Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2013-12-14, 5:16pm

Default Fittings needed for extending hoses from footpedal?

Ok I bought the new Bethlehem Champion torch and want to build another footpedal for it like the one for my Bethlehem Bravo torch. Well, when I got the new Champion torch I wanted to test it out with the footpedal that I had mounted under the bench for my Bravo but because the new Champion torch sits like 4 inches higher the hoses would not reach, so, I dismounted the whole footpedal assembly, which is simply mounted on a piece of plywood which is screwed into the underside of my bench. I did that just to be able to hook up the Champion torch to test it out.
My questions are what's a good way to extend the hoses if I build the footpedal the same as my Bravo footpedal and what fittings/ how much more hose do I need to get. Does anyone sell short hoses used to extend from footpedal? I don't want to buy another 25' of hose if I can cut and clamp hoses to other fittings to get the same effect. My footpedal looks pretty much exactly like the one Dale M. posted a drawing of in this post, it's the seventh enttry down the page http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ing+foot+pedalThe Champion as well as the Bravo torches come with short hoses already hard mounted on torch with Bolted ends and some fittings already attached for connecting another bolted hose to. Any help is very much appreciated, as well as links to Western Enterprises parts such a "B" fittings needed etc. Thank you.

John aka "BIG JOHN"
Old 2013-12-14, 5:51pm

John, take your setup down to your local welding supply ( its right off the freeway by you )
and see if they can make you up the lengths you want. I've been to that supplier and they are pretty cool to deal with, at least they were when I was there last. I'm pretty sure they have a crimper there for the "B" fittings.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-12-15, 1:12pm
I'm meeeeelting

You can either replace the hose with longer ones or you can get a hose-to-hose (male-to-male) fitting and add a bit of additional length to the hoses you already have. I second the go to the welding store suggestion. They should be able to help you figure out the best way to make this work. It may be worth asking around - maybe post in the Garage Sale? I wouldn't be surprised if someone has a couple of extra feet of hose kicking around that they'd be willing to part with.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
Old 2013-12-15, 3:18pm
Alaska Boro

A welding shop Air Gas or others, will generally sell welding hose in cut lenghts. So if you need 5 feet that should work. The price per foot is higher, but much better than buying a 25 or a 50 foot length of "T" type hose.

One way to connect is to use barbed hose nipples along with a hose coupler. The nipples could be crimped on at the shop or use an approved fastener to retain the hose on the nipple.

Old 2013-12-15, 3:42pm
I'm meeeeelting

You can do it with just one fitting and a couple of hose clamps.

http://www.amazon.com/Mender-Splicer.../dp/B007ZDNJK8

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:

Last edited by artsyuno; 2013-12-15 at 3:57pm.