Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-11-29, 1:13pm

Default How did you guys get started?

whats going on guys! Ive been on the torch for about three months now and ive been working out my buddies garage. Unfortunately his parents are moving out of san diego and we need a new place to melt. I am trying to convince my dad telling him we will follow every fire regulation, even get a fire marshall out to make sure its safe but he still not ok with us working out of my garage. My question is for how did you guys convince your parents to let you work in the garage? Where they afraid you were gonna burn the house down? I would really appreciate any advice anyone has to give. Thank you for reading!
Old 2014-11-29, 1:33pm

I'm older so I didn't have parents to convince...but I did need to convince my husband. (: Can you take your dad to watch you torch at your friends house? (And maybe talk to his/her parents???)

Worse case scenario...is there a place nearby to rent torch time??
Old 2014-11-29, 1:40pm

Hes seen it, he just is scared because the house isnt insured and its not worth the risk without insurance, i dont know if their is any policy's that will cover flameworking
Old 2014-11-29, 2:41pm
Loving learning

I don't work in the house/garage, we bought a stand alone shed that is quite a ways from the house.
Maybe you could tell him you will get some cement board & build a fireproof torch space between the torch & wall, etc. (I was thinking back wall at least, but maybe even 3 sided)
Purchase a fire extinguisher & keep it very handy, mine is mounted on the wall.
Is there a shed or something you could use?
Old 2014-11-29, 5:21pm
Katherine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jontheeglasshuggerr View Post
Hes seen it, he just is scared because the house isnt insured and its not worth the risk without insurance, i dont know if their is any policy's that will cover flameworking
I image you do not want to hear this but . . . I am thinking that your dad has a good point since he does not have insurance on the house. Who would pay for damage and what would he do if there was an accident?

Perhaps consider paying for homeowners insurance to help out and then your dad might think differently. May I ask how old your are?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2014-11-29, 9:32pm

Can't help you. Your dad is making all the right arguments. Heck...I shouldn't let ME torch!
Old 2014-11-29, 10:44pm

Find an old camp trailer for cheap. One that's been gutted for parts already for $100-$150
Old 2014-11-30, 7:09am

Oooh, no insurance? That's very risky.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2014-11-30, 3:59pm
Glass-aholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopdog6502 View Post
Find an old camp trailer for cheap. One that's been gutted for parts already for $100-$150
Love this idea!
I started torching at 14, and had a HH that I torched outside with, but did not really start getting good torch time til I moved out at 18. Then I had to convince a landlord...nacho was surprisingly ok with it. So you never know. You might look into a local-ish studio that you could rent torch time.

What kind of glass ore you doing. What's the set up your looking to do? There are a bunch of great shedios that have pics in the studio room here. Check it out. Welcome to LE And to the torching world

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2014-12-02, 12:07pm

Hi Jon, welcome to LE and to the addiction of melting glass!

How about asking your Dad what it would take to let you torch in his garage? Go halvsies on insurance? Build a fire resistant space? Do you have any property restrictions on a shed/camper?

Do you use tanked oxy? That's scary for some folks. What fuel? My setup uses natural gas from the house line, so my torch burns cooler but there are no fuel tanks around.

I hope you can figure something out together

Best regards,
Helene