LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-06-03, 10:24am

Default Getting reducing effects I don't want...

So lately more and more frequently I have been getting reducing effects when they aren't wanted. I think my oxygen concentrator might be crapping out. It feels like I am turning the propane down more and more to avoid the unwanted reduction. My flame doesn't LOOK like a reducing flame when I'm getting these effects, not really. So I don't know what's going on. Wondering if I'm getting lower oxygen percentage or pressure. The machine says it's giving between 4-5lpm but who knows?

The problems I am having with glass are things like... my lead clears are getting a reduction film on them and looking dirty... my corals are looking really yucky... and I'm getting reduction with some of my frits when I don't want it.

I haven't done any servicing on my oxygen concentrator and I've had this thing for years and years. It only does up to 5lpm and I'm on a nortel minor. I have a second concentrator that I'm not using right now because it started having some issues (alarm going off, overheating I think, just would stop working, it worked sporadically and I finally gave up on it - it was a 5lpm unit as well). I just don't know how to fix either of these concentrators and now I'm starting to get really frustrated because I don't even know how to clean the filters.

I am even getting very tempted to buy a new oxycon that has higher output but I think if I could do a bit of troubleshooting with one or two of the 5 lpm concentrators (which I used to use together and I really liked that)... well maybe then I wouldn't have to buy a new one.

Advice?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2014-06-03, 1:15pm

Have you changed the filters? Sometimes you can get lucky to find a near-by place to service them too, but some states insist on a prescription to have one (totally stupid imo).

Old 2014-06-03, 2:43pm

Changing the filters, at least on mine, is pretty much a no-brainer. You open it up where it looks like the filters are, and there the filters are.
Old 2014-06-03, 5:48pm
Dynamic Duo

at the bottom of your propane tank? how old are your hoses? other things to consider

Old 2014-06-03, 5:55pm
Phill

Also I have heard that it is better to not turn them all the way up but back the knob off the top a little bit.

Seems the "purity" percentage of oxygen coming out drops if you try to run them at max. Backing the knob down an eighth to a quarter of a turn can increase the percentage of oxygen coming out. For example if you have it maxed out the percentage of pure oxygen coming out is like 93% but if you back it off a bit you get less "air" and more oxygen like around 98%. The amount of stuff coming out is decreased a very tiny bit but the percentage of oxygen goes up.

Any time the filters start to clog then the out put numbers will go down too and you might have to back it off a little more from the top end.

You could always rent a small bottle and a regulator and see if tanked o2 shows much difference I guess.

Last edited by Speedslug; 2014-06-03 at 5:57pm.