AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2007-11-30, 10:49am

My Mother passed away in January, and she was a keeper of many things (aka pack rat). I have a whole box of keys from her house I will look and see what I can find. I will put them up on ebay for sale... im flameartbytd.
Old 2008-01-12, 11:28am
JulieV

I just wanted to share a few more bead keys. I sold some this past winter at some Christmas shows I did. One lady bought 6 of them for her granddaughters.
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-01-14, 4:11pm

Great thread!! I want to try this but here's probably a stupid question. What if you don't like the bead when it comes out of the kiln? Do you just have to throw everything away or is there a way to get the bead off the key to try again?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"People can be the wind beneath your wings or the anchor on your boat" John Maxwell
Old 2008-01-14, 7:20pm
JulieV

I think you could break the bead on purpose and re-use the key. I've accidently broke the bead trying to free it so it would spin. I just used the key over again.

Old 2008-01-14, 8:49pm
Just Plain

I've bopped quite a few with the hammer. I put it in a baggie so the glass doesn't fly around, then take it outside on the cement and give a firm tap on the bead. You might have to tap more than once. Then I melt any leftovers off with the torch, dunk it, & re-use the key. Works great!

Old 2008-01-15, 2:31pm
HotFlash Designs

Hi all of you key bead people. lol

I know some of us are having issues finding keys. I was at an antique store the other day. They had about 30 of them.They want $5 each for them, so I only bought a few for me, but if anyone wants me to go get them some, let me know. If they were less, I would have grabbed more.

Sheri

Be Curious. Not judgmental.
Old 2008-01-15, 2:52pm

Well I checked all the antique stores in my area and they don't have any!
I've got some auctions going (don't everybody run over there and start jacking the prices up!!) lol if I don't get em I'll pm you Sheri.

"People can be the wind beneath your wings or the anchor on your boat" John Maxwell
Old 2008-01-15, 4:17pm
JulieV

I get mine from here -

http://search.ebay.ca/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQf...ELQ3aCAQ3a1124

Old 2008-01-15, 4:54pm

Yea!!! I just won an auction on Ebay for keys!! Hope they come tomorrow!! lol
Thanks Julie for the link. I put them in my favorite sellers pile. Funny they didn't come up when I did a search for keys and they have lots.

Old 2008-01-15, 5:42pm
JulieV

That is odd...when I searched a few months ago, it's the main one that DID come up! You can never figure out seach engines! lol

Old 2008-01-23, 3:52am
offically down under

I bought a bunch of keys from the locksmith for 50 cents a piece. They are shinny and no matter how much I heated them, I couldn't get the glass to stick. Any ideas????

Old 2008-01-23, 6:40am
JulieV

I too, would be interested to find out what they're made of! If you find out, please tell us.

Old 2008-01-23, 4:12pm

Well I made one and can't get the blasted to key to let loose so I can clean it!! I may have to bust this one up too. (Notice I said too! My first bead was horrible and I beat it off with a hammer!!) Now this one is stuck. I want it to spin around the key.
ETA: I bought 4 keys at antique store and so far 2 melted right in the flame!! I hope I have better success with the ones that arrived from Ebay.

Old 2008-01-23, 5:12pm
JulieV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna T. View Post
Well I made one and can't get the blasted to key to let loose so I can clean it!! I may have to bust this one up too. (Notice I said too! My first bead was horrible and I beat it off with a hammer!!) Now this one is stuck. I want it to spin around the key.
ETA: I bought 4 keys at antique store and so far 2 melted right in the flame!! I hope I have better success with the ones that arrived from Ebay.

When I dip the key in bead release, I make sure I dip almost the whole thing. Then I very gently hold the key with pliers and tap, tap, tap the key on the cupboard - knocking the bead loose. But this picture shows it after I've already scrubbed off the excess release. Anyway, hope you get the idea. After about 4 dozen, I've only had 2 I couldn't get free to spin.
Attached Images

Old 2008-01-24, 1:15am
Entropy increasing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammydownunder View Post
I bought a bunch of keys from the locksmith for 50 cents a piece. They are shinny and no matter how much I heated them, I couldn't get the glass to stick. Any ideas????
That is odd, I have not had that happen with the shiniest keys I have tried. They aren't melting? I've had some shiny ones melt.
Old 2008-01-25, 2:40am

how is everyone going about annealling the keys? do you just throw them in the kiln like you would with your beads?

Vanessa

|
|
|
|
|
Old 2008-01-25, 6:10am
JulieV

Yes, I just lay the mandrel with the key on it, along side the rest of whatever is in there.

Old 2008-02-12, 12:47pm
caffiene, beads, bedhead,

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammydownunder View Post
did you try coating the key in release first?
that may help it grab..
xo L

~~
~~
Old 2008-02-12, 8:53pm

FYI, If a magnet sticks to the metal key it is steel. Some really pretty keys here and I like the ideas on how to use them. Pam

Old 2008-02-18, 8:26am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieV View Post
When I dip the key in bead release, I make sure I dip almost the whole thing. Then I very gently hold the key with pliers and tap, tap, tap the key on the cupboard - knocking the bead loose. But this picture shows it after I've already scrubbed off the excess release. Anyway, hope you get the idea. After about 4 dozen, I've only had 2 I couldn't get free to spin.
Thanks Julie BUT they're still stuck. I'll keep trying though.

Old 2008-02-21, 5:04pm

Here's a pix of the only one I've gotten unstuck and strung up and it sold the first day on display!!
Attached Images

Old 2008-02-21, 6:07pm
MacGalver

Nice, Donna... I like the randomness of your layered dots! How much did you get for it, if you don't mind my asking? I'm curious in general what people are charging for these....
Old 2008-02-22, 6:47pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by grrlartist View Post
Nice, Donna... I like the randomness of your layered dots! How much did you get for it, if you don't mind my asking? I'm curious in general what people are charging for these....
I sold it for $30. The key costs me $2 on Ebay-I got the chain at Michael's on sale for $4. Took me like 5 minutes to assemble. Not bad I think. It was in my display about 3 hours before it sold. Now if I can get the other ones unstuck.....
I saw one on Ebay the other day that was just the key and bead for I think about $40. But it was alot prettier than my bead. I think Kevan may have made it.

Old 2008-02-24, 7:58am
librarian

I have been lurking around this thread and I got some great information! Thanks for all the great advice....and beautiful key beads. Here is one I made for my husband. He wanted it EF'd so I used a piece of evergreen and some micro beads. I EF'd the entire key.

Thanks again!

Last edited by librarian; 2008-02-24 at 7:59am. Reason: spelling
Old 2008-02-24, 8:46am
Elphaba Lives !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by librarian View Post
I have been lurking around this thread and I got some great information! Thanks for all the great advice....and beautiful key beads. Here is one I made for my husband. He wanted it EF'd so I used a piece of evergreen and some micro beads. I EF'd the entire key.

Thanks again!
I don't even know what to say !!! I am truly speechless on this one !!!!!

Kathy

Old 2008-02-24, 8:55am

Well, I DO know what to say....WELL DONE!!!!!! (at my house this is the ultimate compliment)
Kim V

Old 2008-02-24, 8:56am
Procrastinate Now!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by librarian View Post

Thanks again!
Stunning!!

I just recently purchased a few keys at an antique store. They are flat though. Will flat keys work? Or am I out of luck on those?

Those who restrain desire do so because theirs is weak enough to be restrained.
Old 2008-02-24, 10:00am

Peggy - that is one darn lucky guy, what a stunning piece, I hope you do more. Jeri

Still selling beadstands but no more Puffy Mandrels.
Old 2008-02-24, 11:29am
I speak Murrini!

Lurker DeAnne here again! I have a really weird question: I've seen some folks asking how to get the keys back to the "shiny" state, but frankly, I like the look of the older, darker coloring on them. Any suggestions on how to make them turn dark? Do you think Liver of Sulfer would work? I also considered burying them in the ground, but don't want them to rust, necessarily - just get that older steel, sort of "dungeon" look. Any advice would be great!

DeAnne in CA

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2008-02-24, 1:44pm

Hi DeAnne, Try this and see if the color is dark enough for you:
Using Tongs or Pliers, heat the entire key before placing it in the kiln~

Hugs
Lynnie

Thank You to ALL of my friends
who have journeyed
With me thru my elbow injury
and recovery!

: