Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-09-22, 5:22pm

Default need answers on kilns please

I bought a paragon caldera XP kiln. When she shipped it some bricks inside got broke. Can I replace them? It is a computer control kilm and not so cheap.Would it cost alot to replace them.It has the bead collar as well. Paragon web site dont show brick replacement. Thanks Mary
Old 2008-09-22, 5:28pm
In search of her path....

Mary it depends on the broken bricks and how easily they can be taken out and replaced. The bricks themselves are not very expensive look in your yellowpages for refractory the bricks should be available at one of the refractory suppliers in your area. We have Empire Refractory here. They usually have the kiln cement too. If they are close enough you could probally take the kiln to them and ask their expertise in how to fix it and which bricks to use.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Prints for sale in my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Old 2008-09-22, 5:34pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

How badly broken are they? They may not need to be replaced unless the element is loose or there is now a gap in the brick - or the thickness of the brick is significantly thinner.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2008-09-22, 5:36pm

Yep aghree with squid I was going to come back and mention that and even if the bricks are a little loose you can get Kiln Cement and fix that up in no time.

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2008-09-22, 5:40pm
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary1_$ View Post
I bought a paragon caldera XP kiln. When she shipped it some bricks inside got broke. Can I replace them? It is a computer control kilm and not so cheap.Would it cost alot to replace them.It has the bead collar as well. Paragon web site dont show brick replacement. Thanks Mary
You have two options.

1. Remove and replace the damaged bricks (time consuming). Kiln bricks (9" x 4.5" x 2.5") cost about $4 each.
2. Mortar fill any cracks or missing pieces (not as attractiive but less work and will be fine).

Here's a guide to kiln repair that might help:
http://www.glasscampus.com/tutorials...ir%20Guide.pdf

You can definitely repair your kiln.

DeBrady Glassworks
- - Glass Campus
- Victorian Art Glass
- Master Artisan
Old 2008-09-22, 5:42pm

wow those are some expensive bricks you get up there Dennis...the last time I bought some they were less than $2 each and I had a variety of hard and soft bricks and they were all similarly prices.

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2008-09-22, 5:51pm
Curmudgeon

Last I saw, the manufacturer, Thermal Ceramics, was charging more then $2 ea in pallet load lots. I'd love to hear where you can get kiln bricks for $2 each.

Sundance glass charges $4.00 ea (they also sell cement)
http://www.sundanceglass.com/kiln-making-materials.htm

Seattle Pottery charges $3.50 ea

DeBrady Glassworks
- - Glass Campus
- Victorian Art Glass
- Master Artisan
Old 2008-09-22, 6:00pm

Oh it is in bad shape. Chunks broken off . Some are crumbling. So sad this happened. I guess I need a place in Little Rock Arkansas. But there isnt a listing in the yellow pages for refractory. I'm just sick. It is about a $800 or $900 kiln. I paid $550.00 for it. Great buy if it wasnt falling apart. I cant do it myself. What to do. Thanks Mary
Old 2008-09-22, 6:12pm

Mary, look in your local phone book under Pottery Supply or Ceramics Supply. These places usually sell kilns too, and will know where to get brick and/or refractory cement. They may even know someone that can repair your kiln for you. These repairs are common.

Malcolm

Email:

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2008-09-22, 9:03pm

Thanks for the help. I will check. Lovies Mary
Old 2008-09-23, 3:29pm

paragon said they would builb me one and use my controler Just use my controler it cost $424.00 but a new one would be over $800.So repair seems the best way to go.Be careful when you bid on one this could happen to you.

Last edited by mary1_$; 2008-09-23 at 3:32pm.
Old 2008-09-23, 3:46pm
Who me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary1_$ View Post
paragon said they would builb me one and use my controler Just use my controler it cost $424.00 but a new one would be over $800.So repair seems the best way to go.Be careful when you bid on one this could happen to you.

Did the seller or you insure it?