No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-08-22, 7:00pm
I practice alchemy!

Default dot distortion

OK, let's try this again. The gremlin in the computer is acting up and my last attempt didn't get posted...

Today I tried to make the beads where you place dots and they magically morph into diamond shapes when they're melted flat. My first effort I placed about six or seven dots around the equator of my bead. When they were all melted flat the dots looked more like honey-combs...Next attempt, I used four dots around the equator. That worked better, but I still had some dots that stubbornly refused to turn into diamonds and some that looked too squished.

Does the initial bead need to be really small? Does it work best to use a transparent base and opaque dots?

Celeste
Old 2009-08-22, 7:46pm

Don't know but am interested in hearing the answer.
Old 2009-08-22, 7:47pm
Surrounded by Trouble

remember that transparent glass is stiffer so it will move slower than your opaque colors.

Try adding dot of an opaque color around the equator of your bead, then add dots on each side in between the first set of dots in the center.
A lot of people like to add a transparent color over the top of the opaque color, this is a preference, so you don't have to do it.

It is fun to place with dots and get them to move in the design you want them to.
The closer you make your dots to each other the more they will form a pattern.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-08-22, 8:41pm
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelesteK View Post
Next attempt, I used four dots around the equator. That worked better, but I still had some dots that stubbornly refused to turn into diamonds and some that looked too squished.

Celeste
If your dots are melting into different shapes it means you don't have the same amount of glass down for each dot, or they weren't evenly spaced. Both are very important.

Old 2009-08-23, 4:01pm
I speak Murrini!

And even heating is important too! If you heat one section of the bead to start "diamonding" the dots before heating the bead evenly, this side will have bigger diamonds!

Also, check this vid by Ross; he does this techinque for his Dragon Scale Beads, and it's an additional dimension for using dots-into-diamonds:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIobh-SsyVE

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro