LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2008-10-28, 4:08pm

Default I really want to make a chess set

OK so my fiance love chess, and I really want to make him a chess set for xmas. I have had this link bookmarked for a while - http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=4871 - and I think I might be able to use it, along with glass beads, to make a really unique chess set. What do you think I would need to do so? I don't know anything about turning wood so I'm not exactly sure what this kit comes with (like, does it have more than I would need to use glass? Or not enough?)

I guess what I'm hoping for is, the set having lengths of something that I can slide a bead onto and put the top on. Has anybody done this before, or have any suggestions for how to do this?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-10-29, 6:47am

You would have to find out what size the mandrel was in them so you know if your beads would fit on it. I think those wood turning blanks are sometimes alot bigger than our mandrels. Would be super cool though!!!
Jessica

Old 2008-10-29, 7:00pm
Anyone need some spacers?

I think this is a fab idea, please post photos if when you get it done.

Old 2008-10-30, 8:45am
Who me?

I would say that the bolt shown is about 1/4 inch diameter. You could buy althread the size of the bolt shown - I'd ask but it's probably 1/4-20 meaning 1/4 in idameter and 20 threads per inch. Allthread can be found at any hardware store in 36 inch lengths. Cut the allthread to the length you want. Make your beads on a 1/4 inch mandrel couble dipped in release. You may need a net under the base since it does not look threaded.

Check out the instructions and photos at the bottom here.

http://www2.woodcraft.com/pdf/77B95.pdf

I did something similar a few Christmases ago with a brass candle snuffer I got at Dollar Tree that came with a wooden handle. Good luck and show us the results.

Last edited by swamper; 2008-10-30 at 8:54am.
Old 2008-10-30, 6:37pm

Hi, I'm brand new here and actually this will be my first posting!

I just started lampwork about 1 month ago by taking a class and have since bought a Bobcat and an M-10 oxycon. Anyhow, enough about that....

Besides trying my hand at lampwork, I also dabble in work with my laser engraver. When I read this posting I thought about some of the engraved black granite I've done. It is 12" x 12" x 3/8" thick. Its a heavy (6lb) piece that would look great as the chess board for your pieces. I'm not sure what you had in mind for the board, but if you're intersted let me know. I can make one and post pictures. It can be as simple or elegant as you want.

You can get an idea of what it might look like in the link below. There are pictures of some engravings done on granite. The "Star Wars" one is something I did last week and put in a shadowbox frame. Hope that helps you visualize. http://www.machinaria.com/Gallerygranitemarble.html
Old 2008-10-30, 7:15pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckey29 View Post
Hi, I'm brand new here and actually this will be my first posting!

I just started lampwork about 1 month ago by taking a class and have since bought a Bobcat and an M-10 oxycon. Anyhow, enough about that....

Besides trying my hand at lampwork, I also dabble in work with my laser engraver. When I read this posting I thought about some of the engraved black granite I've done. It is 12" x 12" x 3/8" thick. Its a heavy (6lb) piece that would look great as the chess board for your pieces. I'm not sure what you had in mind for the board, but if you're intersted let me know. I can make one and post pictures. It can be as simple or elegant as you want.

You can get an idea of what it might look like in the link below. There are pictures of some engravings done on granite. The "Star Wars" one is something I did last week and put in a shadowbox frame. Hope that helps you visualize. http://www.machinaria.com/Gallerygranitemarble.html
What sort of price would I be looking at?

Old 2008-11-02, 3:09pm
I speak Murrini!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyhoust View Post
OK so my fiance love chess, and I really want to make him a chess set for xmas. I have had this link bookmarked for a while - http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=4871 - and I think I might be able to use it, along with glass beads, to make a really unique chess set. What do you think I would need to do so? I don't know anything about turning wood so I'm not exactly sure what this kit comes with (like, does it have more than I would need to use glass? Or not enough?)

I guess what I'm hoping for is, the set having lengths of something that I can slide a bead onto and put the top on. Has anybody done this before, or have any suggestions for how to do this?
Resurrecting your inquiry - did you decide on making one? I came across this photo the other day, when I received my Glass Craft Expo 2009 schedule...and clicked on the photos in the gallery portion - check this out...adorable! Not suggesting you copy - maybe it is something you could purchase. Go to this link for the Glass Craft Expo, and below the Gallery of Excellence, where the thumbnail pics. are lined up in two rows, click on picture #9 of 12 (third picture from the left in the second row):

http://www.glasscraftexpo.com/

Isn't that great!?!

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2008-11-02, 3:13pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by theglasszone View Post
Resurrecting your inquiry - did you decide on making one? I came across this photo the other day, when I received my Glass Craft Expo 2009 schedule...and clicked on the photos in the gallery portion - check this out...adorable! Not suggesting you copy - maybe it is something you could purchase. Go to this link for the Glass Craft Expo, and below the Gallery of Excellence, where the thumbnail pics. are lined up in two rows, click on picture #9 of 12 (third picture from the left in the second row):

http://www.glasscraftexpo.com/

Isn't that great!?!

De
WOW that is awesome!! No I haven't even ordered the wood turning set yet... the set in that photo is giving me lots of great ideas though... thanks for sharing it.

Old 2008-11-02, 3:22pm
I speak Murrini!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyhoust View Post
WOW that is awesome!! No I haven't even ordered the wood turning set yet... the set in that photo is giving me lots of great ideas though... thanks for sharing it.
Ah, the wheels are turning now!!! I have two froggie pieces from these guys...I have a simple frog on a bump, somewhat like their "pawn" pieces, then I have a froggie hanging on a long, blown ornament - I'm trying to find their card now.

I must say I was flabbergasted at their prices - amazingly LOW!!! I even asked them, "Hey, how come your prices are so low?" They replied that since this is one of the "foundation" designs they've been making for years, they didn't feel right charging a great deal for something they can whip out in short order! What a great bunch of glass people! If I manage to make it to the GC Expo again this year, I'm buying BUNCHES!!! The detail in their frog pieces are amazing!!!!

Good luck Amy!

DeAnne in CA (Darn it! Can't seem to find their card...Does anyone recognize this artist?)

Old 2008-11-02, 3:55pm
Scientific Glass Girl

gianni toso makes the most amazing glass chess sets i have EVER seen.

http://www.giannitoso.com/webpages/gallery-lw.php

Old 2008-11-03, 9:35am

WOW! Gianni's chess sets are awesome!

Amy - The engraved granite 12x12 pieces are $39.00 + actual shipping. I do these for a variety of people. If you wanted something fancier than just black/white squares let me know and we can design something together. . . . I have had someone inquire before about a checker board for kids that was personalized, as an example.
Old 2008-11-03, 10:41am
I speak Murrini!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlivELampworK View Post

Wow!!!!! I'm (almost!) speechless...what fantastic talent!!! If I could do even just one face like that - ever - I'd be in heaven! Thanks so much, Ali, for the link...

De

Old 2008-11-03, 4:26pm

DeAnne - have you figured out who the frog chess set artist is yet? I LOVE it and want to look at more of their work.
Jessica
PS. I thought a chess set would be a great gift for my dad, I will work on one and post pics for everyone when it is done.

Old 2008-11-03, 5:26pm
I speak Murrini!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicajane View Post
DeAnne - have you figured out who the frog chess set artist is yet? I LOVE it and want to look at more of their work.
Jessica
PS. I thought a chess set would be a great gift for my dad, I will work on one and post pics for everyone when it is done.
For the life of me, I can't recall. Maybe I'll ask Loco - she was there selling at G C Expo; maybe I'll write them directly!

Regards from CA,
De

Old 2008-11-03, 6:16pm
Scientific Glass Girl

yeah gianni toso is the man. i have seen one of his chess sets in person, and i actually got to see him demo and hear him lecture. he is a cool dude.

Old 2008-11-03, 6:42pm
Borovangelist

There was a Gianni Toso GlassCaster podcast too. He sounds like a neat guy
Old 2008-11-16, 8:19am

Amy,
I am working on a Chess set myself. Mine is off of the end of the mandrel ... I am making traditional shapes with different colors. My pawns are what I have finished for one side. I'll get some photoes together and post them. I would love to see what you are doing.
Old 2008-11-16, 3:20pm
novembersfyre everywhere

I have another suggestion. Try doing some sculptural pieces on the thimble mandrels. I just recently started working with mine and the finished piece stands up well. They are very easy to manage sculpture on.

Of course your pieces would be hollow but you could leave them that way or maybe fill them with resin and put a felt circle over the bottom. The basic thimble shape would be a great jumping off point for sculptural castles. It would be easy to add heads (human or horse) to the top. Just a thought

Linda (swamperfolk) sells them here:

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php...ng_id=16714281

Last edited by MaryBeth; 2008-11-18 at 10:45pm. Reason: spelling
Old 2008-11-18, 5:37pm
I speak Murrini!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicajane View Post
Jessica
Found it - with the help of Toni...see this link - Posts #14 and 16:

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=105399

I'm looking forward to seeing them come April '09 - I'll be adding to my Froggie collection!!! I love their work!

De in CA

Old 2008-11-18, 9:23pm

I have ordered the wood chess set that you talked about above. It also comes with a solid screw (that runs from the top piece to the bottom piece of wood) so that you can have a single piece of glass (or group of beads) for the body of the chess piece.

Piece of cake. I haven't started yet, but will over the weekend.
Old 2008-11-18, 10:38pm
I speak Murrini!

Oooooo, it's gonna be so great!!! Will you please show us your progress, G? I'd love to see how it goes...and how it looks finished!!!

De

Old 2008-11-19, 5:59am
Formerly Deesigned Beads

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlivELampworK View Post

WOW, double wow. that is absolutely unbelievably amazing!

Old 2008-11-19, 9:39am

I took Gianni's class at Corning last year. He really is pretty incredible..
Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2008-11-21, 10:24am

Wow... is right on the Frog set....
Mine is very simple compared to that.
still need to get pics to the site.
lendy
Old 2008-11-21, 8:52pm

The Flow this addition has a little article on a lampwork chess set. It is really cool.

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2008-11-21, 9:42pm
I speak Murrini!

Doh!!! Really, Lara? It's like they've been reading our mind (giggle!) I wanna see it...I'll check if I can find the latest edition, since I don't have a subscription

Thank you for letting us know...

De

Old 2009-01-27, 4:47pm
Nube

WOW, that frog chess set is really cute!
I've been thinking about making a glass chess set and if you were looking for something more traditional, i'm betting you could get a few cheap metal chess pieces (sounds crazy, but hear me out) and use a dremmel tool of to carve a sharp groove down the side, then use this as a makeshift drill bit to carve a chess piece mold into a graphite block. you could then spin a glass rod in this mold and possibly get a chess piece. or you could wind up with a twisted blob of glass... who knows

Old 2009-05-17, 7:32am
Ambivitreous

Hi all,

There is a Toso chess set on display in the Corning museum's collection. It's pretty amazing. There are also some of his pieces for sale in the Corning Glass Market. We were told however that they're not annealed (?).
Old 2009-05-17, 10:31am
I speak Murrini!

Since this thread has come back to the surface, I can tell 'ya I grabbed a card this last visit to Glass Craft, and the makers of the Frog Chess Set is Boise Art Glass, (208-345-1825). Here's a link to their site...although I don't think the Chess Set is pictured there, if you give them a call, they can probably send you photos and give you a estimate/quote:

http://boiseartglass.com/glass/index.php

De