LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2006-09-15, 8:16am

Teresa - So you recognize the sign, huh? I just couldn't resist putting that somewhere in the studio. I used to have a wall clock hanging there, but it lost out to the Pyrormaniac at Play sign. Very limited wall space left, so something had to go, and the clock lost out.

Mark - THANKS!!!

B - The blowers that I got from Grainger were only open for ducting on one side. I know the type you're talking about, and the ones I bought aren't that style, but thanks for asking.

Karen - the metal storage units I have could probably be filled to capacity and not buckle. Those things are REALLY sturdy. As for the shoe organizer from Home Depot, I noticed that the bottom is starting to sag ever so slightly, so I probably won't put much more glass in it. Since I don't work in boro, I don't have many 20" rods. I have one small box of boro, which is sitting on top of one of my blue storage units, but what I'd worry about with the 20" rods is the ends sticking out really far. I've nicked myself a couple of times (not badly) on longer rods, and my rods are only 12" - 13" long.

Becky
Old 2006-09-15, 9:34am
stacijane on Etsy

Fantastic!!! I love the color and the layout is very well thought out. I'm so jealous!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-09-15, 9:47am
Ghost Town Glass

Becky, what is it sitting on? Did you have to prepare the site or lay a slab down?

Old 2006-09-15, 9:57am

Janine,

It is sitting on concrete blocks up off the ground, which is the only thing that sort of creeps me out. There is a 12" space under the studio, which is the idea place for snakes and other rodents to live. I try not to think about that.

Becky
Old 2006-09-15, 10:12am
Ghost Town Glass

Okay, that is what I thought. Yeah, best not to think about it. We have spiders. Wolf spiders. Think big. I don't LIKE spiders. Therefore there are no spiders anywhere near me. DH promised.

Old 2006-09-15, 10:25am
Dichro Addict

Becky,
Your studio is incredible, outside and in. I love the little path and the landscaping and the deck! It's just so cute.

I have one question. Where is your makeup air coming from? Do you open a window? I only ask because I am trying to improve upon my makeup air source and I wondered what you were doing. I don't have a window to open...grrrrr.

Last edited by lenora; 2006-09-15 at 10:27am.
Old 2006-09-15, 11:04am
Is it Friday yet?

Default Karenbeads

Thank you for the reply Becky. I am going to stick with my original plan and build exactly what I need out of PVC pipes, like the one you have by the windows. I will post a picture of my setup in a few weeks, I am almost done, I am waiting for the DH to install the exhaust and put in more outlets.

Karen
I miss my torch!
Old 2006-09-15, 12:03pm

Janine - I am such a HUGE arachnaphobic. EWWWWWW!!!!!! We have the big brown wood spiders here - gosh, I'm getting the willies just typing this. I was in my studio about 7 months ago cleaning beads at my sink when out of the corner of my eye I saw one drop down from over the door and scurry under the table where the student torches are. I FREAKED OUT!!! I ran inside and told my husband what had happened and he went out there to see if he could find it. No luck. I told him that as long as I knew it COULD still be in there I couldn't go in there. I had these horrible visons of it.........EEEEWWWW..............crawling across my foot -----OH MY GOD!!!!!......while I'm torching and me burning down my studio knocking things over trying to get away from it.

Soooooo, he decided the best thing was to set off a fumigation bomb. He put down newpaper, set it off and closed the door. We were leaving town for the weekend, so there was plenty of time for it to do the job and then have the fumes diminish enough that I could go in there. Well, we get back in town on Sunday afternoon and we went out there together. We open the door to the studio and there are about 2 million dead ants everywhere . I have no earthly idea where they came from, but they were in piles EVERYWHERE!!! I had to remove glass rods from their tubes, move piles of books, etc. It took me about 5 hours to clean up that mess. I bet I ended up with about a quart of dead ants in the vacuum cleaner. It looked like a mass ant suicide.

I looked everywhere for that damned wood spider and couldn't find it. Then about 3 days later I looked in the can of water where I drop bits of yucky glass and cool my tools, and there he was. Even though he was dead, I still got sort of freaked about it.

Lenora - regarding makeup air, in the summer I have the A/C running constantly, which provides a constant source of makeup air. It is on the back side of the studio, away from both of the vents, which are on the ends. During the winter I open a small vent that I installed right above the A/C unit. I made it from 2 of those dryer vent covers I used the hoods from both of them so that there was a hood on the inside of the wall and a hood on the outside of the wall. I installed it with the flap opening on the inside wall of the studio. Instead of air blowing the vent open to the outside, as would be the case with a clothes dryer, then shutting when the dryer isn't on, I installed it so that the flap is on the inside of the studio and when the vent fan is on, the flap opens and lets in fresh air in from the outside. When the vent system is off, it shuts to keep out air. I put window screening material on the outside under the hood to keep out bugs and other creatures. We do have those in Florida, you know? The hood on the outside keeps rain from getting in. If you need for me to post pics of this let me know.

Becky
Old 2006-09-15, 12:06pm

That is a really cute studio. How big is it? I can't tell by the pics.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2006-09-15, 12:10pm

Eric - Thanks. It isn't big at all, but is packed full of great things. It is 14' wide and 10' deep.

Becky
Old 2006-09-15, 1:11pm

I have been lucky enough to take a class at Becky’s Cute Studio. It is just as cute as it can be. Becky made the knobs on the cabinet doors!! Also you can’t see but she put mosaic windowsills in that are so colorful and a nice touch. She is also a very good teacher if anyone lives close enough to take a class with her. You will sure learn a LOT!!! I am usually a lurker but I just couldn’t resist telling you (mostly what a good teacher she is)
Cindy Sexton
Old 2006-09-15, 2:28pm
Dichro Addict

Thanks for the info Becky!! You described it very well. I decided to duct from my garage with a 12" duct. I open the garage door when I work and then cap off the duct when I'm done, but it gets hot in there. Being safe is such a pain!!!! Thanks again! Everyone obviously loves your studio!!!

Old 2006-09-15, 2:29pm

Cindy,

You are such a sweetheart. You do have the distinction of being one of the first 2 students to ever take a class in my studio. That was a really fun day!

Now that the weather is starting to cool off a little, I'm starting to teach again. In fact I'm teaching a private class all day tomorrow.

So good to hear from you, and thanks for coming out of the shadows to post on this thread.

Becky
Old 2006-09-15, 11:00pm
Sheryll

Hi Becky,
Thanks for the info. One tip on the spiders - I make my boyfriend spray a bug repellent around the house. I think it's called Home Defense but there's a non-toxic version called Orange Guard that I want to try out. You have to respray Home Defense every 6 months but it really helps with no spiders in the house - I figure it's something you can use for the shed. But remember to spray the entire perimeter of the shed. Anyway, awesome shed.
Old 2006-09-16, 5:21am

Raven,

I like the idea of a non-toxic repellent. My studio is in the backyard, which is where our dogs go outside to do their business, and I really don't want them snooping around any poison. Thanks for the suggestion. If it works to keep out spiders (I get the creepies just typing that word), then it is worth a try. Will tell Rick about it and ask him to pick some up at Home Depot.

Becky
Old 2018-08-05, 3:15am

Great job! Do you still have the design? Would you mind sharing? I've found some shed plans online, but yours look way better.