Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-10-22, 2:46pm

Default Kiln Controller as pyrometer?

So this question may be very dumb, silly or what have you... but I'll ask anyways because Ive yet to see anyone post an unkind answer to anyone on here so here goes

My kiln that i bought off my art teacher for 25 bucks, is a completely working kiln in that it gets hot... hot enough to anneal beads (as for now thats its only function) but the problem is that it's very very old (maybe 25+ years) and as such has a temperature knob and a broken pyrometer...

Ive been wanting to buy a kiln controller ( probably a Bartlett 3 key or Fuji PXV3 from vicartglass.com) but my question is... will a controller work as a pyrometer in that it will display the current termperature of the kiln and ramp up to the annealing/ hold temperature... or do i have to go dump another 50 bucks into a pyrometer?
Old 2008-10-22, 3:06pm

I really think that a digital controller will do both jobs. so you can forget getting a new pyrometer.
Liz R

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MADE IN THE U.S.A.

Lead me not into temptation, Oh hell follow me I know a short cut
Old 2008-10-22, 5:20pm
KILN BUILDIN FOOL

a controller will read the temp and tell it what to do ,you need not the Knob or the pyrometer.look around you might find a good deal.

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When you tell lie's about someone, well you get what you get.
Old 2008-10-22, 6:18pm
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhymnoceros View Post
So this question may be very dumb, silly or what have you... but I'll ask anyways because Ive yet to see anyone post an unkind answer to anyone on here so here goes

My kiln that i bought off my art teacher for 25 bucks, is a completely working kiln in that it gets hot... hot enough to anneal beads (as for now thats its only function) but the problem is that it's very very old (maybe 25+ years) and as such has a temperature knob and a broken pyrometer...

Ive been wanting to buy a kiln controller ( probably a Bartlett 3 key or Fuji PXV3 from vicartglass.com) but my question is... will a controller work as a pyrometer in that it will display the current termperature of the kiln and ramp up to the annealing/ hold temperature... or do i have to go dump another 50 bucks into a pyrometer?
A pyrometer just tells you what the temperature is in the kiln. Controllers do that also - plus lots of other things. If you have a controller, that's all you need.

If you decide to forego the cost of a controller and get a replacement pyrometer, don't buy an analog one. It's extremely difficult to accurately read where the needle is on the hash marks. You'll be much happier if you get a digital one that can read precise temperature to the individual degree. We have digitals in both F & C for $60.

DeBrady Glassworks
- - Glass Campus
- Victorian Art Glass
- Master Artisan
Old 2008-10-23, 5:55am
Mary Lockwood

There are some great controllers priced very fairly on eBay from sellers who also have relay switches and other parts if you end up needing them. Just please do a little bit of research about who you are buying from before you order, ebay or not.

Good luck to ya.
~~Mary

Old 2008-11-16, 7:18am

Quote:
will a controller work as a pyrometer in that it will display the current termperature of the kiln and ramp up to the annealing/ hold temperature... or do i have to go dump another 50 bucks into a pyrometer?
A controller is just what you want. It will display the temp on a digital display and all ow you to set the temp and have it hold it for you.

If you want it to ramp up and down So it can take it to a set temp and hold it there before going on to the next step and holding at a different temp and time. Or the more basic type of controller is a single set point controller. That holds at one temp that you set and to change temperature you have to change the setting on the controller up or down.