No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-08-29, 2:00pm
Disconnected

Default Thick handle too hot to hold

I love my cab tools but they have a thick handle (2/8"). Right where I need to hold it, about 1 1/2" from the disk, the handle sucks up a lot of heat and I just can't hold it.
It's frustrating me because I'm used to holding everything (mandrels, stringers, tools) very close to the flame for more precision, but I can't do it with this. I don't have this problem so bad with my regular cab mandrels that have a 1/8" handle, so I'm assuming it's because of the thickness.

Any tips on what to cover that handle with to insulate it? My husband did a beautiful ropework job around the aluminum handle of my marver (duh! What was I thinking when I bought that one! Aluminum!) but have 2 of those cab tools and I don't want to ask him again...
Any quick fix for that?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-08-29, 6:18pm
Mr Brutus RIP

what about some kind of tubing? rubber? My chopsticks have some kind of plastic tubing on them. maybe check out home depot? take it with you to try.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2013-08-29, 6:24pm
Disconnected

I've thought of that, but wonder if it would melt?

Old 2013-08-29, 6:26pm
Mr Brutus RIP

I dont' think it would if your not putting it in the flame but I couldn't swear to it.

Old 2013-08-29, 6:27pm

Silicone takes high temps. How close does it get? Does it go into your kiln?
Old 2013-08-29, 6:27pm
Mr Brutus RIP

Oh, what about some higher temp tubing from like advanced auto parts or pep boys...not sure anymore what they have up there, its been too long. (I lived in wareham for a number of years and was married there)

Old 2013-08-29, 6:28pm
Mr Brutus RIP

Never even thought of that....you prob want it to be able to go in the kiln right?

Old 2013-08-29, 6:30pm
Disconnected

Silicone is a good idea, I'll look into that. Yes, it goes into the kiln, but silicone would probably handle that.

Glassymom, what are Pep boys? My husband works in Wareham, maybe I should ask him

Old 2013-08-29, 8:25pm

A secondary disk behind the work surface may act as a heat sink and delay the handle heating up.
Something like a rod support may do the same thing.

Old 2013-08-30, 7:57am
Glass-aholic

I wrapped my brass poke stick in athletic fabric tape. The kind that is like leg wraps for horses sorta... It's like a fabric that sticks to itself. I stole a roll from a friend, but I'm sure you can get it in the sports section of anything from Walmart to cabellas I'm guessing... Cheap and easy. It will dry out a bit after a while, but it's easily redone.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2013-08-30, 8:18am
Disconnected

Heat sink, that's another good direction.
Jaci, I know the kind of tape, doesn't it come undone or dried up in the kiln? At work I wrap my fingertips with jewelry tape, the green stuff that sticks to itself, so I have some, but I'm thinking that stuff works because it's waxy, so not very heat-friendly

Old 2013-08-30, 8:39am
Glass-aholic

I didn't put it in the kiln... It's a tool or the mandrel itself? Mine was on a tool, and yes I think you are talking about the same stuff. I wonder if would help to have something you could slide off before it went into the kiln, kindda like those pencil grip things... Hummmm or a cork grip. Maybe you could drill a hole in a cork? Seems like it would be thick. Maybe it would absorb the heat though and you could slide it off before it hits the kiln??

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2013-08-30, 9:47am

I have used pin vices like that it helps with dot placement with small mandrel beads.