Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2013-05-06, 2:36pm

Default Mixing Colors

OK I admit it I'm still a newbie. I read in several areas about mixing or watering down colors by mixing with clear. How is this done without the color looking just encased in clear. I tried taking two rods and mushing them together but it still looks like the color is encased in clear. What am I missing or doing wrong?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-05-06, 7:53pm
Flamewoman

What I do is take the color I want to mix with clear and punty up to a 9mm (fatter) punty of clear. then I nip off about an inch with nippers. Then I stripe that inch of color glass with as much clear as I want to mix in. then punty to another 9mm and then proceed to mix by getting it very hot, stretching and twisting untill I have it mixed to my satisfaction. sometimes I only use one punty and use my small mashers to manipulate the glass till it is mixed. I try to avoid working air bubbles into it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2013-05-07, 4:37am

Thanks Mary, will try this and see how it goes.

Old 2013-05-07, 10:08pm
Alaska Boro

Mixing colors is a good way to create some interesting color reactions with clear.

On this end use a 9 mm rod of Simax clear and strip it with an inch or so of a color or colors of choice. Heat and then using BBQ mashers twist, fold back, twist and fold back. Then pull into a stringer and make your bead, etc. The idea is to have an uneven mix that results in gorgeous looking glass. If more clear is needed use a 12 mm rod or place thinner stripes of color on the clear. Add dots of white to mix in or black for other interesting effects.

To obtain a really homogeneous mix attach the striped end to a 3/16 or 1/4 SS mandrel. Then place in a battery powered drill on the slow speed setting used for driving screws. Hold the glass rod and let the drill twist and as it is melting push in and out. It is a lot of work and does mix well. The issue is that it is most difficult to make the same color twice, but works well for a one of a kind art.
Old 2013-05-08, 10:53am

so agree
the key so that it doesn't look like color is encased in clear is a lot more mixing my input is it hard not to add more clear when holding with clear rods so i use SS chop sticks just a little thicker than the mandrel. i heard of the drill thing but i don't do it that much so i just mix it real good by hand, maybe a little afraid that i might accidental speed it up and hot glass goes flying but know lots of people do it that way every day.

Living the dream rocking a GTT Mirage and or 40mm Herbert Arnold J Howard Style with a home fill system in south central Wisconsin
Old 2013-05-08, 2:13pm

this is great thanks ( coming from a newbie)
Old 2013-05-08, 4:23pm
one day at a time

I am a total boro newbie and these are three of the fifteen boro beads I have made. I mixed these colors swirls by mixing with clear. I pulled a twisted cane and then applied a few layers of it over a clear core. Then I added the clear dots. The cane was made with clear, butterscotch, rust, and pomegranate. I think. The red was ruby, white, and clear cane over a core of clear. The beads were huge (to me they were!), like 25mm, 22mm, and 30mm. The twisted canes were thicker than what they would be if they were soft glass, twisted more, and quite gnarly looking things. But the colors were finely swirled together without being blended too much.

I made these a long time ago, way back in 2005. I played around with boro very briefly. I'm still very much a noob.

Last edited by Lisi; 2013-05-08 at 4:25pm.
Old 2013-05-08, 5:10pm

Thanks for all the input.