Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Website help and critique

Website help and critique -- Get assistance with your website.

Old 2012-11-15, 7:05am

Default what's in a name

can everybode who reads this, please give me some advise :???

I'm trying to start to sell my beads, but I haven't got a businessname. it is very difficult because all the good ones are allready in use and i like to have one that has some meaning to me.

and due to my work I'm rather not so visible on the internet. i work in social security in Holland and doing my job for about 13 years now, i've been threatened and abused more than i like to remember. i've have been threatened in my one home, so you can imagine that i like my pravicy and don't use my name if not necessary. some people are a lot smarter than you give them credit for and it mostly are the ones who are not very honest and try to use our system to their advantage. that is why i till now have not a facebook account or other like these. I know i have to change that, but hope I can do that with my businessname... does anybode knows that???

that is why my forumname is bless, but i've no trouble with Anja...
but anja's bead is not done, not only because i don't want to use my name.. if you google it, you see all sorts of east european websites trying to sell really something else.
and bead or glass by bless has a religious ring to it. I use bless because our dog, a border collie had a white spot on her forehead and by horses (if i was informed correctly) it was called a bless. we loved that name and were really blessed by her. she is gone for many many years but i still miss her and keeping her a little bit alive using her name.

so what to use then. we had two cats who also are gone for many years, but if you put the names together you get Teigerlady.
beads (or glass) by Teigerlady??? can I use that and still be taking seriously??
another name that is close to my heart is the name of my nanna. and yes she is also gone for many many years. but how does Willemientjes glass (beads) sounds of is beads by Willemientje better?? or is that too difficult for the English market???

the other option is BTL beads. that stands for bless, teiger and lady together.
(could also stands for beautiful tender loving beads, if i had so much confidence in myself that i will make beautiful beads.....)

please please... lett me know how you think about it, I looking forward to all you input and advise.
thank you very much,
greetings Anja

Last edited by bless; 2012-11-15 at 11:27am.
Old 2012-11-15, 9:41am

I like Teigerlady.

Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Free Lampwork and Jewelry Tutorials, with easy searching, prominent linkage to your shop or site, and rotating featured tutorials:
Old 2012-11-15, 9:43am
Who me?

I like Blessed Beads.
Old 2012-11-16, 1:11am

thanks silverlilly1 and swamper..

for the others... please let me know. if all the names are crap, that is advise as well..
Anja
Old 2012-11-16, 6:48am
Peerless Thread Killer

Just my opinion, but using your real name for your art is the best. However, since you can't use your real name, Teigerlady is pretty cool, actually.

Old 2012-11-16, 10:43am
Salt Box Beads

Talking Sounds great to me!

TeigerLady
Handmade Glass Beads
Old 2012-11-16, 10:51am
Uh Oh....

I like Tiegerlady too. But it's always nice to have your real name somewhere when selling online especially if you want your artwork to be associated with you instead of a business.

Old 2012-11-16, 10:51am
Noooobie!

I also like Tiegerlady.....nice name!
Old 2012-11-16, 11:07am
Jacqueline Parkes

If I was able to have a do over, I would use my real name.

Old 2012-11-16, 12:55pm

Smile

Thanks everybody for all the advise and comments. Gemsinbloom i love your name, but i' ve it were possible i would use my own name in some form. I still will use my name on invoices offcourse but that is not on the internet. Due to all your input i will go for: beads by teigerlady and am happy with it.
Greetings Anja
Old 2012-11-17, 1:16am
Unmedicated since '62

I totally agree about the privacy thing, never ever use your real name, even if you have no issues right now you may have in the future and that screws up your business

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2012-11-20, 1:16am

Hello Anja,
you could slightly modify your name to tigerlady or get floral and go tigerlilly.
hope this helps a little, Terry!!

Last edited by squirrellglider; 2012-11-20 at 1:17am. Reason: puctuation
Old 2012-11-22, 3:06am

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrellglider View Post
Hello Anja,
you could slightly modify your name to tigerlady or get floral and go tigerlilly.
hope this helps a little, Terry!!
Thanks Squirrellglider, I thought I made a decision, but the name Teigerlady could lead to missspellings like tijgerlady, tiegerlady, tigerlady (tigerlily allready exists) so for after long thinking I changed it. now definitely to Beads by Bless. first I thought it had a religious sound to it, but it is perfect.
I hope our Bless will bring my luck.. this is a picture of her, there were no digital cameras then, so the image is not so good.

thanks again everybody by helping my to make a decision on my name.
as soon as i have enough pictures i will open a etsy site and lett you know.
greetings Anja
Old 2012-11-24, 8:50pm
shirts

Have you thought about taking some other parts of names or words? I took the first 2 initials of my 2 kids names and ended up with Luma - I LOVE the name... It isn't a real word, so it crosses linguistic borders, it reminds me of luminesce, luminate, and lumiere (the French word for light) and other words that bring to mind "glowing" words.

I agree with you not wanting to use your real name for your business. I am not overly fond of Teigerlady - I am too literal and it makes me think of a cross between a tiger an a lady (like a centaur, only not...!).

And another thing, I wouldn't suggest putting the word "bead" in the name because you don't want to limit yourself. Perhaps in the future, you will start making buttons or cabochons, or decorative sculptures... With the word "bead" in your business name, that will be odd... I am thankful that I did not even use the word "jewellery" in my business name because since creating my business, I have discovered how much I LOVE making buttons...! In the end, my business is officially Studio Luma but I often just use Luma (and did my logo with just that word).

Tela
Teila

Those were just some quick thoughts and suggestions. DEFINITELY take your time choosing a name... While I LOVE my name and am super happy with it, my husband had the opposite reaction with the name he picked for his personal training and nutrition consulting business... He really doesn't like it...

Best of luck and "talk to the pillow" (a Venezuelan expression my Latino husband uses!)... The right name will POP out at you - just let it stew in your mind and brainstorm tons!

Annie.
Old 2012-11-28, 2:39am

Lots of good points by all. I do agree about not using your real name but for those that do, that's fine too. I sort of think that the "right name" will come to you when you're least thinking about it, like in the shower. That's where I get lightbulb thoughts.
Happy creating,
ginger
Old 2012-11-28, 5:00pm
Bad Cat Glass

I think Bless will bring you luck, and I don't think it necessarily sounds religious. I agree that it would be good to broaden it from beads though, in case you want to do additional kinds of pieces in the future.
Old 2012-11-28, 5:59pm
put a bird on it

How about just your first name with another one of your words? Maybe BlessAnja?
Old 2012-11-28, 9:44pm
I like to melt things

Blessart

Glassanja

Funnily enough, if you insert your name inside the word 'glass' you get a fun name, but one that might also give people the wrong idea (although not in quite the same way). gANJAlass

-
-
Old 2012-11-29, 3:53am

thanks everyone,
i've chosen beads by bless, because when you google and want to find beads it is handy to have beads in the name, if you are known than that is something else, but i'm not... bless studio and design were allready taken. and for now i will concentrate on beads (and perhaps buttons) and later on I will see where this will bring me.
but thanks for all the input .
greetings Anja
Old 2012-12-21, 2:16pm
Fancies

I really think you need to use your real name instead of a cutesy title. People at shows may remember you after interacting, but not the cutesy stuff.

Old 2012-12-21, 6:24pm
I'm a lilac!

Anja, I love Beads by Bless and also Bless Beads, but, like many have said, it is best to use your name if possible. I understand why you cannot, but I was wondering if you've considered using a professional pseudonym, much like writers and actors commonly do?

Old 2012-12-22, 7:18pm

Using your real name makes sense to me and it keeps things simple. I have used mine from the beginning and it has never been a problem at all. People know me by my name. Works for me.

Last edited by LisaF; 2012-12-22 at 8:00pm.
Old 2012-12-27, 12:40pm
Dix Harrison

How about "BlessGlass by Anja" (One word on the BlessGlass) You would get your name in there, but wouldn't have to use it on everything if you worry about stalkers.

To me if you use Bless'ed' Glass it sounds religious...kind of like you make rosaries and other sacred items.
Old 2012-12-30, 8:34am

Thanks overyone for all the advise, I'm now on etsy with Beads by Bless and happy with the name. Only a few items are on etsy but I'm busy to make some more.
I wish everybody a very good 2013 with lots off love, success and health
Greetings Anja
Old 2012-12-30, 8:52am
Melody of Glass

I agree with you, Anja, that Bless has a religious connotation which might appeal to some people but not to others (including myself in the latter group). However, the way you've chosen to use it sounds far less religious than something like Blessed Beads, for example. I like it.

And what a gorgeous pup! She looks like a sweetheart.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

Old 2013-01-17, 12:53am
Mad about Glass

If at all possible use your real name - that's what people remember.
All the well known bead makers and glass artists use their own name for a reason - it works.
But as you can't I think Beads by Bless is a good compromise.

[url]

Old 2013-01-17, 5:44am
Artistically Absorbed

I have such a common name that I use my first and middle name for my art. Rebecca Anderson is an extremely common name, but Becca Grace is not. My only regret is that I didn't include beads in the name, I used studio with it. But I also make jewelry, paint and may offer other mediums as well so it seemed more logical, but really not more practical.

Believe in Yourself and Anything is Possible!
SRA Artist A64

Old 2013-04-12, 5:27am
Pincel de Fuego

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirts View Post
Have you thought about taking some other parts of names or words? I took the first 2 initials of my 2 kids names and ended up with Luma - I LOVE the name... It isn't a real word, so it crosses linguistic borders, it reminds me of luminesce, luminate, and lumiere (the French word for light) and other words that bring to mind "glowing" words.

I agree with you not wanting to use your real name for your business. I am not overly fond of Teigerlady - I am too literal and it makes me think of a cross between a tiger an a lady (like a centaur, only not...!).

And another thing, I wouldn't suggest putting the word "bead" in the name because you don't want to limit yourself. Perhaps in the future, you will start making buttons or cabochons, or decorative sculptures... With the word "bead" in your business name, that will be odd... I am thankful that I did not even use the word "jewellery" in my business name because since creating my business, I have discovered how much I LOVE making buttons...! In the end, my business is officially Studio Luma but I often just use Luma (and did my logo with just that word).

Tela
Teila

Those were just some quick thoughts and suggestions. DEFINITELY take your time choosing a name... While I LOVE my name and am super happy with it, my husband had the opposite reaction with the name he picked for his personal training and nutrition consulting business... He really doesn't like it...

Best of luck and "talk to the pillow" (a Venezuelan expression my Latino husband uses!)... The right name will POP out at you - just let it stew in your mind and brainstorm tons!

Annie.
This!!!!!!

/
/
Old 2013-04-25, 8:53pm
Echo's Mother

Two Cats Glass