Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2014-04-09, 4:37am
Evil Glass Enabler

I like it. Jellies have a tendency to do things like that. "Lalalala, you can't see me!" Angelique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalorlo View Post
Anyone want a laugh? This jelly has a truly unfortunate colour combination!

The barnacles done like that were always going to be a bad idea. The backing isn't too bad in itself, but needs a bright solid jelly to go in front of it, not a wispy one... One for the fugly pile!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fantasy Sterling Jewelry
Hothead or Nortel Major/minor on an oxycon. Ex-hole stole the big torches after putting them on the inventory.
"If I'm not part of the solution then I'm part of the problem. Today I'm part of the problem."
Old 2014-04-17, 11:05am

omg love the jelly fish!! are there any tutorials?
Old 2014-04-17, 1:11pm
Evil Glass Enabler

You mean like this one? http://lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=243718 Angelique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raina View Post
omg love the jelly fish!! are there any tutorials?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fantasy Sterling Jewelry
Hothead or Nortel Major/minor on an oxycon. Ex-hole stole the big torches after putting them on the inventory.
"If I'm not part of the solution then I'm part of the problem. Today I'm part of the problem."
Old 2014-04-20, 7:15am
Flamewoman

Default New Jellyfish

Been a while since I posted some fish, here are some new ones.
Check out my facebook page, there are some there too.

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2014-04-20, 9:02am

Lookin' good Mary!
Old 2014-04-22, 5:01pm

Some new ones Mary? Looks like a veritable deadly tide worth. Very nice.
Old 2014-05-02, 1:53pm
Bernhard Riegler

it's been a while that I did a jelly - this wonky one happened - must have lost my skills - more practise . . .
Attached Images

Bernhard Riegler - Bay of Islands - New Zealand

Old 2014-05-02, 3:33pm
Bernhard Riegler

practise, practise practise
Attached Images

Old 2014-05-03, 8:53am
Flamewoman

Those are just lovely Bernhard, and I know just what you mean about losing skills without practice. I have been off my torch for a week or more now, and no idea when I can torch again, been too busy with life other than glass. Will be glad when things settle down some. What are the lower tentacles made from?

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2014-05-03, 12:26pm
Bernhard Riegler

Thank you Mary. I think that was blue moon

Old 2014-05-03, 9:14pm

Bernhard, I like your Jellyffish in post 370. I like the color of the bell. What color is it? It looks simalar to NS Caramel, which I have been using lately. When I use Caramel for the bell, it is tan on top and lighter around the edge. Yours looks white on top and tan underneath.
Old 2014-05-03, 11:15pm
Bernhard Riegler

hi Tom - that is Pomegranate with DAP over the top . . . DAP didn't strike

Old 2014-08-06, 5:16am

Done some more jellies - my first one was wonky again in a few ways.

Jelly 26 - Sasha's oil slick (not treated right I think, but hey) and Chinese white, with GA peacock frit on the cap and background, backed by Momka beige/brown short. A bit wibbly-shaped because I noticed a surface defect after the first time through the kiln, so removed that next time, but didn't sort the shape - I was just hanging on to it with pliers rather than puntying it up again.

Momka short - went pastel and checked when encased, but looks way more interesting on the back surface!

Jelly 28 with checks - Momka beige/brown short backed by GA dragon's eye frit. The in-hand pic has the best idea of what the background really looks like most of the time.

Jelly 27 - blue exotic and Chinese white, backed with Momka yellow/pearly green cane.

|
|
|
|
Old 2014-08-12, 11:33am

Awesome thread!
Old 2014-08-14, 5:27am

Jelly 29 is NS silver seaweed and Chinese white, with dark orange backing.

|
|
|
|
Old 2015-02-06, 5:50am

Some more jellyfish.

NS Blue Moon jellyfish with backing of NS silver pearl (the backing colour in hand is more accurate).

Blue Moon jellyfish with TAG caramelo backing

Momka Almond Nugget jellyfish with blue moon backing

Momka Silver Flambe jellyfish with blue moon backing

|
|
|
|
Old 2015-02-06, 7:06am

Love your jellies Heather.

"All true artists, whether they know it or not, create from a place of no-mind, from inner stillness."
Eckhart Tolle

Cathy[/font]
Old 2015-02-07, 7:27am
DaveK

So, the method is basically like a mushroom but you have a bunch of stems, right? My problem is getting the whole thing look like it is "swimming" is a volume of glass.
You can call me Dave 🎨
Old 2015-02-07, 11:18am

Those are great Jellies Heather. I'm glad to see this Jellyfish thread still going. KA there is another Jellyfish thread that Mary K started that got moved to the Free Boro Tutorial section. http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ight=jellyfish
There is more info there on making Jellyfish. I've been making Jellyfish ever since Mary K the first thread. Here is my latest Jellyfish Marble.

Name:  Silver Iris Jelly 8%.jpg
Views: 1394
Size:  35.9 KB
The color is Silver Iris.
Old 2015-02-07, 11:29am

Very nice Tom!

"All true artists, whether they know it or not, create from a place of no-mind, from inner stillness."
Eckhart Tolle

Cathy[/font]
Old 2015-02-07, 11:49am

Thanks
Old 2015-02-07, 10:58pm
Flamewoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Hue View Post
Those are great Jellies Heather. I'm glad to see this Jellyfish thread still going. KA there is another Jellyfish thread that Mary K started that got moved to the Free Boro Tutorial section. http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ight=jellyfish
There is more info there on making Jellyfish. I've been making Jellyfish ever since Mary K the first thread. Here is my latest Jellyfish Marble.

Attachment 153071
You know, when they started moving threads, and separated things here on LE It sort of died here for me. And not just me, a lot of other peeps that used to hang here are sort of out too. I wish they had left it alone, it was fun, but they ruined it. Nice marble for sure.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2015-02-08, 4:16am
kinda torching....

Ive stopped hanging around a lot since then^
But it seems a lot of glassy groups and sites are dying out, even one or two of the glass mags are dyinh..

Old 2015-02-09, 7:42am
DaveK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Hue View Post

Attachment 153071
I had read that thread before. In my astetic, there should be as much clear glass surrounding the jellyfish, on all sides, as the cap (Aboral surface) is wide. But that's just me and that is why I stopped trying to do them. I couldn't seem to add extra glass without deforming the overall shape of the jellyfish and/or adding stress ridges. Maybe, when I get better I will be able to do that. I didn't see how that was explained in the thread.
You can call me Dave 🎨
Old 2015-02-09, 9:29pm
Flamewoman

KA when you add the glass on top of the cap, you do that then. put a lot of glass on and push it down with a graphite butter knife. That's how I do it.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2015-02-10, 3:55am
He can do the origami

KA, you are using too much heat when you add your clear. Melt your clear in slower and shape it cooler. You can easily add more glass to your piece without deforming the jelly. The jelly should not be getting hot enough to move.

Otter
Old 2015-02-10, 7:00am
DaveK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter's Flame View Post
KA, you are using too much heat when you add your clear. Melt your clear in slower and shape it cooler. You can easily add more glass to your piece without deforming the jelly. The jelly should not be getting hot enough to move.

Otter
I would have to see a that done without getting stress marks.
You can call me Dave 🎨
Old 2015-02-10, 3:28pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA View Post
I would have to see a that done without getting stress marks.
Slightly oxidizing flame, core is warm but not moving, add glass to the surface and dont shape it until the heat base is even and the clear is melted in fully. How are you shaping?
Old 2015-02-10, 3:51pm

I've been following this thread forever. Finally got the nerve to actually try one. Here's one that turned out nice. They are addictive

Old 2015-02-10, 5:23pm
He can do the origami

KA, can you show me a picture of the "stess marks" you are talking about? I was referring to adding glass without distorting the internal design you have but I would like to help you solve whatever issues you are having. I am not sure I understand what you mean bu stress marks. The only thing I equate that with is either chill marks or movement in the glass when the glass was too cool and then not reheated to remove the marks.

Mary K, not trying to hijack your thread. If you want me to move this to a seperate thread I will.

Otter