!

I tend to agree that it's about ventilation, as well. Be that as it may....I have herniated disks in my neck and if I don't watch my posture, remember to breathe and relax, not get all tensed up working on a bead, and don't stretch I can get wicked headaches from my neck and shoulders being so tight and sometimes it affects my sinuses almost like a migraine even, at times. I tend to jut my head and neck forward rather than sit up straight--fast track to head, sinus, and jaw pain.
I hope she figures it out and feels better.
Namaste
Rowyn

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

"Only from the heart can you touch the sky"

"Be kind whenever possible.It is always possible
Old 2011-02-19, 7:29am
Glassmangler

Inadequate ventilation.
Old 2011-02-19, 8:09am

Not only good ventilation but I'm thinking good fresh air coming into the room she's in.
Old 2011-02-19, 4:18pm

I agree about the "fairly ventilated" issue. Also, to check for leaks, get a spray bottle and fill it half way with soapy water...more water than soap...and spray the hoses down. Pay special attention to the connections from the hoses to the tanks AND the hoses to the torch. If it bubbles up, then there are leaks in the hoses. Either the hoses aren't connected well enough or there's a hole or slit in them.
Hope this helps and stops your sinus problems and headaches.
--Glasskat