Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-11-18, 8:08pm

Default Making a tie tack?

Anyone ever made a lampwork tie tack? I'd like to make something for my husband for Christmas. He's always wanting to show off my beads but there's just not much to do for men. A tie tack would be something that he could definitely keep with him.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"People can be the wind beneath your wings or the anchor on your boat" John Maxwell
Old 2013-11-18, 8:21pm

I make dichroic ones in the kiln.
Old 2013-11-18, 8:38pm
Glass-aholic

I have bought a few tie tacks at tag sale/flea markets to play with this idea. I don't do any metal work, but the idea I have would be to solder a post or tubing and put the bead on then flair the tubing or add some kind of screw top and do it much like the interchangeable ring tops. Wow run on sentence! Sorry. I suppose you could drill into the tie tack and put a screw post in it and do it that way too. Or just wire wrap a disc bead or something. You could make a 'cab' for it, or just a flat back bead. The Rick is finding the right style clip that you can wrap if that's what you want to do.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2013-11-25, 3:06pm

I saw some on Etsy and it looked like she may have made them similar to the ring tops but not interchangeable.

"People can be the wind beneath your wings or the anchor on your boat" John Maxwell
Old 2013-11-26, 10:58am

You can buy tie tack / lapel pin backs and glue the glass to it. I make sock monkey lapel pins , just flatten the back and glue it to the metal.

Robert
Old 2013-11-26, 12:51pm
Curmudgeon Engineering

Years ago there were tie chains. A small chain tha went around the tie and attached to a shirt button hole. They often had some decoration or emblem on the chain. A bead could be put on in a similar manner.

Wait!!

I just looked....I do still own a tie.... Glory be, I haven't had that on in 50 years. No problem though, I don't own a suit LMAO

PJH
Old 2013-11-26, 4:45pm
Nerwbie Glass Junkie

I would love to find out how to do a tie tack, you're right, there isn't much really for men.

I have done a heap of cabs in the past & made them into cufflinks for my hubby, he loves to wear them & show them off to everyone.

Old 2013-11-26, 5:02pm

sounds like fun... I agree, not much for the guys.
Old 2013-11-30, 11:14am
dances with ideas...

Key chain?

Old 2013-11-30, 2:28pm
Mr Brutus RIP

I've been wanting to do tie tacks and cuff links for my dh. He likes to dress nice when we go out which isn't too often. I do make cabs so where might one get the blanks for cuff links? tie tacks? so I could just glue them on.......
I LOVE how he looks in a dress shirt!!

Old 2013-11-30, 7:42pm

I buy posts for tie tacks and the clutches that mate with them from Rio Grande. They are made for soldering, so they have a head like a straight pin. I nip that off and that is the end that I glue into the hole drilled into the back of the cab. I use a two part 3M brand epoxy from HIS Glassworks. Jeri

Still selling beadstands but no more Puffy Mandrels.