Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-02-06, 1:25pm

Default Nope, Can't Use THAT Rod!

I have found that there is so much glass that I own that won't let myself use because it's either rare, valuable, isn't made anymore, and on and on. It makes me crazy. I know I should just use it and not pay any attention, but I feel compelled not to.

Anyone else feel that way?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-02-06, 1:32pm
Loving learning

I don't have much that isn't regular stuff, but I do have a bit, and I'm very stingy with it. I bought some more a few days ago (Terra!) and I wish I could have ordered pounds of it so I wouldn't worry about using it. I tell myself I'll never be able to learn to strike it, etc. if I don't melt it, but it's hard to make myself use it (knowing that I'm very likely to not get the desired results).
Old 2012-02-06, 1:35pm

I know how you feel. I always want to buy lbs. off a color just incase so I can actually use some and hoard the rest. I think I see trouble brewing. It's not even so much the silver glass or the expensive stuff. It's like "curdled ivory" which I paid eight bucks a lb. for. All of my dark ivory is curdled because it's a color I don't use very often. It has sat on my shelves and increased in value, dust and all.

Old 2012-02-06, 1:41pm
maybe tomorrow

I'm TERRIBLE about this!

I have at least about 7lbs of ASK Silver Cinnamon and 10 lbs of Caramel Apple, and even with that much, I'm having a hard time letting myself use it.

I also have some really old veiled cane (probably Lauscha) that I received as a gift several years ago, and I just stroke it occasionally, but can't bring myself to use it very often.

This is the main reason I never started using Bullseye. I couldn't stand the thought of them regularly and deliberately producing special colors that I wouldn't be able to get again because I KNEW I would buy them, just to HAVE them.

Old 2012-02-06, 1:41pm
Loving learning

I'm not even using the regular colors like I should, because if I use it, I won't have it... I know it doesn't make any sense. It's almost like I want to keep it there and buy new to use.
I guess it would be like buying two cakes, one to admire and one to eat... but that would never happen because I know I can make/get another cake and the first one won't last even if I don't eat it.
Maybe glass should have an expiration date, LOL.
Old 2012-02-06, 1:59pm

With art supplies, I've always been "Hey, I bought it, it's mine, I'mma' use it ;-D" I deny myself in almost every other aspect of life, but supplies, I'm just not gonna'.

Old 2012-02-06, 2:01pm
Obsessionwoman

Yup, I'm so afraid of another "Terra" drama.....maybe I'll use one little rod from a ten pound stash......or NOT....who knows what glass won't be around tomorrow...I have two murrini I
love from two artists and I just can't use them..........it's nap time
Old 2012-02-06, 2:11pm
Loving learning

I have been doing better... a little bit.... kinda.....
Old 2012-02-06, 2:16pm
Queen Bee

I'm the same way - it's ridiculous how a few posts about "you can't get that color any more" sends me into a tizzy. All of a sudden I need it, and have to find it, even if I've never used it before. I do draw the line at paying outrageous prices down the line though. But, alas, we do it to ourselves, don't we, lol? We are a bunch of glass loonies I think, myself included!!

Donna

Vintage & Contemporary Beads, Findings, Chains, Trinity Brass, Vintaj, Bead Tubing, Bobbins

Handmade Artist Lampwork Jewelry
Old 2012-02-06, 2:19pm

Ok I'm going to put my own two cents in here.
When you aren't able to torch for a while you will want to melt what ever you have.
Enjoy melting this piece of odd lot glass or one that isn't made any more.
IT is glass that is needing to be used.
When you do something with it. Well then you know that you have a glorious time doing so.
Glory in the fact that you can and have the glass to make some pretties with.
Now get cracken and melt the glass please.

Rose Leslie
Old 2012-02-06, 2:21pm
Jacqueline Parkes

I admit feeling a little queezy when I use my butter pecan stash but other than that, nope. I don't think I am much of a glass hoarder. I just have way too much fun using it.

Old 2012-02-06, 2:32pm
Loving learning

I don't even buy the ones that are not to be had later, because I don't want to fall in love with them & then not be able to get more. I might be able to go out & melt some stuff tomorrow and if I do, I'm going to use a glass I haven't tried yet, woohoo!
Old 2012-02-06, 2:33pm

Stocks, Bonds, and Real Estate are investments. Glass is well.....Just Glass. Use it and enjoy it, Cynthia.
Old 2012-02-06, 2:41pm
Loving learning

But I don't dream abut or drool over stocks, bonds, or real estate.
Old 2012-02-06, 3:21pm
Queen Bee

LOL!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
But I don't dream abut or drool over stocks, bonds, or real estate.
But seriously, Cynthia, your beads are so freaking gorgeous they deserve all that "special" glass be used on them!!

Donna

Vintage & Contemporary Beads, Findings, Chains, Trinity Brass, Vintaj, Bead Tubing, Bobbins

Handmade Artist Lampwork Jewelry
Old 2012-02-06, 3:27pm
burnin' glass just becuz

it took me 2 years to bring myself to begin to melt my stash of z99 rods - once i did, i couldn't believe i waited so long! i have all sorts of fun glass that i just talk to and stroke as well (ASK, Czech, oddlots, etc) but this year i decided i'm gonna stop hoarding and melt them all right down to the last 1/4lb or so which i make keep for nostalgia...lol. I have to, i'm running out space in the storage cabinet...

Give ideas away - there are new ones underneath... Diane Vreeland
Old 2012-02-06, 3:34pm
MaximumAwesomeIdeaCount!

Ahhhhh... river rock.

And pineapple sparkle...

And Z-99. (sigh)

Use LEFRIEND as a 15% off coupon in my Etsy!

Old 2012-02-06, 3:54pm

Is it really better to horde rare glass or enjoy something you have made from it?

#C-151
Old 2012-02-06, 3:59pm

Location: Loving Bermuda, dreaming of Africa and looking forward to Maine!

Oh yes ... I have managed to acquire quite a bit of HTF glass ... and I won't tell you how much Z99 I now have stashed 'cause I just love it but can't bring myself to use it .... I will tho, I will ... I will! I just can't stop buying glass!
Old 2012-02-06, 4:02pm

I load up if I can, so I don't feel guilty about using it. Streaky Sapphire, Lemongrass, Sandstone, Bubblegum Pink - anything that wasn't in the regular line that I use a lot of. Sometimes it sells out and I planned ahead, sometimes I just have a lot of glass that other people have, too.

Until it's completely unavailable, like Vetro dark ivory. I have 12 lbs (holy crap that's a lot) of it and wince when I use a rod.

Sometimes I remember Sheryll's sound advice - "It's paid for, use it!" and melt with wild abandon, but it's rare.

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2012-02-06, 4:11pm

I sold my Poppy for that reason. I was too afraid to use it, so hopefully the person I sold it to is using it and loving it. I have some curdled Ivory I have not use much of it because of the style of bead I have been working on lately. There are many colors I have that I don't use because I think they are too pretty to "practice" with.

Caroline
Old 2012-02-06, 4:53pm
Lampworkaholic!

Yes, I am holding on to my Yellow Ice until Vetrofond makes it again. Love it but won't use it.

Some colors like Mermaid Unique and Marmorin Light I don't use because I'm not sure I really like them. I could sell them but I'm lazy and it is just easier to let them hang out here.

I have 3 rods of Streaky Pink that I keep as a pet. I collect pinks, I have so many shades of pink, enough to melt with abandon (and I do).

Now and then I will melt a rod of Parrot or Streaky Sapphire or Poppy as a treat, holding my tongue and crossing my toes that it doesn't turn out to be a bead only its mother could love.

Funny, once it's in a bead I don't mind at all selling the bead.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2012-02-06, 4:55pm

I think the only color I wouldn't want to run out of is Vetro Pale Emerald.
I'll use the river rock, streaky pink, original tequila sunrise, curdled ivory, streaky sapphire, whatever, but don't let me run out of V. Pale Emerald! Silly because the only thing I do with it is encase goldstone chunks.

Old 2012-02-06, 5:37pm
Wonder-wench

You are not alone. I've been holding onto silver glass and boro, not so much that I'm afraid of using it up, but rather that I have this idea that I should "master" the regular soft glass before stepping up to silver and then "master" that before going into the boro.

It's really quite ridiculous that I am limiting myself solely based on my own internal, meaningless standards. I will have to start saying "it's just glass, get on with it!" more often.

Last edited by AmorphousDesigns; 2012-02-06 at 5:40pm.
Old 2012-02-06, 5:40pm

I was hoarding my pitifully small assortment of silver glass because I was afraid I would kill it being new. I just recently broke down and bought several 1/4 pounds and have been playing, albeit not with total abandon and with lots of research in the best way to make it work lol.

What's happened to Dk Ivory?

Old 2012-02-06, 6:13pm
Tweedle Dumb

I happen to *know* you have plenty to experiment with. You need to use some of them. You must have at least a thousand? More? I'm guessing more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessionwoman View Post
Yup, I'm so afraid of another "Terra" drama.....maybe I'll use one little rod from a ten pound stash......or NOT....who knows what glass won't be around tomorrow...I have two murrini I
love from two artists and I just can't use them..........it's nap time

<Click For My Latest Murrini!

<Click! For Pandora Style Beads!
Old 2012-02-06, 7:52pm
Loving learning

I've promised myself I'll use some murrini next time I go out there, at least a few...
Old 2012-02-06, 7:58pm
Boheme Flamework Designs

Oh my, this is me to a tee. I'm afraid I'll ruin it; streaky pink (that I bought on ebay for $34/qtr lb., 1/4 lb frosty blue, original ASK, river rock, original terra, really dark rubino, teq. sunrise coral, Z-99, old lauscha and more stashed in a 16 gallon tub. Waiting for the day when I feel good enough to use it. The color I'm afraid I'll run out of is tangerine (not the sparkle) but the original. I use it as my base on my faux boro beads.

Deb Cline
Old 2012-02-06, 8:25pm

I have a 1/2 kilo of Z-99 frit. I just think wow this is never going to be available again,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Old 2012-02-06, 8:38pm

Ha...I just got home. I'm so glad I'm not the only one. All you guys who actually use your glass like Rose and Larry, maybe you could open a concealing service. I might need to actually be brain washed. I have 12 lbs. of Vetro Light Ivory and if I use one rod, I start to get nervous. I have enough light ivory for a thousand fish and Keepers. I use clear for the centers and just coat the outside anyway.

Didn't Frantz post that they were getting a shipment of dark ivory? Please say it's so. I couldn't take it if that's gone too. And Butter Pecan is gone. All of the flesh tones that I use are going, going, gone.